SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hurt Horse

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Hurt Horse « Previous Next »

melanie
Yearling
Username: Melanie16

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, i have a 15 year old gelding and yesterday i checked on him and was fine as could be and when i checked on him this morning and he was limping really back on his front left leg but when i checked on him this evening he was barely limping and was walking alot better on it. do you know any reasons why this could have happened?? i checked and there was no cuts or swelling of the leg and i cant find out why hes limping?? aslo i have another horse that got hurt about three months ago and now the cut is healed all of the way but the leg looks swollen from the back of the leg and is sticking about 2 inches from what it should be. but its not swollen around the entire leg just sticking out?? is there any way to get that to go down??

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 753
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MELANIE - THE HURT HORSE OF TODAY HE PROBABLY PICKED UP A STONE AND THEN LOST IT LATER IN THE DAY.
YOU CAN SOAK THE OTHER HORSES LEG IN COLD WATER AND EPSOM SALT HOWEVER THERE ARE SEVERAL THINGS THAT THE STICKING OUT COULD BE. SCAR TISSUE OR THE TENDON MAY BE DAMAGED. COULD MAYBE GIVE YOU MORE HELP WITH A PIC BUT I THINK YOU NEED A VET FOR A SURE ANSWER.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah that is what we were thinking it could have been cause he seems to be getting around alot better. im hopeing when i go back tomorrow morning he wont be limping at all. and the other horse has been vet checked and the tendon wasnt damaged at all. but i cant figure why it would be sticking out when there is a little scar where the cut was and hair has grown back over it...also when she trots she kind of has a limp to it but when she gallops she doesnt show any sign of a limp and everyone that has come and looked at her that she will be rideable in time??

(Message edited by Melanie16 on January 16, 2008)

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she's still limping at a trot she's not rideable at this point but time does heal a lot so she may be in the future. Could you post any pics of the swelling?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 755
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

melanie- do you have a creek nearby? also it could be that you have a pocket of infection in there. how does it feel?

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah we do have a creek in the pasture our horses are in and it has a lot of big rocks in it and around it. How does what feel on which horse?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the swelling on the 2nd horse is it squishy or hard? Arrange the rocks to make some rapids in the creek and a safe place for him to stand. stand him in it a couple of times a day for 10 min a wack

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The seconds horse's leg it is squishy. Ok i will be doing that first thing in the morning when i go to check on the horses. So what do you think made him limp?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 761
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the first had a stone to start to recover so quickly.

I'm guessing that there is a pocket of infection in the 2nd horses leg. Will know more depending on how he responds to the cold water. If it is infection antibiotics and possibly a lancing of the pocket should do the trick. I cant be certain as I cant see or feel this myself so b4 lancing plz get another opinion just to be safe.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im hoping he wont be limping anymore when i go see him tomorrow, he didnt have a bad limp at all when i checked on him this evening so i think tomorrow morning he should be just fine again. Well we do have her on some antibiotics and we have been shooting her with some penicilin. What do they do if it has to be lanced? I wanna thank you soo much for giving me all this advice.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 763
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sometimes with a major wound it will heal over nicely but there will be something left inside to cause infection (it can be so much as a sliver) It then sits there and festers but doesnt have anywhere to go. It then starts to kinda eat the good flesh and bone around it. Lancing will simply give this infection and hopefully what caused it a way out of the horse. You cut a drain in the lower portion of the pocket and then gently squeeze the infection out. It will take several days b4 the infection completely drains and the drain has to be kept open and clean. There are other things that can be a little squishy tho. so Im not guaranteeing there even is an infection. I used to live in the middle of nowhere and rarely had access to a vet so I performed a lot of things that a vet should do out of nessatity. I have used a needle and syrynge to pull off some of the infection instead of lancing to make sure it really was an infection before lancing

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, today i went to check on my horses and the gelding is walking alot better now but still kind of rest the leg that was hurt and i dont know why he would be doing that?? and the other horse with the hurt leg has been on anti biotics for 2 weeks and the leg used to be squishy but is now hard...and i was wondering why it got hard for?? could it be because of the change of weather. because the high today was 18 degrees

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone! i checked on my horses today and the gelding is walking just fine now! :-) and the other horse seems to be doing alot better now also but her leg isnt squishy anymore and is now hard and i dont know why it is hard now?? could it be that the weather is alot colder now?? because some days it will be squishy and then one day it will be hard??

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US