SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Equine cloning????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Equine cloning???? « Previous Next »

Beth
Weanling
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard a bit about equine cloning and I don't understand the whole process except for the 'you clone them and they are basically reborn physically and genetically identical' part. Can somone please fill me in?
Beth

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 706
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i herd something about this to. I know they cloned the famous raceing mules but it didnt work out the way they expected. The clones looked the same and of course had the same dna but instead of being first place runners they came in last alot.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 707
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060117084039.htm

http://www.clonesafety.org/

(Message edited by bugrace2000 on January 13, 2008)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 708
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clonesafety.org/

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know a lot about cloning but there was an Arab and I believe a warmblood of some type done too. The only thing that is the same is the DNA, the horses didn't come out even looking like the one they cloned, different white markings etc. They are finding that even though genetics obviously play a big part, how the horse is raised, handled etc play a big part too so you probably will not get the EXACT same horse.

I'm personally not a fan of it, just my opinion :-)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check the article on this site about the cloned mules (follow that link). Additionally, check out the main page for information on other cloned equids to date.

Environmental factors are always going to influence results such as in racing. The first time the racing mules raced against each other, one of the regular jockeys had to be replaced at the last minute with the (probably caused) result that that mule "stalled out" in the race and ended up coming in towards the back of the pack, with its "brother" coming in in the top three.

Additionally, one has to consider "gene expression", where a gene can be "switched" in a different direction - again possibly by environmental or other factors. An example of that might be a gene for OCD where inappropriate nutrition kicks it into gear, while if the animal receives suitable nutrition, despite the gene being present, the condition is not seen.

I don't see anything wrong with cloning, but consider the decision of some registries to not register clones a mistake, as without registration there is no way to track them. This is of particular importance with cloned stallions, where the "clone semen" could result in the production of foals that are indistinguishable - genetically - from the "original semen". If the registries issued identical registration numbers to the donor plus a suffix (e.g. 123456A, 123456B, 123456C etc.) and required microchipping, plus identification of the animal by microchip reading prior to any "recordable" matter being performed (breeding, semen collection, competition etc.) then there would be a distinguishable trail.

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone! I understand a bit more now. I still think its really weird though. Cloning males that had to be gelded for non genectic reasons would be helpful from a breeding perspective [and like wise not breeding from mares for the same reason], but is there any other benefits to cloning? And apart from the high abortion rate, is there any other side effects?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The research that resulted in the production of the very first cloned equids - the mule clones - was also looking into a better understanding of the equine cell as it has significant potential for human benefit:
  • Grey horses get melanoma, but don't die from it - why?
  • Stallions don't get prostate cancer, and yet humans die from it - why?
Tremendously in-depth research such as that which resulted in the clones usually has other research piggy-backed onto it somewhere along the line, and the better understanding of cellular mechanics can - as you can see - have tremendous potential in other areas.

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay. Thank everyone.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US