SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Taking photos, any tips?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Taking photos, any tips? « Previous Next »

Phyllis Schroder
Nursing Foal
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the new year also comes the job of getting new photos done of the horses. At least for me, I'm waaay overdue on this and promised myself to make this my project for this new year.
I would really like to hear any tips or tricks you may use to help you in getting good pics. Anything from best angles to shoot from or best time of day to tips or preferences on action and head shots, background ect.
I know I'll go through dozens to get one good one but would really like some helpful ideas to help get a better, more prepared start and a more productive finish. Many Thanks, Phyllis

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis, I too, would like to know how to take better pictures. Mine always turn out with horse noses looking like it's a mile long. There is a trick and I don't know what it is.

I hope someone here can help us.

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had pretty good luck taking pictures and here is what I have learned through the "live and learn" method,

Choose the place carefully so their is nothing distracting or unattractive in the background

Groom the horse thoroughly, do the extra trimming etc,...choose a good looking halter or bridle etc

I have good luck shooting in the late afternoon...

Shoot lots and lots of pictures...I keep a camera in my car...

Plan to take pictures when the horses are first turned out or just off the trailer etc...they are more active.

Most of all, get a helper...it is very very difficult to take good pix alone.

Hope this helps...P.S. I have thrown out bunches and bunches of photos that are very unattractive of a truly beautiful horse.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have given up on using the 35mm to take pictures of anything more less my horses as they look terrible so I wanted to buy a digital camera this is the one I was considering buying http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7812581&povid=cat3959-env76 18-module133644-rLink5 any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
I truly hope someone here knows the secret to getting a good headshot cause I certainly don't and would love to get some nice ones, at least presentable ones. Help!!

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni
I have that camera, i have had it for almost 4 years and I LOVE IT!!!
it has an action shot setting... works great to get those running shots....http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_2519.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_1584.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/wildjericho.jpg
I reccomend that to anyone who is looking for a good digital camera without getting and SLR type.... kodak is so easy to use!!!!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANK YOU KRIS Those are great pics, of great horses of course. I really apreciate your info especially that youve had it for so long. Its definately the camera I'm going to get. Thanks Again

Joyce
Yearling
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, your pictures are beautiful! If I may ask you a question? I have another camera, a more expensive one actually. The shutter lag is horrible! Can you tell me about the shutter lag with this camera? My camera is impossible to take action shots with. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's an important question for those looking for a camera.

Thank you.

Joyce

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too Kris. What kind of camera is yours exactly? Like exactly!!! Make, model, etc., cause you know I love your pictures, and know they have won photo contests before
It's weird, today I was just wondering if anyone made a camera that did automatic focusing. Horses are so fast and unpredicitiable it's sometimes impossible to get those really good actions shots unless you are willing to stand there and watch and wait for a really long time

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she has this camera i linked to in my post right before hers.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7812581&povid=cat3959-env7618-module133644-rLink5

(Message edited by bugrace2000 on January 02, 2008)

(Message edited by bugrace2000 on January 02, 2008)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure that is the one Kris is talking about?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is her quote

"Jenni
I have that camera, i have had it for almost 4 years and I LOVE IT!!!"

that camera is the only one i posted about but only she knows exactly

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I didn't read closley enough. I guess I'm getting a little tired.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not a problem. even after reading all the reviews on it I wasnt sure until I seen her pics and post. its a lot of money to put out and be disapointed

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey guys...
mine looks just like that, kodak, and same shape and what not, but after looking closer at it(sorry i didnt read up on the specifics yesterday) mine is a bit different.... older, so things havve changed... i think mine is only 5 megapixels, so 7.1 is more... GOOD! and just double check when you buy it that it has an icon of a man running, that is the action or sports setting. It makes it really nice to take action shots, you just hold the button down part way and focus on something, then either follow the horses in motion to get them where you want them, or wait till they come into frame and snap the picture.
its nice!!! it still will get some blurry ones and it takes a bit of practice to know when to push the button... but thats the best part of digital.... DELETE!
Joyce, to try to answer your question... well shutter lag is bad on digital... even mine, but the biggest thing is to hold the button half way till its focused, then it shouldnt take so long... if you try to totally point and shoot, you will have a longer shutter delay because the camera will try to focus first.
my camera is kodak dx 7590 you could ask the sales person which one took over that model, I would assume its the one you are asking about....
I take about 6000+ pictures a year, so it holds upto alot, i keep it in a padded case and keep the lens cover on when not in use.
I dont dropit, but otherwise its been through alot!!!!
a foaling, horseshows, tractor pulls, kids sports, even out in the rain, also on a boat getting splashed...i jsut make sure i dry it off well.
good luck and i hope you like it!!!!! I know i do!!!!!
like i said make sure it has the action icon, and when you use a digital camera make sure you hold the button down halfway till it focuses, then finish pushing it to take a pic...
oh, thanks for the compliments on the pics!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a photo I am dying to share....I got it by putting a horse cookie on the edge of the feedbox for Vudu....I don't think she had had one before..,..if you look close you will see it...

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1000193.jpg[/IMG]

Terry

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 967
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry~LOVE IT! Great Idea! I am going to try it with Gracie!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 478
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, that's a great picture! I'm going to try it too!

Joyce
Yearling
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris! Thank you so much for that info. I always just press the button, (then swear)LOL!! Today was like -5 or something outside, so I will try tomorrow as it will be a tad warmer.

Thanks again!!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris thnx for the info i'll have it by the end of the month.
Terry nice photo think i'll try something like it when I get my camera

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I went out today since it was nice and started playing with my new camera (x-mas gift). I didn't clean anybody up or anything just wanted to try different shots to get an idea how the camera works and have to say I love it and it's so easy to use. It works almsot exactly like my 35mm so was an easy transition. I can't wait to do some serious stuff with it. The program that came with it is very nice and simple also.
I am not familiar with the Kodak model you are speaking of so can't help much there. But I went online and shopped for the past several months,read tons of reviews and even did a questionnaire on what cameras would best suit my needs and spoke to everyone i knew about them and got all the advice I could.
I settled on the Cannon S5 IS Powershot and I don't think I'm going to be disapointed. Whatever brand you choose I would definitely reccomend that it have the image stabilization on it though. I don't know what the shutter speed is on this camera but I set it on action held the button part way down to focus while some of the horses where running and I just followed them and then shot the pics I wanted and it seemed to adjust as I moved and did fine.
Now I have a stupid question, I have never posted pics to the bulletin board and see everyone seems to use an online program called photobucket (I've never used it). Where do I go and how can I use it to put some of my pics up to be seen?
There far from great, but I'm a work in progress.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 569
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.photobucket.com or www.webshots.com you open a free account with either on then upload your pics to it copy the link for your photos and paste it on here

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are instructions in the help section of the board on adding links for images.

Please do NOT use [IMG]your link[/IMG] - it doesn't work and makes it look like the link that someone posted above doing that!

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, both Jenni and Jos on the helpful info. I'm going to read up and then go check out the site and get started. Hopefully have a few pics up soon

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking forward to seeing them

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, here goes a few of todays pics and I hope I did this correctly. And yes the bay has a bump on his face. It's a lovely bruise from smacking it on a corner post while playing with a friend.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/shadowbend01/freefence01.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/shadowbend01/crimfrrun.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/shadowbend01/scatface1.jpg

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 578
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very pretty girls Phyllis specialy the bald face paint

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni,
Thanks, these are a few of our geldings. The girls were lazy and chomping away on their round bale at pasture so I didn't think they'd be very cooperative on the photos.
I'm hoping once the fenceline in the photo is completely finished and painted it'll make a nice backdrop for some pics.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 581
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well them you'll have to deliver my apologies to them lol What handsome boys they are lol

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job with the pictures Phyllis. Very pretty horses. I love the picture with your horse by the fence.

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No apoligies needed Jenni, they all act like a bunch of big sissies. The girls have them beat hands down.
Thanks, Marilyn I'm going to try some more shots along the fenceline next weekend if the weather is nice. I want to experiment on different angles and headshots. I guess just take a bunch and see what works and what doesn't.
If i get anything good from it I'll let you know and post 'em.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats funny lol my girls have my boys beat too.
let us know how you get any good shots. of course we wanna see some of those bloopers to

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love the pix...Terry

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US