SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal not eating

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Foal not eating « Previous Next »

Sara S
Weanling
Username: Sara1971

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 03:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I have a six month old foal who slowed up and then stopped eating hard food and hay and spent a lot of time lying down or if he was up is very wobbly on his legs. I have had the vet out on Monday, she couldnt find anything wrong, no temperature, respiration and pulse ok and colour good. She gave him an injection of anitbiotics and suggested it is probably a virus. She looked in his mouth and cant find anything wrong in there. He is now 'nibbling' hard feed and hay but still not eating or even drinking properly. My main question is, does anyone know if foals of this age are prone to any dental issues I need to get checked, as I said the vet did look but said it all looked fine, also would a virus in a foal make him off food and water.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 916
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sara, How scary for you! I am sure you are going crazy with worry. Is that baby passing stools? Gut sounds good? I would really watch closely for any signs of going down hill and keep in contact with your vet daily about what is going on. I had a friend who had a similar problem with a weanling filly and it turned out to be ulcers. I guess the stress of weaning she did not handle well at all :-( Ended up being put on some meds to soothe her GI track so that the ulcers could heal. To get diagnoised she had to go to the hospital and get scooped. Happy to say that she recovered 100% and is a beautiful 2 1/2 year old now. Please keep us posted and thoughts and prayers for a speedy recover!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do not see an improvement in a day or so, I would get a second opinion. If there is any sign of deterioration, then seek an immediate second opinion.

Youngsters are prone to catch things - just like any kid - but I am puzzled in that the temperature is not elevated. Usually in the case of a virus you would be likely to see a temperature elevation. I'm also a little puzzled as to why you r vet would give an antibiotic for a virus... :-(

Ulcers are a definite possibility and were my first thought.

As I say, a second opinion may not be a bad thing to have...

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sara, did you wean him recently? I would ask your vet about giving him some probios. Its a probotic, and good for the digestive track. It suggests right on the tube to use after birth, weaning, or at times of stress. I use a probotic daily(Fasttrack). I think it helps reduce the chances of ulcers and colic, but this is just my opinion. Hope he feels better soon.

Sara S
Weanling
Username: Sara1971

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the replies. Ulcers? I had never even thought of that being a possibility! I am keeping a very close eye on him, he nibbled at some grass today but just seems very reluctant to eat. Will update

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 655
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sara,

Everyone here has certainly given you great advice, and I second Jos' suggestion that a second opinion wouldn't be a bad idea.
Ulcers are very common in young horses....
Lots of good thoughts for you and your baby. Please do keep us updated.
Heather

Zoe Urquhart
Weanling
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will likely seem silly but has your foal been wormed?

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ulcers would be my first guess, foals are so prone to them. Maybe just to try , start him on Zantac and see how he does.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US