SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What is normal cost for farrier work?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » What is normal cost for farrier work? « Previous Next »

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Yearling
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good afternoon all. I have (4) horses that I board at a local facility here in Central Florida. I have always just gone with the flow and let the barn managers take care of the farrier work for my horses. I've never been able to be there, cause I work and the farrier comes during the day on Wednesdays. 3 of my horses are barefoot (2) are broodmares and the other is my daughters appy pony. The last one is my TB/Appy gelding. He seems to be the foot problem horse. One of his front feet is under run heel and hoof bigger than the other. He wears front shoes and sometimes a pad on right hoof. We've been thru (3) farriers since I've had him (Feb of this year). He's not lame at all, but sometimes gets "gimpy" on the right foot. I now am looking to get my own farrier who will be there when I can be there and do them when I want them done. Just wondering what the going prices are for trimming and shoeing in your areas.

I was a bit put out by the one doing my horses now, cause he's charging me $85.00 for two front shoes and $25.00 per trim on the barefoot ones, but I only wanted the mares done every other 6 weeks since they are just out in pasture and their feet really don't need trimming every 6 weeks. He told me that he'd charge $35.00 then instead of $25.00 if I didn't do them every 6 weeks. If this is normal, ok...but I'd never run into that situation before.

I just think it would be better for me to be there when the farrier is working on my horses, this way I learn and he can hear from me my concerns and what my horse feels like when I ride him, etc. any thoughts you all may have is appreciated...Kim

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay $25 per trim and do my outside mares every 6 to 8 weeks, if you go 12 you are asking for problems. $85 for just fronts is a bit steep, I would think about $65-$70.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 888
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kim, I live in So. Calif... I have 3 horses with only front shoes I pay $75 per horse, I have them done 6 to 8 weeks and I have a 4 month old filly her trim was $25....When my mare was pregnant I pulled her shoes and she was done 6-8 weeks. I like to keep them getting done all at once so that I can be there. My 4 year old needs to be worked before shoeing other wise he gets a little impatient so the farrier works on the other 2 while I work him in the round pen and then he is happy to stand still for the farrier :-)

Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking 6-8 weeks on the mares, but since they were in the 6 week rotation, it was messing up the barn I guess to try to do them at 8 weeks. So it sounds like $25.00 is the going rate for trims. I thought $85.00 was a bit steep too....the new guy is only charging me $50.00 but he's new to the area (been doing farrier work for 12 years), but trying to build up a clientele, so I guess he's trying to get his feet in the door, so I hope he does good job on mine. Thanks again...Kim

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, if you can find a good farrier and stick with him it benefits everyone. My farrier I've been using for 10 yrs now so not only does he know my horses like the back of his hand, I've managed to build a good relationship with him and keep the prices down. He charges $35 for a trim for most people but does all 7 of my horses for $175 which works out to $25 a horse. He charges $85 also for front shoes but charges me $65. He is expensive and does charge more than the average farrier but he is good, I mean I have seen the man work miracles! I also have my horses trimmed every 6-8 weeks to keep their feet nice and happy!

Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy: that's what I've been striving for....I was feeling the same way. Unfortunately, me being new to having my own horses again, as an adult, I have been at the mercy of my boarding facility for help and advice. They have of course been wonderful, but when they are tending to 40-45 head of horses, they have to go with majority I guess. That is why I decided to try and find my own and meet the farrier myself and learn myself. It doesn't help me for the farrier to come and let the barn manager's hold my horses and then try to relay what info was told to them. I guess if none of my horses had hoof problems, this would be ok, but with the one having difficulties with his under run heel, etc. and him being my riding horse, I just feel like my input is not being utilized. So, this works for me, however, the barn manager didn't seem too happy that I was going to get my own farrier to do my horses. He pretty much told me well, if he didn't work out, he was quite certain the one they were using for the rest of the farm would not do my horses again since I fired him. I tried to explain that I was not firing him, I was simply trying to find a farrier that would work with my schedule and do my horses when I wanted them done, etc. I am thinking that maybe the barn managers must be getting some kind of discount off their horses if the farrier does all of ours...I just don't know...but I feel this way...they are my horses, I'm paying the bills, etc., I should have the right to use who I want to use. Anyway, I'm learning something new everyday.....thanks again for everyone's input....have a great day all! Kim

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, I would also be frustruated in your situation. I know a lot of barns have you use their farrier and vet to make it easier on themselves (and probably do get a discount!) but I'm with you. I would want to be able to be there on my schedule and talk directly with the farrier. I say stick to your guns and if this next farrier for some reason doesn't work, try another. I went thru a couple before I found my current one but like I said before, I've been using him for 10 years now and it was worth it :-)

Charla McCullough
Nursing Foal
Username: Cmdomino2000

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, I agree.. if you can find a farrier that you're REALLY happy with they are worth their weight in gold. I have been lucky to have had two really great farriers to work with. My current guy is considered the best in this area, and after only a year out of school had a waiting list of hopeful want-to-be customers. He charges $60 for full set, $40 for fronts only, and $25.00 for a trim. 8 week schedule.

This is in Indiana, btw. Also newly increased prices, everything was about $5.00 cheaper til this past summer.

Good luck Kim, boarding situations like that are tough.

Charla

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

25-35 for all 4 ft trimmed 65-75 for 4 shoes any schedule you want unless your horse requires a tranc then its 10-15 more bucks. This is the going rate in a few state area. ok, ar, mo and also MT

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US