SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Trailer Loading

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Trailer Loading « Previous Next »

phil mcgrowling
Weanling
Username: Liberty

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 7 yrs old geilding and he is the hardest horse ever to get to load in a trailer. He'll walk up to the trailer fine, and put his front feet in and stay there but he wont go any further. I would really like to get him loading because we also have a foal on the way as well and i was wanting to haul the two together after the foal is weaned, any ideas on a good way to get them to load, all my other horses load except him, also is it good to trailer load a foal when they are a week old, ive heard the earlier you get one to load the easier it is.

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Yearling
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Phil: I too had a hard to load gelding, we are actually going on our first trail ride this Sunday. We've been working with him for 6 months. My trainer started by having me bring him in without shutting the trailer. I would constantly feed and reward him with treats. He was terrified of the trailer, bad accident as a 2 year old. He will still give us a hard time about getting in. Sometimes, it's quick others it takes awhile. It usually takes (3) of us to load him, although, he has walked into it a time or two with just me, but backs out immediately upon stepping in. So, when we do close him in, my husband is behind with a buggy whip, (not smacking him, but encouraging him) and my daughter quickly shuts the door as soon as we get him in. He then relaxes once he realizes he cannot back out. We then secure him in the stall area and I then get let out. It took over an hour one time and I ended up running the chain under his lip, this is what finally got him to step in with encouragement from my husband with the whip. My trainer told me the most important thing is, once you start, you must finish and always keep his head pointed toward the trailer. I know there are many other ways, but this one seemd to work for us. The treat that worked the best was the carrots and I always have a bag of hay waiting for him when he gets in so it will keep him busy as he travels...cause he still will paw with nervousness and when we get where we're going he's extremely sweaty from nervousness...he's getting better each time however. Good luck! Kim

phil mcgrowling
Weanling
Username: Liberty

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems i have tried everything, ive tried working him outside the trailer and then rewarding him by letting him relax halfway in the trailer. Ive tried putting feed and treats in there, still doesnt work. But here is what really stumps me, the horse doesnt seem to be afraid of the trailer, he'll stand with his front feet in there and fall asleep, so it doesnt seem as if he's terrrified of the trailer. Ive been thinking about putting him in a round pen with the trailer backed up to it, and leaving him in there and only puttin feed in the trailer, so that away his only option is to go inside to eat, but im not sure.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feed him in the trailer, I mean no breakfast then late afternoon when he is hungry, take his dinner in the trailer and shake the bucket and do not give in, feed him in the trailer once he gets all four feet in, it will relax him too and he will begin to like the trailer associating it with something good, dinner!

judy cervantes
Weanling
Username: Judy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PHIL,PAT PARELLI HAS A GREAT HORSE FRIENDLY DVD ON TRAILer loaDING,YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THAT OUT.I HAVE BEEN USING PARELLI NOW FOR A FEW YEARS AND ABLE TO LOAD ALL MY HORSES FROM OUT SIDE THE TRAILOR BY MY SELF( stock trailer)

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil, another good dvd to watch is Chris Cox. He also has a show on RFD tv, he has a lot of good methods on how to encourage the horse without harsh methods. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning horsey friends...although this is not a trailer loading problem, I needed to share with you all my weekend mis-hap. My girlfriend and I were taking our daughters ages 9&11 and their two ponies to a little schooling show about an hour away. This will be only about my 4th time driving the gooseneck on my own...my hubby gave me several test lessons and I've done ok so far, but still a bit nervous...anyway, we were going along just fine on the interstate, turned off and was going down a cut thru road to get to the show grounds...doing about 35, it's a narrow road and traffic was a bit busy, so I was being very alert and cautious cause I feel like I'm driving a huge wide mobile home or something and I'm very careful not to get into others spaces. We were coming upon a intersection and I looked up and saw a car driving fast toward the stop sign that intersects with the road we were traveling...I thought oh no, he's not gonna stop..there was absolutely nothing I could do, I couldn't veer off the road to the right because of a big ditch running along side the road for drainage.....it looked like he was going to go straight but right about the time he ran thru the stop sign and into our lane, the front of my truck was just about in the middle of the intersection, he started to make his turn and turned right into the left front fender of the truck...we felt a big boom and he bounced off of us and kept going down the road. Needless to say, I was in shock and horrified that he had sideswiped the trailer and somehow hit the ponies as well. I stopped the truck, we all baled out and he came running up the road (a 24 year old and his 8 month preggo girlfriend) and was apologizing saying how sorry he was, but please don't call the cops....he was clearly intoxicated, he wreaked of alcohol. I was on the phone to my hubby, who is a cop and this was his truck he hit...thank goodness it was a tank big F250 Diesel. Thankfully, no one was hurt and the officer allowed me to go ahead and take the girls and ponies to the show grounds, because they were quite agitated in the trailer. I came back and the sheriff's deputy told me if it was up to him, he would be arrested as he is clearly intoxicated but because the damage was over $500.00 he couldn't do the accident and had to call Florida Highway Patrol. About 2 hours later, the FHP arrives, takes our statements, does a field sobriety test on him and has him blow into the breathalizer...he blew a .132. The FHP officer told me that he passed the field test and is clearly above the legal limit but he cannot arrest him because he passed the field test...he called him a professional drunk. I was in shock and just don't understand our system. This little fella was allowed to get into his car and drive off with a ticket for improper right turn. He was clearly still intoxicated.

This is only the 2nd accident I've ever been involved in and I tell you what, it scared me so much. I was so afraid to drive those ponies home, but I did it in the middle of severe thunderstorm and hail and tornado warnings at night....this also came upon us quickly.

Thank goodness the accident didn't phase the ponies or girls for the show. My daughter got (2) firsts and (2) thirds and the other little girl got several thirds, fourths, a first, second and reserve champion.

I am so grateful no one was hurt but just keep thinking that had I been a little farther down that road when he came barreling thru that stop sign, he would have hit those ponies dead on in the trailer.....which would have been tragic for them and for our two little girls to witness. They saw first hand what drinking and driving can do. Had that been anyone in just a car, we may have had yet another fatality due to drinking and driving.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 820
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh Kim, that's horrible and the guy is able to drive away. That really stinks! You're right, the system sucks. This now lets this guy off virtually scott free to do this to someone else, who may not be as lucky as you. It makes me really upset that he would endanger his girlfriend or wife and the child she's carrying. I just doesn't make any sense!

Thank God everyone is alright and it didn't seem to tramatise the horses. How fortunate! I'm glad Sweetie wasn't in the trailer going to the vet or something. She may not have been so calm and lost the baby. There are so many things to be thankful for!

Congratulations on how well your daughter did at the show. She did an awesome job!!!

Marilyn

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 603
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG Kim! I'm horrified that he was able to get back in his car and drive away! Things are more strict here in Washington, if you blow over a .08 you are legally drunk and will be arrested (your car will also be impounded) it doesn't matter if you pass the field test or not, you will still be arrested. How can the police live with themselves knowing they put a drunk back out on the road to potentially kill someone? The crazy thing is he blew a .132 after waiting for 2 hrs so what was his level when he hit you?!

I'm glad to hear that your girls and ponies were all ok and did well at the show :-) You definitely dodged a bullet!

Yearling

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your comments Marilyn and Tracy...it was pretty scary for me....I was so worried about the ponies and of course the girls. I couldn't believe it either about his breathalizer test...it's a total shame of all the red tape that is going around for stuff like this...but we survived it and are very thankful that we did dodge that bullet and had a very nice time once we got there....thanks again.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US