SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Castration....At what age????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Castration....At what age???? « Previous Next »

donna
Neonate
Username: Hooked

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 9 week old warmblood. Both testicles are decended and I was thinking of having him gelded in the next 1-2 weeks. Does anyone have any input on my "timing"?

mariana cremonte
Yearling
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Donna, welcome to the forum. I can not offer any inputs for your question, I just have a mare and a 2 weeks old foal -also warmbloods-. I am just thinking out loud if catrating at such a young age would not alter the normal hormonal develpment?. Since I will be having this problem very soon I will check as to what answers you get!.
Good luck with your foal.
mariana

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 852
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Donna,
When I had a stud colt (now a 4yr old gelding) We knew we were gelding him at the get go. Both testicles were decended so per my vet recommendation we gelded at 4 months. (12 weeks) There was no evidence that it stumps their growth at all in fact some believe that the might finish a little bigger. Personally the genetics are there and the "program" for how tall etc is in the DNA so with proper care and feeding they will reach their potential. The positives outweighed the negatives. He was still with mom so was comforted by being able to nurse and get comfort from his mom during the healing process. No bad stallion habits to deal with. He was handled much more than he would have been and had many more experiences ponying out his young life because he was not a stud. For me not dealing with the "hormones" was a blessing since he was my first foal... I was very happy with the decision I made to geld early. There are a lot of good studs out there and my guy is an excellent gelding :-)

Zoe Urquhart
Nursing Foal
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We usually have our colts sold very quick after birth due to demand so we rarely geld anything, our vets here won`t touch them in there first year and have always advised us to send colts to there new owners prior to gelding to reduce the risks on us if anything does go wrong.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gelded mine at 6 months when his playful behavior became naughty and he knew what a mare in heat was and tried his stuff...
He is now 18 months old and is a VERY well behaved little man who has only typical yearling bheviors... not yearling studiness. I was a bit skeptical about gelding that early, but my vet said he prefers to do them that young because they heal quicker, more pain tolerance because they will move with the herd since they are naturally herd bound at that age, instead of standing and sulking in pain as an older horse. He preferred younger and free turn out after 5 hours for 2 weeks minimum. He said the more they move the less chance of swelling. The biggest reccomendation is to geld when the bugs are ver little or nonexhistant, so do it when the bugs are dormant, edpecially flies. good luck with your decision, and I guess if you have your mind made up to geld him and you have a vet willing to do it at his age... do it! (but consider the weather...)

donna
Neonate
Username: Hooked

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou everyone with your input! I am hoping to have him castrated in the next week or two..weather permitting as we are coming into our wet muddy time of year here in Eastern Canada. I am very surprised Zoe; that none of the Vets in your area will castrate colts under a year. My understanding, from info that I read, earlier is better. The healing time is shortened with a smaller incision required. The only possible growth effect is that they will probably mature a little taller and less stocky, which is what most of us want.
Just for a point of interest...this is my second warmblood colt from my WB mare. The first baby..now 4yrs was born "without" a penis. Yes you read that correctly!! He is perfectly formed outside and pees through his sheath as normal but it comes out more like a mare when she pees. At 1yr he was examnined at our local Vet College and ulta sounds were performed to see if there were ovaries and/or testicles.} Chromosome testing was done at that time and he is 100% XY male. At 1 1/2yrs a laparotomy was performed and small testicular tissue was removed up near his kidneys. He is a great horse just over 16hh and has a super temperment. This was a first for our Vet College and certainly no one I have met has ever heard of this happening before. Have any of you???? }

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US