SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding match--should I or shouldn't I???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Breeding match--should I or shouldn't I??? « Previous Next »

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am considering breeding my mare one last time in the spring. I love Gyspy Vanner horses and have the opportunity to breed my mare to one for very reasonable. He is only 2 1/2 so of course has no foals on the ground yet. Was directly imported from Europe and has great foundation Gyspy lines that can be traced. My mare is not registered she is Percheron/Morgan but her filly this year was awesome.... I would not be keeping the foal. So my questions to the experts--is this a good match? Is there a good market for a Gyspy cross foal? will the foal sell for decent $$? And Ultimately should I do it?? This would be the last time I breed her. Please help me decide
Here is my mare if you don't know:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/dodib/DSC01534.jpg[/IMG]
And here is the stud:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/dodib/DECLAN041.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/dodib/DECLAN011.jpg[/IMG]

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorthy, My response is totally emotional but WOW what a baby they would produce!!! :-) Hopefully somebody who knows the business side of things will give you good advice but I just think they would make a beautiful baby :-)

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorthy, I don't know anything these horses, but looking at the photos, my first response is also "WOW". If that helps...

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off like Marilyn, WOW!! Secondly though do you know if you will be able to register the foal. Is that even an option. Some cross breed registries do register foals as long as the stallion is registered. I think the baby would sell and you should get a decent price from what I have seen of crosses like this but usaully they are registered. If the foal couldn't registered that I think would be the only draw back for some people when they consider the foal but not all.
Good Luck!!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorthy, I really don't know anything about the market for draft/draft type horses (I breed Arabs) but I do know that you need to think of what you are breeding for. What do you expect to get and what do you expect the foal to eventually do? Is there a market for that? You want to think of the future of this baby so it never (hopefully) gets into the wrong hands or end up somewhere needing to be rescued. Obviously all horses always have this risk but well bred, PAPERED horses are lower risk than grade horses. Just things to think about :-)

By the way, your mare is gorgeous and so is the stallion!

Phyllis Schroder
Neonate
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dorothy,
I have draft crosses from 1/8 draft to 1/2 and breed for draft cross sporthorses (predominantly draft/TB cross). There are so many variables on this breeding that I think you have to ask yourself the biggest questions. Do I really want to breed my mare again and have another foal (no matter his market value)? Is my mare and this stallion a good match to produce a sound well conformed foal?
The value of this cross will be decided by so many factors. Did the foal get the more desireable paint coloring, is it to drafty and more suited to hacking out and pleasure riding than a certain performance discipline (ex: dressage) that would bring more money? How well and easy did her current foal sell? How well and how much are similiar crosses selling for in your area.
The last few years the US market was flooded with PMU drafts and crosses due to contract cuts to PMU farms in Canada, this had a huge impact on the market for the draft crosses. You never can be certain what might come up next. If you breed with a set goal in mind and to fill a need/purpose then you're already off to a more successful breeding.
You would probably be able to register the resulting foal with NASDHA. Is her current foal from a gypsy vanner or light horse? The mare and foal are very nice and the morgan/percheron cross usually produces nice movement.
Me personally (just my own opinion selling wise) I would be looking to breed her to a light horse such as a suitable Paint or TB and make the foal more desireable to a specific discipline. In my area (Texas) the resulting foal from the gypsy vanner cross would probably sell for pleasure/trailriding to someone looking for a large horse for such and at little to no profit. I like the drafty type myself but marketing wise it's a much harder sell, whereas the lighter draft type does well (more suited to a variety of performance disciplines) and with some color even better.
I'm not very familiar with the type of movement the Vanners breed has either so this is something to consider in the cross as well.
If you decide this is the kind of foal you would want yourself and possibly keep then go for it. I you are looking at it from strictly a selling/profit point of view, do alot of research for your area and for similar crosses and suitabilities and then decide based on the facts you find.
Best wishes and please let us know what you decide.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US