SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

HELP!!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » HELP!!!! « Previous Next »

melanie
Yearling
Username: Melanie16

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello everyone! i know it has been a while since i have been on here but i have a problem my mare was outside and she has a cut on the back of her leg and it has bled alot...we have a man come out and give her some pain medicine and he said it look like she may have cut a little of her tendon in her back leg...and i need some information if anyone has every dealt with this kind of problem..my mom is going to call the vet tommorrow for some advice about it and the man that helped today is going to give her some more pain medicine in the morning but if the vet recommends to see her....we are going to load her up on the trailer and take her to the vet to get it stiched up...but if you have any advice on how we can take care of her...Please HELP!!!

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your vet will not be able to stitch it since you ave waited too long. If your mare is not lame or bleeding I would just keep her on pain meds, a low grade antibiotic, if it is swollen, some sort or corticosteroid, and wrap it to keep the dirt out.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well there is no swelling on her leg and plus our veternarians around here are not open on sundays and we could not get a hold of any vets....and the man said that they would be able to stitch her leg up if she needed it....i am hopeing its not the tendon cause their has not been any swelling of her leg at all...i am hoping its not a bad cut....she isnt lame....would something like this make her go lame and would she be rideable again??

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 417
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie- A tendon is a sheath that carries the fibers that move muscles. If you cut a tendon on your finger, you may not be able to straighten it or bend it. If your horse truly has cut a tendon, it would be gimpy....lame...not right on that limb. Yes, a tendon SHEATH can be cut...it carries the tendon...in a sort of tube. If it is not all the way cut, it may work. In people a surgeon repairs the damage. In horses, it is bad. You either repair it or you have a gimpy horse. If she is not gimpy now, that is good.

I just read an article in a horse medical magazine. Have it stitched up as soon as possible. Keep it as clean as possible prior.

Can you post some more pictures of your mare...How is she? Do you still think she is still pregnant?

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 441
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is now swelling then I seriously doubt there was any tendon damage. Wow, vets closed on Sundays, I would not do well wherever you live. Our vets are on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week and are here withing 15 minutes in an emergency! I seriously doubt her wound will be stitchable one day after she injured it.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm always amazed when I read about how people are unable to get a vet out. My vet has an answering service when it's not regular office hours to page him and if all else fails (if he's at another call or something) there is a 24 hr equine hospital literally 3 miles from my house. I just can't imagine calling my vet about a possible torn tendon and being told to wait until tomorrow.

Melanie, I really hope this man that treated your horse doesn't really know what's going on and everything will be fine. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and please keep us posted.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 06:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, I am with you I live within 10 miles of 3 large clinics who have 24 hour service and the vet practice i use always has someone on call, I could not imagine calling with and emergency being told tomorrow or next week, I would be crazy! Sounds like their neighbor does not know a lot just a guy who knows how to give a shot.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 768
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie...I am sorry for you and your mare. Sometimes an injury can bleed badly but is not serious if that makes sense. Depending on where exactly it was and the blood supply that goes to that area. Let us know how it all came out. Sometimes stitching is not the answer to some wounds and they are better left open to heal with special care. The vet will advise you :-) Hang in there

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, I hope you have good news for us after the vet's visit. Please let us know what happened. Marilyn

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello everyone and thanks for everything....beauty is doing really well today...her leg has stopped bleeding and she seems to be getting around alot better now even though she limps and doesnt put any pressure on her back leg...it breaks my heart to see her like this but i am really happy that she didnt break her leg...i would be soooo heart broken if we had to put her down...lol the funny thing is she was put in the stable last night and my two boxers stayed with her all night long and when we woke up this morning her wound was clean..i think that they cleaned it up for her...but the vet said that she is on her way to a full covery and if we needed anything to give him a call...we are supposed to go and pick up some medicine for the pain...thats all he recommended for her...and he said she should be fully recovered in about 3-4 months and i cant wait....we are not so sure if she is pregnant...she hasnt really gotten any bigger..she has just been filling out nicely...but i will put some pics up of her to let you all see how she is doing....oh and today our gelding got her teeth floated...he needed lol but i bet he will be feeling alot better now!!! and thanks everyone for all of the support!!!! i will send some pics in the next message :-)

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, did the vet say what exactly was wrong with her? Was it just a wound that needs time and not her tendon? Either way it sounds ok, I'm happy for you.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he said that it cut just a little into her tendon but it wasnt anything really bad..he said but it will take some time to heal....he told me to keep it clean and put some anit-biotic cream on it and give her the pain medicine and she should be just fine

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/Melanie016L/melanie763.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/Melanie016L/melanie762.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/Melanie016L/melanie761.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/Melanie016L/melanie756.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/Melanie016L/melanie754.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/Melanie016L/melanie752.jpg[/IMG]

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie....I am really happy that it sounds that with you playing nurse your mare will recover completely!!!

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone...i have a question...since she cut her tendon a little bit will her leg ever go back to normal and will she be rideable ever again??

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That depends on what you are doing for maintenance. What are you doing her up in right now? What meds are you giving her?

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well at nights i have been keeping her stalled up and feeding her hay and the man said that we didnt need to give her any more pain medicine cause if she hurt it again she wouldnt know it and she needs to know how to move it and not hurt it...but i have been putting some anit biotic cream on her sore....should i be keeping her stalled up untill she gets better?? i dont want her to limp all of her life and i would want to be able to ride her again cause she is the best riding horse i have owned.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, what did your VET say? Not some man that gave you pain medication. The vet would be the one to tell you what you should be doing so your mare makes a full recovery. Did the vet recommend stall rest? Did the vet recommend wrapping the leg? Did the vet recommend pain meds? You need to find these things out. I'm sorry if I'm coming off a little harsh but this could be a serious injury if not treated the right way, call your vet.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have been trying and trying to get my mom to call the vet..but she will not listen to me and it is really frustrating me sooo bad...cause she is not doing anything to help...i have gotten i dont know how many vets numbers and she said she said that they will think she is stupid if she calls and ask about advise...and it makes me sooo mad cause i cant do anything about it.....it is really emotionally breaking me down cause i cant get anyone to help me....im trying to help my horse soo bad and i have been trying to do everything to help her on my own...if i could i would take her to the vet myself but i cant...i need advice badly...i have a couple of pictures of the wound....the first one is of it yesterday and the second one is of today....and it seems like it looks worse today :-(....i need help

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melanie765.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melanie776.jpg

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, it looks really bad. I'm not sure what is sticking out of her leg, but she needs medical attention quickly. I doesn't look good. I know it's expensive to have the vet out, but I don't see any other alternative. I know you're honestly trying your best to help your mare, but I believe it's beyond your abilities.

I feel so badly for you. I wish I could help you, but I'm not sure what to do either. Is she lame? Can she put enough weight on it to walk?

Marilyn

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah she walks on it somewhat but she has a limp...i have been putting this yellow color anit biotic cream on it and i dont know if that is why it looks yellow...how do you tell if a horse is lame??

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When a horse is lame, she will limp and can't put her full weight on that leg.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i have a video of her walking but i dont know how to get it up on here...if i could figure it out i would put it on here so you could look at the way she walks....how do you post videos on here??

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 785
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, I am sorry your horse is hurt. I wish that your mom could find a way to get a vet out. Perhaps it is beyond her means at this time. I see a lot of swelling in the leg. Run a cold hose on her leg several times a day to help reduce the swelling. Continue with the anitbiotic oinment that is better than nothing. Do you have a stall for her to be in? Do you know what she hurt it on? How is her appetite? Is she still eating and drinking?

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jan for responding. The cold water is a great idea. Is that the tendon that's sticking out?

By the way Melanie, great pictures of the wound, you did a good job taken them. I'm going to show Mike (my husband) the pictures when he gets home. He's really good at this medical stuff. He has a gagel of horse medical books he looks through. Possibly he can help.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after i got on my knees and begged and shed a few tears...my mom finally called the local vet and they said that they dont treat horses anymore and they said that they could prescript my horse some anit biotics and they would tell us how to treat it..but we are fixing to go in and show them the pictures of the wound and go from there....i read on the internet about the cold water hose and i have been doing that about twice a day but i could do it more often...when i ran the hose on it...the thing sticking out seemed like a bubble??? would the tendon look like that and feel like that??

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes i have a stall for her but i have only been keeping her in there at nights...should i keep her in there all the time??

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Melanie, my heart is breaking for you right now. That poor mare needs to see a vet ASAP or you may have a horse that is lame or disfigured for the rest of her life. She is a sick girl :-( I don't know if it would help convince your mom but maybe have her read these posts to see that we all recommend a vet right away. She can't just get advice over the phone, a vet needs to come out and treat her. Do you know how to wrap legs? Can she be confined anywhere? I would recommend like Jan said, hose the leg down with cold water, wrap her leg and put her in a stall until a vet can get out. Please keep us posted.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, it sounds like that may be the tendon actually sticking out of her leg and if that is true this is EXTREMELY serious!!!!! She needed to get to a vet yesterday! Your local vet should be able to refer you to someone that can treat her, you may have to haul her to a clinic somewhere but you CANNOT not do anything! She is probably in severe pain and if an infection gets into her blood stream it can kill her. I'm not trying to scare you, you just need to know how extremely crucial this is. PLEASE, get this horse to a vet.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we have called all of the local vets around here and they all recommended us to the veterniarian who used to treat horses...but the nearest equine vet is 3 to 4 hours away from our house...i have no clue how to wrap legs..i have tried before and all they do is seem to come off...we have a stall that we do keep her in at night time...but i didnt know whether or not to keep her in it all the time cause i felt sorry for her being stuck in a box and she wouldnt stop whinning wanting the gelding...and we had a man who has been around horses all of his life and has experienced things like this and he said that to call the vet and see what they recommended and he said not to keep her in the stall??? i just want to do anything to make her better and soo she is happy....oh and i forgot to answer the other questions...yes she still has the same appetite and still eats and drinks like a horse lol....and we think she got her leg caught in the barbwire cause there was blood on it and thats the only way we can think of :-(...i will do anything to make her better and hopefully while we are the vet we can convince him to come out and look at her

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barbed wire is not good. She needs a tetnous (sp?) shot, if she hasn't had one. Melanie, it's extremely critical she gets this shot.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah we were told that....we are fixing to leave and go get everything from the vet and we are going to have the man who gave her the pain medicine shot to give it to her....he is a farrier, floats teeth, and he judges horses at show rings and even owns high quality horses...so we are pretty sure he will know what to do when we get all of the medication

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm am glad to hear that he's going to help your mare. Ask him to show you how to wrap the mare's leg. Make sure it's not too tight and you don't overlap exactly in the same spot. It will cut off circulation. Keep us posted.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 786
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi gals-Melanie....she may seem unhappy but I would confine her to her stall for now. Cold hose her leg a steady stream not to hard for 15 minutes at least 3x a day, I would not wrap the wound unless you can get a vet out to show you how. You could put to much pressure on it or lock in bacteria. Please be very careful when working with her rear leg...a horse in pain no matter how sweet may kick out or lash out and YOUR SAFETY IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT! I would use an antiseptic cleaner and try and scrub the wound if your mom can help you with that and antibiotic cream, Hopefully the vet can give you the antibiotics and it is really important that you follow the instructions and give them to her even if she looks a lot better. I would be the most concerned about infection. There must be a horse or large animal vet in the area. Perhaps you could do a quick search on the internet for your town? Hopefully she has had her shots. Even the local human society might have a referral. Sending a prayer your way. Keep us posted!

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello everyone! i just got home from the vets office and we had a very long talk and he told me all what to do...hes 84 years old and cant come out and look at her but if he could he would but he has an assosiate who will be coming out and look at her...but he told us that there is no other vets in this area that will come out and look...he had got all of the same answers we got from the other vets..that they couldnt come out and look...he gave me a tetnous shot and some pennicilin and he told me to wrap the wound...he also said not to keep her in the stall cause she would be more at risk for infection and her mucles would all get stiff...so he said it was best to leave her out...also he said it didnt look like the tendon and from the way we described it...but the yellow stuff is like a puss.....also he gave me some medicine to clean the wound...im am sooo happy to know what to do now :-)....im just hoping in time she will be rideable again and the limp will go away....i seen this one ad that showed a horse that have a cut to the bone and the horse was rideable in about 8 months and it was alot worse then my horses injury...so i am hopeing and PRAYING!!! that she will be fine and rideable again :-)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie...glad to hear that you got some good advice from the vet. Thank your mom for taking you! Follow his orders and let us know how she is doing..Praying for you!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, I'm so happy your mom took you to the vet. I feel so much better that you have some instruction. It sounds like your doing what you can to make her comfortable and in the process of healing. I hope she gets better soon. You'll be back in the saddle before you know it.
Take care and good luck with your very pretty mare. Marilyn

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone! i gave beauty her shots and i wrapped her leg up and i took a pic of it...can you tell me if this is ok???

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melanie777.jpg

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her leg looks better already....please keep up the cold hosing I think it will help

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

marilyn did your husband get to look at the pictures?? did he say what he thought it was??
i just wanted to get his opinion on it too...today i have to give beauty another shot of pennicilin...gosh i hate having to stick her with a needle but i will do anything to help her get better and hopefully she doesnt have that bad of a limp today :-)

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike didn't get home from work until after I went to bed, so I didn't have a chance to ask him. There were issues at work and didn't get home until late. I will ask him tonight. I hope she's doing better today. I would hate to give shots also, but like you said, if it helps her, then that's what you need to do.

Keep up the good care you're giving your mare. Marilyn

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone! i checked beauty this morning and her wound looks alot better after i unbandaged it!!! i let the water hose run on her leg for about 15 minutes and then i cleaned the wound up and bandaged it back up and she has been walking alot better....i can see some flesh but i dont know if that is skin or could that be the tendon?? the yellow has gone away im soo happy :-)

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you Melanie!!! I'm glad she's doing so much better. I'm not sure what you're seeing as far as her wound.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie...great news...we can hope that it was not the tendon at all but just some flesh pulled out. Keep up the good nursing!

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say a tendon has a shiney white sheath covering it going vertical up the leg where I see you have it wrapped...and flesh is pink/white.

Melanie, can you take a picture of the wound?

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is a website that gave me hope...and this horses injury looks alot worse then beautys .... and i will take a pic of her wound for you so you can see what it looks like now :-)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/454098 848_b9ca84a4ec.jpg&imgrefurl=http://catchinglight.typepad.com/keeping_my_head_ab ove_wat/2007/04/girl_and_her_ho_1.html&h=375&w=500&sz=104&hl=en&start=44&tbnid=g JkKDcMRXhQUkM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhorse%2Bwith%2Bbad%2Bleg%2Bin jury%26start%3D40%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, for whatever it's worth, Mike thinks this injury will not cause any long term problems with her leg. Everything Mike suggested you do, you are already doing, so I think you're good to go.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on her recovery.

Marilyn

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone! i went out this morning to check on beauty and the wrap was down at the hoof...but when i first looked at it i thought it look worse then yesterday...but when i was putting on the biodine medicine to clean it...this puss like tissue just fell off and i could see the cut alot better....but i have some pictures of it..the first one is what it looked liked when i first saw it and the others are what it looks like after the puss fell off....also i have a question..if it was the tendon?? would the whole entire tendon be swollen?? cause i felt all of her legs and then i felt the hurt leg and up near the hock the tendon didnt feel swollen at all??

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melanie785.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melanie787.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/melissa05d/melanie786.jpg

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful with that wound it looks as if it could get proud fleshy. I would invest in some spray called Granulex, spray her leg with that, then put some caustic powder on some gauze and wrap it with some elasticon but make sure you don't get it too tight for that will bowe her tendon.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops also forgot to mention since it looks like it could get proud fleshy if you are still hosing her take some towels down to your barn and make sure you competely dry her legs after hosing since with proud flesh moisture is your enemy. It is good that when you are drying if you can make her cut bleed, bleeding is good.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, I never knew about the drying a wound because of proud flesh. Hmmmmm, learn something everyday. My husband probably knows this, but I sure didn't. Thank you!!!

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is proud flesh?? i have been doing everything the vet has recommended

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proud flesh is best treated by medications which adhere best to dry surfaces. I was taught by an old timer on the track to keep these wounds clean and dry. Proud flesh occurs when wound begins to heal it is a sort of reaction of the body to try to heal too fast, thus the tissue grows too fast.

Zoe Urquhart
Neonate
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a filly with a leg injury with severe proud flesh growth, it was like a grapefruit hanging from her leg from a stalk, we cut it back several times under a general and after almost 3 years she has hair on her leg and sofar no growth ( fingers crossed) we never thought she would live never mind become sound and grow hair! we are amazed by her.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proud flesh is a very nasty thing that needs to be attended to.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone! i just wanted to update yall on beauty...her cut is looking really good lately and today when i went to change the bandage their was no puss on it :D i am soo happy she is healing sooo well....also her walking is gettin alot better...she moves alot quicker but still has a little limp to her :-) but i am soo happy she is making such a good recovery!!!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What great news Melanie. She'll be back to her old self before you know it. Good job!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 816
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie~Great News! Thanks for the update. Good Job!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, that's wonderful news. Post a new picture of it when you can.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone! i havent got any new pics yet cause i am in soo much of a hurry getting all of her medicine so i can go to the pasture and doctor her up...but her leg is healing really well...but she seems to be loseing weight and its really worrying me...idk if it because she is getting her winter coat and she looks all scrufy....but would the hurt leg be making her lose weight..she is getting everything that she needs and is getting fed really really well...i just cant think of anything else that would be making her lose weight???

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 827
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Melanie...how is her appetite? Is she eating okay? I would imagine a little weight loss is normal because of the pain and injury. But keep a close eye on her and make sure she is eating.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yes! she eats alot...she still has her same appetite....none of that has changed i was just wondering why she was losing weight and it was scarying me :-(....i hope she gets her weight back up

Phyllis Schroder
Neonate
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI,
I just wanted to let you know about a product you may be interested in getting if you think the mare may get some proud flesh from the wound she recieved. This stuff is like magic and I've never seen anything work near as well. If you have a horse with proud flesh or a wound you are worried will go that way then this is your miracle cure. It's called equaide and it's fabulous. I not long ago found it and used it for a very nasty front leg injury that was definitely going to have proud flesh and some nasty scarring and it worked wonders, all the hairs even grown back. Their website is www.equaide.com if you want to check into it. The directions for use are extremely simple and you use a very small amount so it goes a long way. I'd highly reccomend it to anyone. Hope this helps and your mare is doing well.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone! it has been awhile since i have wrote on here...but beauty has gotten her personality back and she is gaining her weight back...but the only thing that is worrying me is that the leg still seems swollen and it just doesnt want to go down...and i dont think it could be a bowed tendon because i dont wrap her leg tight at all lol i will go up the next day and check on her and she will have it off....and today the cutt look bloody and there is meat sticking out but it seems to be healing...the other day we seen her trotting on it but she was running on it right...she seems to walk and trot on the back of her hoof :-( im afraid she will be lame for the rest of her life :-( but when she stands on it you can hardly tell that anything is wrong with it cause the leg sits up straight..does anyone know what this could be?? my mom has been calling this man who our vet recommended who could come out and look but he didnt come out sat. or sun. and we are going to get him to come out tomorrow

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, can you post a picture of her leg? It does sound like proud flesh which needs to be treated. It would help if we could see a current picture.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey...i dont have a recent picture of it cause i dont have any batteries that will turn it on..and i have to get some and then i will take some pics of it for you...how do you get rid of proud flesh??

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you catch it in time you can use something over the counter like Wonder Dust or try equaide like Phyllis suggested. If the proud flesh is too old or a large amount you will need a vet to come out and remove it. Keep us posted.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie if she is getting the bandage off she could be bowing herself. Horses who get bandages off can cause great harm to themselves. It is a rule in my barn, every bandage wehn complete either gets hot pepper or Raplast. Do you have any pictures?

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom is going to get the equaide and we are having a man come out today and look at it and tell us what he thinks..he was recommended by the vet soo he must be good with horses...yeah that is what i am afraid of that it could be bowed...how would you heal a bowed tendon?? and what would hot pepper and raplast do?? and no i havent gotten no pics yet because i dont have any batteries to turn my camera on with

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US