SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Warts on horse

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Warts on horse « Previous Next »

Kim Peavy
Nursing Foal
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good afternoon all. I board my 3 horses at a stable and just found out that two different horses have "warts". Everything I read says this is contagious and really nothing you can do but let it run it's course. One of the ponies has them very bad in his ears...he is stabled right next to my daughters pony...they can touch each other over the fence. His look terrible, the vet has cut them out twice now, but they keep coming back and look like cauliflowers...and very painful for him..you cannot touch his ears. The second is a new mare to the farm. The new owner was told that she just had allergies and her skin stays very broke out...mosquitoes and flies really break her out, but the stable owner said she looked closely at her and she has hundreds of little warts all over her around her shoulder and neck area....this is also very alarming to me. This particular mare is not around other horses, but we do occasionally trail ride together with her...any advice any one has would be greatly appreciated, as luckily all three of my horses have not skin issues or coat issues (many other issues LOL), but I really don't want to start having that problem too....thanks, Kim

Robin Culbertson
Yearling
Username: Murrini

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told by an old timer cowboy to mix pine tar and Iodine and put on the warts. I had a mare that had them for months as I was just going to let it run it's course, but they wouldn't go away so I finally went and bought a can of pine tar. They cleared right up, I never had to actually put the pine tar on her! I'm sure just a fluke but I found it funny. I think it had more to do with her getting them skinned up during a fall we had, susposedly scratching them activates the immune system in the area and gets it to attack the warts. Here is a site where they are discussing it
http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070903183730AALRfHt

Edited to add: Oops, I re-read and realised it wasn't your horses that have it! Sorry! keep your horses well wormed, that is susposed to help a lot. Stress increases their susceptibility to the virus so a healthy happy horse should be at a much lower risk of developing them. Obviously make sure any grooming tools are disinfected if they get used on the infected horses!

(Message edited by murrini on October 02, 2007)

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use equstim and inject it as stated on the bottle, I think it is every 3 days for as long as needed.

Heather Cooke
Weanling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 15 years ago my paint stallion that I was showing at halter got warts on his nose. A friend told me to use Farnams WartAway Ointment, I had my doubts but within 2 weeks they were gone with no blistering or discoloration. Not sure if it is still on the market, never had the problem again, "knock on wood".

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they sure they are warts? I had a stud that we thought had a wart(in his ear big and cauliflower like) had it removed twice but it continued to grow back and it was really a sarcoid. Sarcoids look a lot like warts but are not contagious

Kim Peavy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

turns out the gelding had aural plaques and the mare has some type of infectious warts on her skin...the kind that you can only catch if your immune system is low. I've told my daughter to not let her pony touch these other two horses and to never share tack or grooming supplies...I hope that is enough! Thanks for everyone's input.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 432
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tell ya give the mare Equstim, it is an immune booster.

Kim Peavy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Cathy, I'll pass it on....ps...I think we are both in Ocala....yeah!

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh hey neighbor! We have that sale this week, did I mention I hate horse sales? Where in Ocala aree you?

Kim Peavy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know sales can be such a pain...we live on the southeast side of town off of SE 52nd Street...we board our horses at a little stable in Candler (just near lake weir). Small little farm, my daughter is just getting into dressage, hunter/jumper and we're just having fun. My mare is 71 days preggo as of today....yippee...

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 434
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live near there, off of 80th ST. I had a farm that is now a subdivision called Legendary Trails. I am now in north west Ocala and could not be happier everything up here is way convenient. I am close to everything and there are many new things going up! Going to Sky tonight!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US