SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Post-injection site blemish

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Post-injection site blemish « Previous Next »

Shelley Graham
Weanling
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My filly was given a vitamin E/selenium injection at a day old. She jumped around a lot, but the vet was eventually able to give her the injection. The spot on her neck where she was given this shot, is now dark, almost black. She is a buckskin, so this black blemish really stands out on her gold coloring. She is now a yearling, and still has this blemish. The skin of this spot is a different texture than her 'normal' skin, it seems thicker and somewhat rough. Is there anything I can put on this site to reduce the discoloration? Or return this spot of skin to normal?

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This won't help you with her blemish but why on earth would your vet give a one day old filly a shot in her neck? We never give foals neck shots, we always put them in the hip.

Shelley Graham
Yearling
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have NO idea! She had just drawn blood for the IgG snap test, and maybe decided to give her the shot in the neck while I had ahold of her. I had read that foals could get shots in the hip, but didn't know it was the preferred area. Live and learn....I will never allow this to happen in any future foals. **sigh**

The blemish-http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/sgraham21/P1010017blemish.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/sgraham21/P1010026.jpg

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shelley-so sorry about what happened; she is such a pretty girl though even with the blemish. I have no idea what would help it, but maybe rubbing vitamin E oil on it would help? It can't hurt her....

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 621
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shelley,

She sure is a pretty girl! How strange...I hope someone on here can give you somethings to try. Have you tried shaving the area to stimulate new hair growth? Good Luck...she sure is pretty!

Tracy Smith
Weanling
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shelley, what a beautiful girl! I'm confused also on why a vet would give a newborn a shot in the neck! Doesn't really help you now though I think what Jan said sounds like a good idea, let us know if you have any luck.

Laurie Ridgeway
Neonate
Username: Lridgeway

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever shaved the area to see if the skin is a different pigment than the surrounding skin?

I think what you could try would depend on if the problem is the skin or the hair. Although at a year old I imagine she's shed out enough that if it was just the hair new 'normal' colored hair would have taken it's place.

The black spot doesn't look like it's an area where a shot would normally be given ,although if she was jumping around at the time there's no telling where it actually went in.

Sorry I haven't any other suggestions. I can say that I have a gray 2 year old colt (born dark bay) that has a white spot about the size of a fist on the point of his shoulder. He never received an injury there.

I've also seen chestnuts & buckskins with random black spots (no appy blood) so maybe it's not related to the shot, just a coincidence?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US