SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Allergies

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Allergies « Previous Next »

phil mcgrowling
Nursing Foal
Username: Liberty

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about allergies in horses. For instance the symptoms, what can cause them, etc. also can they cause one to seem sore and stiff when they walk. Also has anyone heard of allergies causing small round knots/bumps on a horse, particularly on the neck, shoulders, and withers. also what about bloating, can allergies cause bloating too.

phil mcgrowling
Nursing Foal
Username: Liberty

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering if anyone has any information

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure I have heard of allergy type reactions, we use salu delta when that occurs. I have one broodmare who is allergic to grass, she is kept in a stall all day equipped with an AC. And turned out in a dirt paddock at night. We have various inhalers for her when her allergies act up.

Jenny P
Breeding Stock
Username: Varda

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! Had vet out today thinking my daughter's horse had got into a yellow jackets nest. Turns out she is allergic to the bites of the flies and possible bee stings thrown in there too. She is also allergic to ticks. He gave her an anti-venom shot and some anti-histamine powder to add to her feed twice a day. That was this morning and the little knots ALL over her have gone way way down. She looked like some weird b-movie critter when we got up this morning. Almost back to her old self now that she's been treated! Good luck

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Yearling
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if this is the place for my question or not...but here it is. Several of the horses at our barn seem to have either terrible allergies or skin problems. The vet's all concur that it is some type of allergy, but it's weird that so many are seeming to get it. They start out with little sores on their head, around eyes, ears. then begin to develop in the mane and lastly the top of their tails...they are itching themselves crazy and losing their manes and tales. I'm so afraid this is contagious and my horses could be next. It looks horrible and the horses appear to be miserable. I hoped that as the weather got cooler, it would slow some, but not. The horses that seem to come down with it are out in pastures with other horses with same stuff. My two are not with anyone but each other and so far, I've not noticed anything on them. Anyone else have any of these problems. The vet was out yesterday for one that was just miserable and she gave him some type of steroid injection that is supposed to help. His neck seemed to be very swollen around the breakout as well, could be from his itching so badly...any thoughts from anyone?

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kim, I have an old boy, 28, this time of year he usually gets the "itchies" He rubbed himself raw, broke out in hives, rubbed out his mane, it was awful. Had the vet out numerous times, treated with steriods to help stop the itching cycle, tested the skin, nothing. Well I rotated my wormers and began worming him once a month from August through the spring and that seems to do the trick...don't know why...vet doesn't know why but here we are on our third year of doing that with him and we are itch free so far. I have heard that there are some flying insects that horses have an alergy too.....Hopefully your horses will stay itch free. It becomes a vicious cycle because they itch, scab up and then that itches...I tried shampoo's, sleezy's everything.

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Yearling
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, thanks for that thought. Seems the barn owner has battled it for 25 years, says she's tried everything too. Worming seems to solve alot of things. I have all mine on the preventicare system...they get the daily pellets and past twice a year, so maybe this is what is helping keep them itch free right now! Thanks for your input.....it is a miserable thing when they get so darn itchy and they look awful too!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US