SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How to get a mare to trust you after she foals

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » How to get a mare to trust you after she foals « Previous Next »

melissa burnett
Nursing Foal
Username: Melissaa

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my daughter has a mare that had a baby 6 days ago and she will not let anyone near her or the colt we went to feed 2 nights ago and we were outside the pen a good 2 feet away and she reached over the barb wire and bite me on my back how do you get a mare to trust you after she foals

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 304
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never had that problem, our mares are used to being brought in daily for feed and they also foal in a stall and are brought in and out of the barn daily . so I guess your answer is daily handling and feeding.

melissa burnett
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

before she was breed my daughter brooke walked her after school twice daily and rode her every weekend and after she was about 3 months pregnant i would not let brooke ride her anymore so she took her out then 3 times daily for a hour each time do you think that might be considered daily handling ????????????and as for feeding she has all the hay she wants and gets feed twice a day.so ya do ya think?????

Aimee Sutherland
Yearling
Username: Aimee_s

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe she is just being really overprotective. Is this her first foal (can't remember). Does she have a favourite treat you can hand feed her, maybe if she is reminded that you bring the good stuff she'll relax.
A mare at a place I used to board at foaled (maiden) out in the pasture (by herself, no other horses) and she kept the baby well away from everyone and wouldn't let you get close enough to touch for a couple of weeks. I think the owners were able to get close enough to check them both over, then they just left them pretty much alone til the mare was more "friendly". But this mare is a bit of a bag to begin with, and not one of those horses that loves to be around humans (or other horses for that matter).

So maybe try spoiling her and ignore the baby so that she doesn't think you are just out to get at her baby??

Sorry I'm not much help, my mare is very easy going about people handling her foals so I have it easy.

melissa burnett
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aimee friends of mine said it looks like it was her first i am not sure about the history of the horse the guy i got her from did not know much about her all i know is she rides real well and is friendly the horse we breed her with stayed with her till about 2 months before she foaled and then the owners of the stud came andgot him before she foaled so maybe she is afraid we will take the baby from her as for treats we give her those peppermint you can get from the feed store i am not sure what to do with her she was real sweet before she had the colt

Aimee Sutherland
Yearling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well I would just keep trying. I'm sure you're already doing this, but talk to her quietly, move slowly, and be very aware of her body language (especially since she has already bitten you once). If you can just spend some time sitting outside the pen watching, letting her know you don't mean any threat. Once she quiets down and isn't so protective she may switch back to being her old friendly self.
How long have you owned her?
I've had my mare for 13 years now, so our bond is quite strong and she trusts me completely (even to the point where she'll now walk away from her 15 day old colt while I am working with him, Maverick is not happy but Maggie won't return until he puts up a big stink).
Maggie started to relax about Maverick once he was about 11 or 12 days old, she is still very aware of him, and doesn't let him wander far, but she doesn't make him stay within 5 feet anymore!

Good luck!

melissa burnett
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aimee i got the horse for my daughter about a year and a half ago do not know much about the horse we are originally from florida and have been in the state of tn for 3 years now and it seems like everybody sells and trades horses so the guy we got her from did not know much about her the thing i liked about her is she rode well and seemed to bond with my daughter right away

abbys baby is 8 days old and she will let the baby walk away from her with out getting upset before she would not let the baby even a inch away from her so maybe it will just take time

my daughter usually walks abby 3 to 4 times a day but since she foaled she has not if she walked abby will the colt stay with the mom while she walks abby

also do you know how old a colt has to be before you can put a halter on. someone suggested a break a way halter.what would you suggest?

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not suggesting you under fed your horse I was suggesting you take her into a stall to feed her. Our foals get a halter on day one and are lead in and out of the barn daily.

Aimee Sutherland
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for leading Abby out for walks, it all depends on what the area is like that she walks her. Is there a nicely fenced pasture that she could lead her around in? I wouldn't take them anywhere near a road because although the colt will most likely stick next to Mom (at least the first few times) something could always spook him and send him off in the wrong direction.

I have to lead Maggie out to her pasture, but we lead right through another pasture so I just let Maverick follow along. Which worked for the first few days, then he started to wander, so Maggie was constantly calling him.

Maverick has worn his halter a couple of times. I think I started leading him a bit when he was about 8 or 9 days old. (using a rope around the bum that is attached to the halter but no actual pressure on the halter except to turn his head in the direction I wanted to go. I don't lead him every day though, mainly because I don't have to worry about him getting anywhere unsafe (my barn is indside my pen, which is directly connected to one pasture, which connects to the other pasture, so no roads or unfenced areas)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 475
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Melissa,

Every mare is different. I too am blessed with a passive mare ....but a friend of mine is not and she halters her mare and ties her near her feed bucket and feeds her her mare and foal and then works with the baby in the stall with momma tied to avoid any mishap. I too put a halter on early. just moved my 3 day old foal from the hospital and tonight I will put on the halter. Number one rule is to never leave baby unattended with a halter on...not even for a minute...somehow someway they will get themselves into trouble!

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I turn my foals out with a halter on day one. Then my guys check the foal halters daily to see when we need to loosen or change the halters.

melissa burnett
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

abby and baby are in a fenced in area it is about a acre with barn in it.and yes are other land is fenced in and brooke walks her around the other land i wont let her let abby go because there are neighbors that have horses and i have not put up the hot wire yet so they cannot get to each other. does anyone know what a break away halter is?????????

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa,
They don't make break away halters for foals...the halter should not be on while they are unattended. When your daughter is out leading mom, the baby can be haltered. Because mom is so protective your goal is to definately get your hands on that baby. Handle handle handle. The halter should be put on, off, on, off....Because your mare is lactating you will notice that she will be needing more and more grain to maintain her weight. I used this eating time to take the foal out of Mom's stall and work with him.
A break away halter is made with a piece of leather around the top instead of nylon. Theoretically if the horse gets hung, it will break away. Google images, and one should pop up.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you all take the halters off. All the big farms down here leave them on.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a bit paranoid. Too many stories of hung horses. I have trees, gate latches, bucket hooks, doorknobs..even a hose bib can catch a horse. Mine have full roam of their stalls and pasture daily and at night. I can't remember who it was on here, but she put a yearling out with a halter on (which was not her normal practice) and found her hung up the next day.

I can see where a big facility needs to keep halters on. They are either in the pasture or the stall...not milling around.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah no way do ours come off unless broken. We have 25 plus mares and foals who come in every morning at 7!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy,

Well I can understand why a big facility leaves them on too. At my place hours go by and there might not be anybody around and I know that if there is something to get caught on it will. Call me paranoid but knowing that there might be a span of time without anybody around I can't imagine if something happened. This gives me an opportunity to put the halter on and off :-)

melissa burnett
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi well we have put a halter on the colt once so far he is 9 days old. we are trying to get mom to get use to us around the baby and it is getting better i am real nervous around the mom since she bit me
a friend of mine is going to the carolinas and getting a break away halter for the colt that is why i was asking we go to the horse several times a day so i am not sure if i will leave it on or take it off and my husband is home all day i am kinda stumped on what to do

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Melissa, you are asking all the right questions and that shows you are very willing to do the right thing. I asked so many questions and still do with my baby Koko AND her mama. I agree with everybody as far as the mama goes. They usually become less and less protective after the first 2 weeks or so. I too was blessed with a wonderful mama horse who even helped me get my hands on her baby in the stall. She would help herd her into me so I could get my hands on her. I got so frustrated with my little wild one! I even took her to the ground several times by myself just to get her halter on!!! LOL..Nugget didn't care..
CONGRATS on that halter on baby!!! The more you go around baby the more mam will trust you...it will happen. Take off the halter and put it on several times a day if you can. I remember Koko hated the buckle noise on her halter going ting ting ting when I carried it. I figure eighted her lead rope on her chest and butt and shook that halter around her rubbed her with it all over until the ting ting didnt scare her anymore. Now she is in my back pocket every time I go out to see her... Ya know what gets it for me? Every time I step outside or pull up in my truck....I get nickers and whinnies from both of them!
Keep up the good work and they will both come around.
ps. if you keep the halter on baby during the day, just have hubby check on her A LOT.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We use leather halters on the foals and as we all know, leather breaks when lots of pressure is applied.

melissa burnett
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi lynn the baby is very friendly and the mom does not want to share the baby i think she wants the baby all to herself which i dont blame her he is so cute.
we have not tried to put the halter on him since the other day i am off this weekend and i am going to get my daughter to halter baby because the mom trust her more than anyone else cause she is the one that spends the most time with the mom so hopefully all goes well.

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 569
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melissa, when you go out there, go with your daughter ( I use my 14 yr old daughter a lot LOL)..both of you go straight up to mom like baby is not there and say hello to her ...scratch her mane line...start at her witheres and scratch up and down where her mane grows out...dry skin this time of year is itchy! and a welcome from other horses in the wild. A quick hello and send your daughter off to halter baby while you spend time with mom. even if you don't touch her just hang out.....if mom likes.......brush her while she munches some hay.. Let daughter rub baby while holding the side of his halter ...an occasional soft soothing whoa to settle him still.
But put up with NO nonsense! LOL
No bum bums facing you or daughter. maybe have a lead rope with you over the shoulder. It's easier to shoosh away a bratty foal with an extension of yourself than your hand..LOL
Good luck! I am going to be working with My filly's mama this weekend..I just gave her a bath...:-)

Jenny P
Breeding Stock
Username: Varda

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Star was very protective of Hope for along time after she adopted her. It took a week or two before she would let anyone near Hope other than myself. We were a bit different though as ours was an adoption when Hope was 4 days old. The best thing you can do is squat down a ways from them. The foal will get curious and come to you. Stay in that position until both mom and baby are ok with your presence so near. Then make slow careful movements and you will do fine. At three months now all I have to do is talk to Star while I do what needs done with Hope. Be patient. They don't stay quite so protective for very long.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US