SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Weaning 2007

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Weaning 2007 « Previous Next »

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tomorrow will be a sad day at our farm! Amber is going away for about 2 mos. Woody will stay with his step-dad. I have gradually been working on the separation issue. I want to post some pictures of the big guy with his Mom. He is 4 1/2 mos old at weaning. Mom is only going a few miles away. I can keep an eye on her and my daughter will be able to ride in a more controlled environment. I will try to get pictures while he is still happy tomorrow!

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Jane our babies are growing up! Hope it all goes well and Woody adapts well. He will need all that love you guys have!

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww poor Woody! We always wean ours in pairs so they have a buddy. When we were at our small ranch in California, we had two pens side by side with a solid partition 3/4 of the way up. We would then wean them next to Mom and it was stress free. Mom was usually glad to not be jumped on, etc. anymore, but she could still see her little one. The foal could still see, smell, touch Mom, but just couldn't nurse.

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AWWWW Jane, poor lil guy. I have never seen how they act when weaning time comes. I wish it wasn't so hard.I have no idea how I am going to handle that. I can take some pics of our small facility to show what we have set up. If there is anyway I can get thru that without moving anyone I would like to know. I wouldn't be able to decide wich one to board away if I chose that type of seperation. If I keep the foal here and send Nugget somewhere...the foal won't have any horsie company-just me. what to do?! They grow so fast, I am thinking I better start thinking up some kind of plan...

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lynn-horsie company at weaning time is not as good as your company! They need to see you as their leader!

Tonight we took Mom to equestrian team meeting and left her there to board until mid June. We took step-dad as well, but brought him home. He has his hay in front of Woody's stall. Woody is pretty mad. I just hope he drinks. He is butting and banging his bucket. I plan to post some picts. My husband downloaded. Check next post.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lynn-horsie company at weaning time is not as good as your company! They need to see you as their leader!

Tonight we took Mom to equestrian team meeting and left her there to board until mid June. We took step-dad as well, but brought him home. He has his hay in front of Woody's stall. Woody is pretty mad. I just hope he drinks. He is butting and banging his bucket. I plan to post some picts. My husband downloaded. Check next post.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane-I will start looking around and talk to my vet too. Maybe she will have some suggestions too. I can't bare the thought of leaving either one of them with someone I don't know. But, I thought it was imperitve to have the baby around other horses. Your input helps ALOT!

Emma Newby
Nursing Foal
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine home bred a filly and they naturally weaned at about 10 months as they were turned out with others. The youngster went off playing, the mum enjoyed her break and as it happened more often they brought the mum in for a while out of sight and gradually increased this until neither of them noticed. That meant they could take the mother out for rides and the youngster never got stressed at all as she had her pals.

I think this sounds like a nice method but it also sounds like more effort and you need other nice horses to turn out with so may not be practical.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have Doc Z, our yearling, in pen by himself. Winnie and Monty are in stall next to him, they can rub noses. All the other horses are in pasture on the other side. First time we tried he jumped chain link fence to get to mom, took that fence down put up net wire with electric tape on top. We didnt put electric fence over gate so he could stand there and rub noses with his mom. He has visitors all day, different horses come up and stand by him. He doesnt like being alone. We are about to wean Addy & Isis, think we are going to put them in there with him so they can all have company. They are 5 and half months, do you think it is okay to put them in with him? They were in pasture together for a while before we weaned him.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there room for them to play?

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, here are some pictures of weaning day. There is one movie.
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/?action=view&current=P424003 3.flv]
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/P4240031.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/P4240042.jpg
Woody is still abusing the bucket in his stall. I took him out, tied him, scratched him, and did his feet. It was like normal. It is a rainy day so his friend Blue has been hanging out in the barn with him.
Excuse the long hair on Woody. His body wants to keep it.

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha Jane I love the video!!! I see he has a blocker tie ring! I just bought one! hehehehe! he looks funny nursing so big! Sending him hugs!!!!!!

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane..Woody is SO stinkin cute! What a little character

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went by to see Mom. She had big udders, and they were leaking. I feel her pain, but she seemed ok. Woody is still mad.

Kelly Bowman
Breeding Stock
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures Jane! Your horse facility is beautiful and so is your house! Always love to see Woody! I can't believe how big he has gotten.

Lynn, What are blocker tie rings?

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks kelly! I built the stalls myself (my husband and kids helped)! A tie ring holds the rope so that it will slip through in case of a pull back. It is to prevent panic.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane..They have plenty room to run around and play. This was our first fence rebuild. It has access under the barn a big mulberry tree out in the middle, square net wire with one strand of elec tape around the top. Doc Z (13 months) has been in there for 4 weeks (since I caught him trying to breed Addys mom). We put Addy & Isis in yesterday evening. Put their moms in with the stud. It was a loud night last night every horse on the place hollering about something!.
There is actually a question in this book I am writing.(LOL) This morning Addy was trying to nurse on Isis, and she was letting her do it! Check this out!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3/mamaedwards/100_2787.jpg

Is that okay or do THEY need to be separated too?
They have been together since they were about 6 weeks old, with their moms of course.
Question 2.. After not even 24 hours Apaches bag is hugh, is there anything I can do for her?
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3/mamaedwards/100_2783.jpg

I dont want her to get mastitis. How long before it should start to go down? I feel her pain (mother of 4). Anything else I need to do? I am so worried about them...can you tell?

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two more quick questions...How can I be sure they are getting enough water? and Should I feed them Foal-Lac pellets or something to help ease transition? They are on Omelene 300.
Sorry for so many questions, this is my first time and it feels so cruel and sad, I know it is necessary but I cant help it.

Lori Coleman
Breeding Stock
Username: Editorlady

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm eager to hear the answers to your questions, too, Dianne. Weaning will be difficult for me as well!

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dianne - I think its funny that Addy is trying to nurse from Isis! I wouldn't worry about it, she's testing the waters and looking for a replacement pacifier. She'll give it up soon.
Water: I would make sure the water source is really clean and fresh. Other than that, they will drink when they get thirsty. Don't worry!
Foal-Lac - If they are eating the Omelene well, they do not need any Foal-Lac. Just plenty of good quality roughage to go with the Omolene.
Apache's bag could take 3 to 4 days to ease up. Believe it or not, it will get bigger than it is now! I always feel bad for them too. I haven't ever had a problem with mastitis. I let nature take its course. You can consult with your vet on this one or maybe someone else will have a different opinion. Do cut down or completely eliminate your mare's grain ration until her bag has gone completely flat. We also put them on grass hay - avoiding the high protein in alfalfa - while they are weaning.

The foals usually get over it pretty quickly, especially when they have each other. We keep mares and foals separated for about two months, then they all go back together again. We remove colts when they show interest in the mares and they go in the "bachelor" pasture with our Shire and Clydesdale mares. They can't reach the mares to actually breed them, but at the same time the mares teach them some respect. So there ya go

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleen-
Thanks. I have also worried about the water thing. Woody tried to nurse from his gelding sitter today. He did the same thing I have seen his Mom do when she didn't want to nurse. He lifted his leg, steped toward him and looked back, pinning his ears. I checked on Mom once, and yes, felt her pain...3 kids of my own! I have not been back to the boarding facility. I am feeling pretty bad about it too. It is like leaving a kid at daycare. I feel a bit like I am deserting her. I am working a midnight tonight, but promised my daughter that IF HER ROOM IS CLEAN, we will go spend some time with Amber tomorrow at 2pm.

Dianne-I am curious about Katrina and what you guys had to go through with your horses, what you did with them and such. You have all yours chipped?

I also noticed that your babies still are very furry, even though you are down south. Woody is still a fuzzball. So, I guess this is normal too.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woody has some issues with his fetlock joints...back legs.

Since Mom has been gone he has remained on about 3lbs Omalene 300 daily in two feedings. That is a little less than 1% body weight. He has pretty much free choice hay..which varies in quality. Lately I have been putting him and his gelding friend, Blue, out in the grass after their am hay...so they wouldn't eat as much. They have been out max for maybe 4 hours or less daily.

I have noticed Woody looking awkward on his rear legs. I thought it was a sheath irritation, because he was irritated up in there. BUT yesterday I noticed he was sort of knuckling over, and running funny. The vet can't come until today. My farrier was scheduled yesterday and feels it is ephysitis.

I researched it. I assume his minerals are all mixed up in terms of phos and calcium. No milk from mom...and rich grass. My problem is that I assumed that with the Omalene 300 that it has "all the vitamins and minerals he needs". He also licks on a trace mineral block.

I am so frustrated. Hopefully the vet will have some answers for me.

All he has been getting for 24 hours is hay.

Question: What am I not feeding that I should? How should I have managed the weaning nutrition better? Has anyone else had this problem?

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet was not overly concerned. He has the ephysitis lumps on his fetlocks. I am to cut his grain by 1/3 and add Di-cal, which is two calciums to one phos.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet is not thrilled with Omolene, he said he has seen more cases of EP. with it than any other feed. He had me give my weanling TDI 10, and that took care of most of it, I then put her on Progressive Grass formula(has vits/minerals balanced for horses on grass pasture). Another good thing os Progressive's Foal-aide...I swear by it after having used it on two different cases. (contracted tendons/bucked knees and Ep.)check out www.prognutrition.com ...and look at dealer locater and see if there is one in your area. If you dont want to use their feed at least give foali-aide a chance!
Next controversy is excercise...one vet says lock them up to save on joint damage...then next says turn them out to run and stretch...I went with the leave them outside...and she did fine...and so did the one with the tendon issues...but every case is different....
Good luck!

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kris! I will do some more research.

Yes, my vet says to not limit his exercise unless I notice real soreness. I have to keep a close watch on my dog....he and Woody get started sometimes. I think what they do is too much exercise. BUT they have fun.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 570
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane,
The progessive product Kris mentioned is excellent. If you contact progressive, they will ship it directly to you.

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly hi, Sorry so late answering about the tie ring, but I think Jane answered it real good. I have not installed mine yet. I think I am going to do that this weekend as well as add a lower third strand to my hot wire enclosure. It is small 40'X 55'. It is the only grazing Nugget gets..about 1-2 times a week. better than nuttin!! The grass is really long now and I want to put her out there to enjoy it...But we gotta baby-proof with the extra wire!

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Mom back home from the boarding barn for a buffing and puffing for a horseshow. They don't have warm water for her baths. I put her and Woody together. He went to nurse and she said NO WAY!!!! They have been apart for a month. I am keeping her here now. No more money to the barn!

I guss he is weaned? So I guess the thread will end unless there are any more 2007 babies to be weaned....

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmmm...I have seen the young man take some quick sips.....is this ok?

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she's lettin' him, he'll continue. She may start to bag up again, but not always. My Shire mare refuses to wean her filly. Everytime we try them together again, the filly (who is almost as big as the mare now!) starts to nurse again. However, Evie has never bagged up again, but there is some fluid there. So...there ya go.

Mary Ann
Weanling
Username: Newbie

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be needing to wean my 4 month old colt soon I guess. I also have a 1 1/2 month old and from reading the previous posts I'm wondering if I should wait several more months and try to wean them together? My 4 month old is still really shy and a mama's boy but the younger one is alot more friendly and independent. Does anyone think waiting and trying them together would work?

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate
Username: Josiesfriend

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope my input helps out since I breed horses and raise them every year! I have always found it best to wean foals with other horses. Broodmares stay with broodmares, weanlings with weanlings, yearlings... and so on
If this is not possible, and you are a hobby breeder with one foal, only you can know how your mare is going to react, some are quite happy about being able to eat and sleep on their own, others really feel sad about weaning their baby. As with everything, you should evaluate weaning on an individual basis. If you are not breeding the mare back, and are not needing her for riding, showing, etc... what's the problem with allowing the two to wean when their ready, which usually happens naturally around the yearling age? Ofcourse your horse should view you as the leader, but will learn how to be a good horse by learning from a horse not a person!
Mary Ann- I would just wait and wean at the same time, that way they have each other for company. Unless you need your mare for any reason, they should not be separated until at least 4 months. I like to wait 6 months or longer with my horses. Again, everyone has their own opinion and I hope that I may have helped.

Mary Ann
Weanling
Username: Newbie

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kristin that does help because I'm new to the breeding and foaling process. I've been around and had horses most of my life but never babies.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US