SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New Breeder Here!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » New Breeder Here! « Previous Next »

Marie Pliske
Neonate
Username: Greentips

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, I'm new to this board and this will be my first year breeding. I have done a lot of research through various sources but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book which outlines the things to worry about at different stages, from the breeding itself, through to foal care. Just something as a 'keep me on track' resource.

Sandy Smith
Yearling
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several good books out there. I would definitely pick up a breeding management book, but I also like "Blessed are the Broodmares". I will look when I get home to see what other books I have read. Oh and BTW - welcome Marie!

Sandy

Lisa Van Liew
Neonate
Username: Irideaqh

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like "Complete Foaling Manual" by Theresa Jones. You can order it at www.completefoalingmanual.com You can also ask her questions on that website. I bought the book last fall and read it several times between then and when my mare foaled last week.

Marie Pliske
Neonate
Username: Greentips

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I just looked at the Complete Foaling Manual and I think I'd like something with a bit more on things like broodmare nutrition, etc. as well, instead of just the foaling. But it looks like an excellent book for the foaling process.

Leia
Yearling
Username: Leia

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marie ~ Welcome! I also really liked "Blessed are the Broodmares" although some of the information in my version was a bit outdated. Also the author focuses mainly on Thoroughbreds I think in her practice and most of the nutritional information was based on their characteristics. So I had to tweak the feeding recommendations for my very easy keeper QH mare, but most of her information was helpful and I would recommend it to someone new to the breeding world! Just use common sense with any book's information and apply it your horse in her situtation and type and if you have any doubt, ask someone first! (like your vet, your trainer, or someone reputable in the horse business)

heres a link to the book....
http://www.amazon.com/Blessed-Brood-Mares-Howell-Reference/dp/0876058489/ref=pd_ bbs_1/002-0485687-7569610?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176471837&sr=8-1

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US