SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What type of bedding for foaling?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » What type of bedding for foaling? « Previous Next »

Sandy Smith
Weanling
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed in a lot of the newborn foal pictures, that the stall seems to be bedded with wood chips. I've always used straw because I thought wood chips could cause problems. I go through a ton of straw and would love to find an alternative, especially because straw seems to be scarce around here (Mid Michigan). Let me hear your experience so I can make an informed decision about changing the bedding in my foaling stall.

Thanks everyone - Sandy

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in Michigan too. I didn't have my straw yet, so I used hay. Mom liked it.

Lisa R.
Weanling
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Straw is the best thing to use. Hay is the next best. At the breeding farm I used to work for we foaled all the mares out on hay, that way the mare can eat some of what's not "dirty" and there is less waste. Wood chips are not good-they harbor bacteria that is especially bad for the baby. All wood products do actually. I looked into using shredded paper-there has been some research on it and everything seemed to be fine with it; however I could not find it in sufficient quantities to bed down the stalls so that idea was thrown out....

Lori Coleman
Breeding Stock
Username: Editorlady

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare went over what I expected and I ran out of straw before she foaled. A friend had baled some plain orchard grass from a vacant field, which I then started using. It was cheaper than regular hay, soft, and yes, mom would nibble it a bit.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orchard Grass would be my choice, if we could get it reasonable down here in FL. My grandfather used to bed on it in KY and talked about how his mares would be so beautiful with huge dapples cause of the great orchard grass bedding.

C Carner
Weanling
Username: Friesianx

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been using poor quality hay to bed the top and some sawdust on the bottom to soak up the "pee lakes". It is way cheaper than using straw, which is $4 or better a bale.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Straw is not good for foals, they slip on its waxy surface too easily a grass type bedding is far easier for them to navigate on.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

• USDA Aphis did a research evaluation of the 1997 foaling season, and found that one of the most common denominators connecting foal deaths through neonatal septicaemia was using a bedding other than straw or hay;
  • Wood products are acknowledged as carrying a high rate of Klebsiella (thereby being more likely to encourage neonatal septicaemia);
  • Straw is a "dry" bedding, whereas wood product beddings are "damp" and will therefore encourage other pathogenic presence;
  • The flooring uder the bedding is what will make the footing most slippery. If you have a smooth concrete floor it doesn't matter what the bedding is, it will still be slippery.
We always use straw.

Leia
Weanling
Username: Leia

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When can you go back to shavings again after foaling? My filly is 13 days old today and I would really like to go back to shavings if there is no further harm from them. Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is recommended that bedding other than straw not be used until after the umbilicus has thoroughly sealed - so allow about a week under normal circumstances.

Leia
Weanling
Username: Leia

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US