SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Deworming

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Deworming « Previous Next »

CurlyGirl
Neonate
Username: Curlygirl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just purchased 2 yearlings - a 1 1/2 year old filly and a 1 year old colt. The filly has a bit of a pot belly and I havn't gotten their deworming records yet but I'm wondering what kind of deworming program you use for yearlings.
Also what is a good dewormer to use. I've heard SafeGuard and is it available in Canada because I don't know if I've ever seen it. But maybe I have, just confusing names or something! There are quite a few out there.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 577
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curly- Safeguard and panacure are the same thing, those would be a good choice for your first worming. If you feel like they may have a lot of worms, I'd recommend using a milder wormer to start with such as those above. IF they do have a large amount of worms and you kill them off all at once, it can cause a blockage of the intestines resulting in colic and death. When we buy a new horse, I'll use Pancure the first round, then move up to an ivermectin based wormer, then the third time use Zimectrin Gold ( my wormer of choice ) Good luck! Ev

CurlyGirl
Neonate
Username: Curlygirl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so how far apart do you make those doses?

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curly- generally, we'd worm ever month to six weeks. I'd wait at least 3 weeks after the Panacure and then do a regular Zimectrin type womer, then in 30 days do the Zimectrin Gold.

Ruth
Weanling
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I alternate between Eqvalan and Strongid-T, I would only ever use Safeguard as E Watkins has suggested, it is not the most effective wormer out there.
I deworm every 8 weeks, alternating between those two, and once a year double dose the Strongid-T to get tapeworms.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 856
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

has anyone used EQUIMAX?
is it safe for 6 month old foals and yearling?
Is Zimectrin gold safe for weanlings and yearlings?
I need to worm Jericho again, hes had pyrantel pamoate and Zimectrin, still potbellied, wondering if i should try something different?

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruth- Safeguard is an off brand of Panacure and a very good wormer, for a colt that's never been wormed, it's a good place to start.
Kris- I have used Equimax on my horses over a year old, and Zimectrin Gold on anything over 6 months, ZG is the one I like the best as I've seen the best results with it, and you know I do a LOT of worming each month..lol.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 859
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Ev!
your opinion is highly valuable! as i am sure you do plenty of worming each month!!!! :-)
so ZG is safe on over 6 months? no diahrea or anything?

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- nope, I've never had any trouble with it at all. I use it on my pregnant mares too. I don't use it first on a horse that's not been wormed (like one we'd buy at auction and have no history of but LOOKS wormy) I'll use a milder one on those first, then wait 30 days and hit them with a good dose of the ZG. You won't believe the difference in how they look, within about 6 weeks they just seem to bloom.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 860
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great! I have a yearling gelding I bought that i wormed with regular Z, and needs more, so I think ill hit him with PP, then all of them with ZG! Thanks!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 610
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- sounds like a plan, let me know after the ZG if you can see the results. I've just been amazed in the difference I've seen in some horses.

Ruth
Weanling
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E Watkins, that's pretty much what I said - Safeguard is only good as a first wormer when you're concerned that using something stronger will cause a blockage... I have heard of people using Safeguard only having foals with a high egg count in spite of being dewormed monthly with it. Also I have read that it is a wormer that roundworms easily become resistant too.
While on the subject of resistance has anyone heard anything about roundworm resistance to Strongid-T? I usually alternate between that and Eqvalan, and found this last time using the Strongid-T that my foal still looks a bit pot-bellied.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US