SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Epilepsy in equines

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Epilepsy in equines « Previous Next »

Tasha Smith-Ferrel (206.100.212.208)
Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare with epilepsy which I continue to breed successfully. While the majority of her seizures are controlled with Phenobarbital, it appears as though hormonal fluctuations during her pregnancy (especially as she nears the time of foaling) trigger an increased rate of attacks. Because each seizure inflicts a large amount of physical damage to the mare, I am motivated to become more informed on equine epilepsy. However, available information appears to be especially limited in this area. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Tasha Smith-Ferrel

Kim k
Neonate
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I know that this post is from a long time ago and I don't know much about epilepsy in horses but have alot of experience in canine epilepsy. I had a austrialian sheperd/lab mix that had them very bad. I would never had considered breeding her even if she were purebred. She came from a purebred lab and a purebred aussie . The sire was the aussie and had no history of seizures. The lab was the dam and had some history of seizures as a two year old. They were minor and only treated her on the times that she had a seizures. The mix that had major seizures was not a pretty site. We came home one night to a kitchen full of urine and a dog that could not walk. The vet treated her and we started a phenobarbital treatment plan. Which in the end did not do a thing for her. She became resisitant to each increase dose we gave her. According to my brother in law which is a pharmisist , she was at leathel doses in humans. Then we tried a combo of phenobarbital and valuim(sp) and that to did not work . The dog knew when she would have a seizure and would want to climb on your lap, want attention ect.... I kept a shot of valium(sp) at home and got a fresh one after every use becsue we could not get her to the vet fast enough to stop the seizure without having major effects on her body. Finally I found a vet that tried a old time drug used for humans many years ago.... It was potassium bromide(again spelling ! sorry)... Wow that did the trick. We only had a couple of mini break through seizures in a year which was really good because we were having 3-10 a week on phenobarbital. My next problem came after getting her seizures under control. After a break through seizure she would start to lick things. She licked the bathroom throw rug until she had chewed off and swollowed a good portion of the coner of the mat. That was stomach surgury. 600.00 bucks later she survived ! (My normal small animal vet was out of town and I had discussed the cost of surgury with the vet on call I was extreamly upset when I picked the dog up and actually told him to put her to sleep due to the cost as I imformed him earlier. He then lowered his cost to 300.00) So we survived this call..... The last straw was about another year later when she had did this again only with a leather work glove of my husbands. It did not move through her system and I had to make a final decision to put her to sleep.... There was no rime or reason for anything that happened... All her tests were always normal and epilepsy is just a term used for unknown reasons for seizures. I would never consider breeding a animal with seizures. It is hard on them and their owners. I spent probally 3000.00 on her in meds and surgury in 2 years time. I tried to give her the best life possible while she was with us. She was a very smart dog... She was def and I had taught her sign lanuage and she did very well at it.

Think twice before breeding this horse.

Kim

Diane
Neonate
Username: Horse_collector

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has this horse actually been diagnosed by a vet with epilepsy? Or could she possibly have hypp??? http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/service/horse/hypp.html

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US