SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pure progesterone implants

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Pure progesterone implants « Previous Next »

Horse Pro
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos or anyones input would be welcome

A few years ago my self and the veterinarian that I worked for, embarked on a small study. With the cooperation of a friend who has a compounding lab. To developed a pure progesterone implant that would give us a ~90 day duration. It was based on the Norplant idea that was used in women for a few years. Unlike the cattle implants that were used for a short time. This implant contained nothing but pure progesterone. Unfortunately the vet I worked for was not as dedicated to the project as I was, and we were unable to finish the project. However we did learn some things from it. 1: that it will work and maintain acceptable levels of >4.0 for 60 days. I felt that by increasing the concentration of the implants and still maintaining the small size so as to limit the sites needed. We could possibly achieve our goal 90 days duration at blood levels of >4.0. 2: we learned that the product released much more uniformly if implanted in the fatty tissue of the crest rather than in the muscle of the neck. In addition this resulted in fewer site reactions. Our intention was never to go into the business of manufacturing the product or marketing it per say. What we were going to do was after all our field trials, sell it and our field trial information to a manufacturer and let them work on the FDA approval and such. We never got to this point unfortunately, however I still think we were on the right track and this certainly needs more research. To see if it could be made to work reliably.

The cost we found would be about that of repository progesterone injections for the same period. The obvious gain is convenience, with the exception of the fact that progesterone blood levels could not be done as long as the implant was in place. As they can with withdrawal of repository progesterone injections or the use of Regu-Mate.

I just thought you might find this interesting and would like your thoughts on this.

HP

Jos
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not aware of any long-term progesterone implant of the type you are describing, but Thorne BioScience have developed a time-release progesterone and estradiol combination that is in biodegradable microspheres. I believe it is still in the final USDA testing stages, pending final release under the name "Saber P+". This is aimed at giving a full course of progesterone and estradiol over a 12 to 14 day period (which will then be followed by PGF2a treatment and will result in a pinpointed estrus). I recognise that this is a far cry from your 90 days and is used for a different reason, but I thought you might still be interested.

Although the above drug (Saber P+) will have a use in horses, it's primary market is, I believe, the porcine industry - and here we come to a crux! There is really insufficent market impact (read "profit") for commercial development of a drug such as this in the equine world only - sadly.

Repositol progesterone (Depo-Provera) use has received mixed reviews concerning assisting in pregnancy maintenance, but then so has "Regumate". The eternal question being - if not supplemented, is the affected mare liable to abort because of low progesterone, or does she have low progesterone because she is aborting from some other cause? This has been the eternal problem in attempting to develop a "control group" for researching this.

Your information is very interesting though. If anyone knows more, I will be interested to hear.

Horse Pro
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos I could not agree more with your assessment of the roll progesterone or the lack there of, plays in abortions. I'm sure you would agree that the real reason behind it's use as a supportive or preventative therapy is for the most part because the industry doesn't have anything else to blame it on at the current level of our knowledge.

Unfortunately it always reminds me of something that an old time vet told me once after a long bout with a particularly tough neonatal case that turned out successful. I complimented him on the heroic efforts and stated that he saved this foal. His reply to me was "perhaps or perhaps not, what do you suppose would have happened if I had done nothing?" Interesting point of view I must say. And something that we all need to remind our selves of once in a while, when we start to get that God like feeling with our successes.

I have always been of the mind that at some point perhaps way down the road or perhaps sooner, that all the use of hormonal intervention and so called therapy may come back and bite us in our behind. That has already proved to be the case in several instances. All for no other purpose than to try and comply with an unrealistic breeding season window. That has been imposed on the industry by people who have no knowledge of reproduction what so ever.

HP

Alan Wagner (204.128.189.22)
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2001 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ft. Dodge currently markets two P&E implants for cattle. They are called SYNOVEX-S [200mg of progesterone and 20 mg of estradiol] and SYNOVEX-C [100mg of progesterone and 10 mg of estradiol]. Could or has either of these been used in horses?

Jos (142.177.103.220)
Posted on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither of the above implants have been shown to be successful for estrus control in the mare with any degree of repeatability.

J. Van Over, DVM
Posted From: 205.188.208.72
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever use CIDR-B implants in horses? Combined with an E 17-B shot, I wonder if it would work.

Jos
Posted From: 67.74.141.154
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The usual problem with using implants of any type to induce timely estrus is that there is not a predictable end to the controlled release period, so there is not an accurate hormonal rebound effect such as is seen with the daily-dose injectable P&E. A similar problem is seen when estradiol cypionate or benzoate is used rather than estradiol 17b. There is a compounded single-treatment time-release P&E preparation on the market, but anecdeotal evidence indicates that the pinpointing of follicular development to a 3.5 cm follicle by day 18 is not as reliable as with the daily treatment.

The use of the vaginal implant CIDR-B however is a little different, and has been experimented with in the equine. It has been found to be workable and produce reliable results if removed at the right point. Problems seen have included premature loss of the implant from the vagina, and transient cervical and vaginal inflammatory response, which resolved once the implant was removed. This research has been performed primarily in Australia and New Zealand.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US