SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Jos...another Regumate question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Jos...another Regumate question « Previous Next »

Julie G
Weanling
Username: Julie_g

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mare is at day 50 of pregnancy. At her first ultrasound on day 13 post-breeding, we saw a conceptus that looked maybe slightly smaller than to be expected and the mare had an unorganized CL and looked like she had a hint of uterine edema as if she was coming back into heat....we thought she might be going EED. We immediately started Regumate, and rechecked her in 5 days. At the recheck, the embryonic vesicle looked good and her CL appeared condensed/more consistent w/ pregnant mare. Continued Regumate. Ultrasound at day 32 showed a embryo with a heartbeat. Continued Regumate. Checked a progesterone at day 46 and it was 3.8 (at BET Lab). I know I should do serial progesterone levels to get a more accurate picture, but as a send out and the costs will add up quickly. I know there are progesterone kits for testing at home ...should I do serial testing with the stall-side kit? How do you recommend to test...daily? a few times a day? How many low readings are acceptable?

If she is consistently low, what BR product do you recommend? The BET pharmacist recommends biorelease P4 in oil every 7-10 days, however, the mare is a needle freak, and she will not be happy with that regime. Have you used the biorelease Altrenogest Microparticles LA 500mg (single dose vial + 7 mL suspending vehicle) 30 day treatment for P4 supplementation in pregnancy?

And final question, how long would you supplement this mare?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully you have read this article as it will answer some of your questions.

I would like to test a minimum of 2x/day for 2 consecutive days to get a reasonable idea of levels. It may vary, it may not, but at least doing the serial tests one is ruling out the possibility of variation.

How much is enough? Nobody knows. 4ng/ml has been suggested as the minimum, but mares have been seen to maintain on as low as 1.8 ng/ml, so it's your guess...

The only long-acting progestin that has been demonstrated to maintain pregnancy is the P4 LA in oil that BET Pharm recommended (demonstrated to maintain constant levels for about 7 days, per Vanderwall). As it is progesterone though, you would not be able to test subsequent endogenous levels.

As we use next to no progestin supplementation, I can't really assist you with what we recommend! If we use it on one or two mares a year, that's about it - and they have known issues such as incompetent cervices (we don't subscribe to the "low level without cause" theory, and I suspect that as we use a lot of oxytocin when breeding, we really don't see low levels but still have excellent pregnancy rates).

By 100-120 days, the FPU is secreting other progestins, so even in ovariectomized mares that are receiving progestin supplementation during the early pregnancy period following embryo transfer, one can cease supplementation. Chances are that your mare will be the same.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US