SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Lutalyse dose too small???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Lutalyse dose too small??? « Previous Next »

Susan Barta
Weanling
Username: Pniranch

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that ovulated while we were dealing with my father in laws death so this is 8 days post ovulation and the vet left me 2cc's of Lutalyse to short cycle her.

I went to do that tonight and there was only 1cc in the syringe. I saw Jos's posts on micro dosing but I know it would be less than 1cc. Will the 1cc work or do I need to go get another dose tomorrow to give to her and if so how much?

Should I try to micro dose the next two days and if so how much. Jos I would love to know the dosages for this procedure as well as help with this situation and what are the normal dosages.
Thank you, Susan

Kristen B.
Weanling
Username: Kristen_b

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.2 cc's two days in a row :-)

Susan Barta
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But what about the fact she had 1cc today. Is that enough or does she need .2 tomorrow??

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3285
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lutalyse is labelled for use at 1 mg/100 lbs of the active ingredient, so a 1,000 lb horse would receive a full dose of 10 mg. It is packaged at a concentration 5 mg/ml. Consequently, a full dose would equate to 2 ml.

Having said that, and aside from the research published in 2002 which indicates that 1/10th of the full dose (i.e. 0.2 ml) 2 days in a row will have the same effect in causing a return to estrus without any side-effects (and incidentally, at 9 years old, that is pretty old research, and we use it as an indication as to whether the prescribing veterinarian is well-versed and up-to-date in equine reproduction matters - yours would appear not to be), Dr. Pinto when at NCSU found that a single dose of ¼ the full dose would cause a return to estrus as long as all other prerequisites were in place (receptive CL), so based upon that research, you should be fine.

Susan Barta
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos,

My vet is not versed in this as you said as he has only been out of Vet school 3 years. He also told me they no longer teach them to palpate in Vet school. I find that not to be a good practice as he has no way but the U/S to go on where a follicle is at and what the tone of the uterus is. If I have any mares I think are in need of more evaluation I haul them to Dennis Smith in Aurora, NE and he is excellent and has been around a long time. We are moving to Colorado this fall so I hope to find a good and experienced reproductive vet there. Thank you again for your timely answer. Considering her CL we should be good to go.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, FWIW, unless a veterinarian did a special rotation on equine reproduction when going through vet school, the vast majority of them will have done 0-5 palpations (yup - zero to five!) on mares by the time they graduate.

I know quite a few veterinarians personally that had done absolutely no mare palpations prior to going into practice...

Scary when you really think about it - the more so as many vets (especially the newly graduated) will give lay people a lot of grief if they (the lay people) palpate!

Susan Barta
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I so agree with you and yes he had done ZERO when he got out of school. I do have to give him credit for trying though as he is taking every course he can and cooled and frozen semen and learning how to do so and that will take him far. He is a great open minded young vet and I had a breech birth for the first time ever and he got the foal out (dead) in less than two hours and the mare is not damaged (from what the eye can see on U/S and checking her cervix) and is doing well. Some reason I called him as I had a hunch she had a problem even though her water did not break until after he arrived. I am glad I went with my gut on that one!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US