SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Regumate? JOS

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Regumate? JOS « Previous Next »

jamie neel
Nursing Foal
Username: Ladyfaile15

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello everyone!

i have a quick question. i have an older broodmare, she is 23 this year. she has had four foals previously, last one was 6 years ago. for her first three pregnancies she had to be put on regumate so that she wouldnt abort the pregnancy, but on the fourth foal she didnt. since it has been so long since she carried a foal, does that mean that she will probably be back to needing the regumate? would it be better to just put her on it until 120 days since it is proven to work with her?

she has already had a culture/cytology that came back clean. the vet said she has a nice tone uterus and shouldnt have any problems there..

thanks
jamie

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3133
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you know she needed the Regumate so "she wouldn't abort" on the first three pregnancies?

Seeing as the chances are good she didn't need it for the first three...

Read our article about progestin supplementation for more information.

jamie neel
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 03:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she aborted several. i am in contact with her original owners and they said that she caught the first time they bred her every time, but that unless she had regumate she lost the pregnancies.

jamie

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3136
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 03:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did she abort? What did the necropsies show?

Regumate is not the cure-all! It would for instance have no impact if the abortions were related to EHV-1.

jamie neel
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont know that info. she lost them all within the first 30 days as far as i know. i dont believe that necropsies were ever done. once they started to put her on the regumate she never lost another one (or at least that is what ive been told)

jamie

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3138
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loss within the first 30 days is considered embryonic death, not abortion, and can be caused by a myriad of things that have no connection to Regumate use. One of the most common factors for embryonic death is a uterine inflammatory situation - commonly caused by the breeding itself - and which can be managed with a few dollars worth of oxytocin correctly used (follow that link for details). While I obviously cannot say that is a definite cause of loss for your mare, it is probably worth considering that we breed a huge number of mares each year and very rarely (read once every couple of years) use Regumate to maintain a pregnancy, and when we do, it's for a specific known cause such as an incompetent cervix.

As we said in the article: "if you don't know why you're using Regumate, you probably shouldn't be using it" - at least, that's the philosophy we follow... :-)

jamie neel
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 03:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, after talking to you, think i may just wait and see what happens. we are already planning on the full oxytocin regument and flushing too.

we shall see!
jamie

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US