Post Number: 24
|Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 01:09 pm: ||
I have a mare who I have been trying to breed for three months now, with no success.
Twice now, she has had these "hemorrhagic follicles." The first time, all was progressing normally, and u/s to confirm she is ready to breed and the vet finds this bad follicle. We use lutalyse to short cycle her, bring her back into heat two weeks later, no problem. This time, she ovulates MUCH sooner than we expected (like, four days sooner...) and we missed her.
Third try-- back in heat, send her to the breeding farm to be ready. After 9 days of heat, to see what is going on, we u/s and find a very large follicle, just starting to fill with blood. Vet said it was the size of a baseball.
Its getting late in the season, and I'm starting to wonder when is the point that I cut my losses and try again next year? is there anything that could be causing this? The repeated use of lutalyse isn't a concern??
Last year she caught first try, no problems (which I know doesn't mean anything concrete, not in the breeding world...just because it was easy once doesn't mean it will be again...)
It just seems strange. EVERYTHING is so easy with this mare (well, almost everything apparently???) she bred easily, foaled easily, easy keeper, laid back... everything.
Could it be the colt at her side causing problems? (with milk production etc??)
Also, with this case,
She has been bred, but we don't know if there ever was a "good" follicle on the other side... all we know is this huge useless one existed. Vet says no chance she's in foal. I just feel anxious about giving her this shot and potentially dumping a perfectly viable pregnancy????
Post Number: 2919
|Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 09:51 am: ||
The cause of AHF's is not known, although low levels of LH and/or estrogen may be associated with their formation.
Lutalyse is prostaglandin, which is the hormone that the mare herself secretes from her endometrium in order to destroy the CL and cause a return to estrus, so it's use is merely resetting the internal clock and will not have any other impacts. Having said that, you seem uncertain of the true pregnancy status of the mare, and definitely, prior to about 30 days of pregnancy if you give prostaglandin you will cause pregnancy loss, so you most decidedly should get the mare confirmed as "open" before giving it! If you're not comfortable with your current vet's diagnostic ability, get another vet!
Having a foal at foot may - note "may" - impact ability to cycle and/or get pregnant. Although in many cases good tight management will override this problem, in a few isolated cases it does seem that no matter what one does they won't get pregnant until after the foal is weaned.