SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hemorrhagic follicles and Lutalyse

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Hemorrhagic follicles and Lutalyse « Previous Next »

Megan C
Weanling
Username: Drumdoch23

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who I have been trying to breed for three months now, with no success.
Twice now, she has had these "hemorrhagic follicles." The first time, all was progressing normally, and u/s to confirm she is ready to breed and the vet finds this bad follicle. We use lutalyse to short cycle her, bring her back into heat two weeks later, no problem. This time, she ovulates MUCH sooner than we expected (like, four days sooner...) and we missed her.
Third try-- back in heat, send her to the breeding farm to be ready. After 9 days of heat, to see what is going on, we u/s and find a very large follicle, just starting to fill with blood. Vet said it was the size of a baseball.

Its getting late in the season, and I'm starting to wonder when is the point that I cut my losses and try again next year? is there anything that could be causing this? The repeated use of lutalyse isn't a concern??

Last year she caught first try, no problems (which I know doesn't mean anything concrete, not in the breeding world...just because it was easy once doesn't mean it will be again...)
It just seems strange. EVERYTHING is so easy with this mare (well, almost everything apparently???) she bred easily, foaled easily, easy keeper, laid back... everything.

Could it be the colt at her side causing problems? (with milk production etc??)

Also, with this case,
She has been bred, but we don't know if there ever was a "good" follicle on the other side... all we know is this huge useless one existed. Vet says no chance she's in foal. I just feel anxious about giving her this shot and potentially dumping a perfectly viable pregnancy????

help :-(

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cause of AHF's is not known, although low levels of LH and/or estrogen may be associated with their formation.

Lutalyse is prostaglandin, which is the hormone that the mare herself secretes from her endometrium in order to destroy the CL and cause a return to estrus, so it's use is merely resetting the internal clock and will not have any other impacts. Having said that, you seem uncertain of the true pregnancy status of the mare, and definitely, prior to about 30 days of pregnancy if you give prostaglandin you will cause pregnancy loss, so you most decidedly should get the mare confirmed as "open" before giving it! If you're not comfortable with your current vet's diagnostic ability, get another vet!

Having a foal at foot may - note "may" - impact ability to cycle and/or get pregnant. Although in many cases good tight management will override this problem, in a few isolated cases it does seem that no matter what one does they won't get pregnant until after the foal is weaned.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US