SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

BioRelease Altrenogest to sychronize estrus in 3 mares

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » BioRelease Altrenogest to sychronize estrus in 3 mares « Previous Next »

Ynez Parker LaDow
Neonate
Username: Cisco

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, my brother and I are getting ready to rebreed 3 mares - Since the public has had such a fit in the past over live coverage where the stallions are stabled, we now meet in the middle at our vets, I bring the mares he brings the stallion. So we would like to have the girls in sync.

When preparing to have our prescription written for the P&E protocol you wrote about in your article in 2004, I researched BET Pharm's site and spoke with them about the single dose BioRelease Altrenogest LA 225mg cocomitant with PGF2 on the same day. They reported that this protocol would bring the mares into estrus within 12.3 days and ovulation at 16.9 days.

What is your experience with the BioRelease Altrenogest single shot vs. the daily P&E protocol?

Is the single shot BioRelease a more effective method to use with fresh semen AI covered mares? The single-shot is certainly less labor intensive.

If their timeline is correct and ovulation begins at 16.9 days, when would the appropriate time to administer the hCG Desorlin be?

I should note, my brother, Harold Parker took your course twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. He does beautiful work with our stallions, including live ground collection. Our vet is familiar with you and your work, but prefers to use Regumate, though he will assist us and use any protocol we choose based on our experience. We are breeding a special breed of horses that our great-grandfather started 100 years ago and we have been having great success. Thank you for helping us stay on top of the new science.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have found that the Biorelease altrenogest works well but is not quite as accurate as the daily dose P&E (although is close). If one is using fresh or cooled semen and are following the mare, the Biorelease product is excellent in that one only needs to use a single injection (plus the Prostaglandin F).

We would recommend checking the mare at 14 days after giving the initial injection and then once a follicle >35 mm is present, use hCG or >30 mm use Deslorelin (note the difference for the different products). Ovulation will typically occur in the next 24-28 hours in those situations, so breeding with fresh semen the next day would be suitable. It is still worth checking for ovulation 2 days after breeding to confirm that the mare does not need to be need again, as nothing is absolute...!

Ynez Parker LaDow
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your help, Jos. I got the mares going on the Biorelease altrenogest protocol and now they are due for their Prostaglandin F2 shots. BET-Pharm sent me Cloprostenol 25mcg/ml. The bottle reads "Inject 1-4ml IM" and they say an average dose is 2 ml. BET-Pharm says that Cloprostenol is a kinder Prostaglandin and does not have the usual side-effects and that is why they use it.
Based on your experience with Cloprostenol: Is 2 ml a safe dose for my mares (all 1300-1400lbs)? Should I still break it up in two doses (1 ml each) just to be safe?

I plan to have all 3 ultrasounded again on the 14th day, just in case anyone is in early estrus. Based on those ultrasounds, I will have them checked again at 16-18 days and move them to the vet hospital for breeding at that point, too. On their first ultrasounds, the vet said that he felt like he was looking at 3 uterus' on the same cycle. With any luck, with the intervention the mares are staying that way.
Thank you again for your assistance. I will let you know how the mares do.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The BET Pharm Cloprostenol is 25 µg/ml whereas Estrumate (the commercial product) is 250 µg/ml so you already have a "low dose" and using 1-2 ml of the BET Pharm product is fine.

Ynez Parker LaDow
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is it necessary to break it up over two days - 1 shot each day of 1 ml each - or should I go ahead and just give them the 2 ml on the 10th day?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cloprostenol is a synthetic analogue of Prostaglandin F and has a longer half-life, so a single dose of 25µg is adequate. If you were using native Prostaglandin F (e.g. "Lutalyse") then you would have to use 1/10th of the dose 2 days consecutively.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US