SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

BioRelease P&E

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » BioRelease P&E « Previous Next »

Julie G
Weanling
Username: Julie_g

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos,

Wondering if you have any new evidence that supports the use of the BioRelease P&E to time ovulation for convenience purposes (NOT for breeding w/ frozen or to sync mares). Your articles report it may not be as accurate as the daily injections (which I think is probably ok with this application). I spoke with two large equine compounding pharmacies and both report faily reliable results from the field. What is your experience, if any, with the BioRelease product?

Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2859
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want a general accuracy - if for example you are breeding with cooled or fresh semen - then it is good to within a day or so in most instances. In fact, the biorelease altrenogest is showing as good or better pattern than the biorelease P&E. We have used it for ET's when we have flexibility of a day or so and it has worked well. Certainly the single dose vs. daily dosing is valuable.

Note that the biorelease technology is available only from BET Pharmacy. I am not aware of any other compounding pharmacy that is using that same technology for the controlled-release format, and which gives better results than that which some other pharmacies are marketing as "controlled release" which is merely a heavy front-end dose of the drugs. We use only BET Pharmacy's biorelease products.

Julie G
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, I will be using it to breed with cooled semen so I'm happy hear it's fairly reliable for that use. I would love to hear the details about how you are using the biorelease altrenogest for syncronizing for ET or to target ovulation for breeding with transported cooled semen or frozen semen (dosage and/or protocol, etc.)

FYI, I am purchasing the biorelease P&E from the Rood and Riddle Veterinary Pharmacy. I am veterinarian (but NOT a repro vet) and I spoke at length with the pharmacist this morning about their product. They buy the biorelease "vehicle" from BET Pharmacy (and to quote her, "pay highly for it") so their product should behave just like the BET product.

This Bulletin Board is a wonderful resource - thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2861
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing particularly different about using the biorelease altrenogest for syncing mares - the pattern/protocol is about the same as for the daily P&E: day 1 dose with the biorelease formulation; day 10 give Prostaglandin F (this can also be adjusted to use microdoses on day 9 and 10 to avoid the unpleasant side-effects); Day 14, check the mare with expectation of follicular presence and early estrus; day 16-20 expect to find a 35 mm follicle that will respond to an ovulation promoter (hCG/Deslorelin). As I note, the range tends to be a hair broader than with the daily treatments, hence the checking days 16-20, but it is pretty reliable in all other areas. If we're using it for ET we make sure we start the recip mares the day or so after the donor mare, and have several mares available. You can speed up or slow down (well, not really "slow down", just not speed up as much) the "faster" mares by not using hCG or Des on the follicle if they are "ahead" of the donor mare.

Thanks for the info on availability of the biorelease from R&R albeit it "highly paid" for. The chap that developed the biorelease is a good friend of mine, so I feel a small dose of teasing coming on... :-)

Good luck!

Julie G
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha - your friend is a lucky guy then? (getting big bucks for his biorelease vehicle - smart, too!) ;>)

I was planning to check the mare on Day 16 (Day 14 and 15 fall over the weekend). Do you think I'll be ok?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2862
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 14 day check is more than anything a security measure to make sure things are progressing "normally". In very rare instances one can see a rapid progression, but in all likelihood you should be fine waiting until day 16. If 14/15 are the weekend, then you won't probably be able to get semen then anyway!

Julie G
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's for sure! I thought it would make the most sense to coordinate so Day 16 through Day 20 fell during the week when I can get semen. So that's what I will plan to do. Thanks again for your excellent advice.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US