SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Jos: Induction: To do or Not To Do

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Jos: Induction: To do or Not To Do « Previous Next »

Cindy Holland
Yearling
Username: Iagrl

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to my vet last week and he was concerned about my maiden mare going up to and past 370 days gestation. I think his concern is the size of the baby. He brought up the thought of induction, I believe, with Oxytocin (we use Pitocin for humans). I have done a little reading on this and it seems there are more cons than pros. One concern is if the baby is not in correct position. I'm sure there are other concerns as well.

From personal experience, I was overdue with my baby and started leaking amniotic. They tried to induce me and it lead to a c-section.

Has anyone had experience with induction? How did it go? And opinions or stories regarding induction for a horse?

Thanks,

Cindy

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have NEVER heard even ONE "good" story of a horse being induced. It's not uncommon for mares to go over the 340-370 range! (that is just an average!) Especially maidens. If you have a vet who is ready to induce, I'd give it MAJOR thought....and be ready to spend TONS of money on an emergency c-section that may or may not cost you a mare and foal. I'd sooner replace my vet than my mare and foal!! Be patient, wait her out......the cons definitely outweigh the pros.

Cindy Holland
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, Thanks for your thoughts. I am not a proponent of induction for a horse. I'm not a proponent for induction of a human either. Just curious on everyone's thoughts. My vet is my cousin-in-law and he is not pushing induction. Just concerned for the baby and the mare. I really do not want to go that route. I will do whatever is best for my mare. Thankfully my vet will listen to my thoughts and is not pushy. I try to do a lot of research and reading so I can make educated decisions.

Thanks again,

Cindy

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3005
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Cindy. Alot of people get impatient and want to rush into this option, only to have a bad outcome....it's heartbreaking to hear about, so I try as hard as I can to voice my opinion on it. I know you will do what you feel is best for your mare! There is an article here somewhere about induction of horses....and i know Jos will give you 3 "factors" that have to be met before considering induction.....just can't seem to find it .

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Reproduction_Ball/parturition_macpherson/IVIS.pdf

Cindy Holland
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana!! I will try and read the article this afternoon. Of course I want my mare to have her baby, but I know that mother nature will tell her when the time is right. My only concern is I won't catch her having it and the baby may be getting too large. At least she has relaxed in her hind quarters, that will help her pass the foal more easily. I wish the weather would shape up so I can let her get out of her stall more. I want to make sure she keeps her muscle tone up for the delivery!

Allison
Breeding Stock
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cindy, I remember reading something Jos posted about this and what I retained was: not to do it! There was an exception, but I remember it being a real real emergency. I wish I could remember where I read about it on here...I looked for a little, but can't find her response on it to be able to point you in the right direction. I also remember hearing about healthy foals past day 370 as well. And something about the foals not necessarily being big at all, possibly smaller. I've read too many things on here and hopefully Jos will answer you with clear facts! I can't remember the hard facts right off hand. Hopefully she will go soon... alot can happen in 10 days!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read if the mare is over the 330 - 350 days (I think this is the time period) the foal's lungs and such are not yet developed enough to make it on their own. So it's not a good idea to do a C section and deliver the foal, otherwise it won't make it.

I also read most times when it takes longer than normal, the foal is small to normal size foal, so you probably don't have to worry about the foal being too large.

I guess what I'm saying is, I would not induce labor, I would let mother nature takes it's course.

Cindy Holland
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for the comments and insight. I just got done reading the article that Diana posted. Very good information! The article gives me enough background on induction that I can give reasons why I want to wait until the mare has it naturally.

Thanks again!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2771
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. READ THIS ARTICLE;
  2. Make sure that you carefully review the statistics at the foot of the article;
  3. Do not induce unless there are specific medical issues indicating a need to do so - and a lengthy gestational duration in the absence of endophyte issues is not one;
  4. Do not extrapolate human medicine or personal experiences into equine medicine (unless you personally have 4 legs and hooves) - they (you) are not the same species;
  5. Find another vet that is more experienced in equine reproductive matters - no experienced and well-trained vet would recommend induction simply because of gestational duration (again, subject to endophyte issues);
  6. There are very specific medical criteria that must be met to even have a hope of a surviving foal in an induction situation (and even then things often go wrong) and if these have not been evaluated, your vet is not experienced in this area;
  7. Good luck.

Cindy Holland
Yearling

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the article Jos. The statistics at the end of the article are very interesting! Induction will not be an option for my mare, unless a medical emergency presents itself. I had previously read that the longest gestation period recorded for a horse is 445 days. That is crazy!! I hope my mare does not go that long. But I was also hoping she wouldn't go until 370. She might make it past that long.

I did not mean to refer a horse to a human. The only reason I did that was this: The medical world has started using induction for humans as a convenience factor. I do not think this is right unless it is a medical necessity. Some medical doctors will induce a pregnant woman due to her demands or the doctor will be on vacation. Inducing a woman when the baby is not ready will increase the chance of a c-section.

Bottom-line is this: Unless there is an underlying medical reason, induction should not be an option.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US