SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Regumate - from daily to biorelease

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Regumate - from daily to biorelease « Previous Next »

Den
Neonate
Username: Wdh009

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
My mare is receiving daily oral Regumate while at the breeding farm. She will be coming home at around day 60 of her pregnancy. The daily will be problematic at home, therefore, I am investigating the option of switching over to the biorelease 12-day injectable.
Is this the correct product from BET?:

BioRelease Altrenogest LA 150 mg/mL, 1.5 mL/IM dose,11 mL (7 dose vial) 12 day treatment

If I opt to keep her on this until around day 150, I would probably need the above-cited 7 dose vial to extend the additional 90 days once she's home.

I realize my vet needs to order this, but can someone tell me what this would cost? What about the cost of the 20-dose vial?
Also, I've read talk, in some threads, about the need to "wean" the mare off of this. Is there a procedure to this, or would her last 12-day injection just be her last dose?

Thank you,
Den

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are planning on keeping the mare on the supplementation until 150 days, then I would recommend using this formulation from BET Pharmacy:

BioRelease Altrenogest Microparticles LA 30 day treatment; (Single dose vial + suspending vehicle) Altrenogest 500 mg for I.M. Injection

As you can see, this requires dosing only every 30 days.

I cannot tell you the exact price, in part because that will depend upon what a veterinarian puts on as a "mark up", but we generally find that it will cost about the same as Regumate would for the same treatment period.

as far as "weaning" is concerned, it is difficult to reduce dosage of the biorelease/microparticle products, because by design they release the same dosage each day. The only thing would be that if you gave a half dose as the last dose, then the duration of release would probably be reduced. If you are stopping treatment after 150 days (indeed, probably after 120 days) then the chances are that the mode of cessation will be academic, as there are other sources of progestins being released within the mare anyway.

Note that all the time-release products may have an increased tendency for local site reaction (swelling). Don't be alarmed if you see it! We typically give the shots in the pectoral muscle, which allows for drainage more easily than other sites, and less chance of a sterile abscess. Giving it in the neck or rump is not recommended.

Den
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, thanks much for your quick response! I will see if BET will provide me with prices on these (not including the markup).

Den

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, typically they will provide pricing only to the veterinarian.

Den
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct! I didn't see your post until afterward, but I sent an online inquiry via their website. I asked about pricing and about their thoughts on weaning a mare off of the product. They wouldn't answer either question, and kindly told me to have my vet call.
Den

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US