Would like to wean a 15day pregnant mare off of Regumate.
Plan to submit a progesterone assay.
Assuming the assay is within 'normal' limits, would there be any reason not to slowly decrease the Regumate? Or would it be wiser to wait for a 'safer' pregnancy stage?
Hx: Not a problem mare, Regumate was started (day 5) as a 'prophylactic' measure. (Bred 1st heat after foal heat,all looked normal other than a small amount of uterine fluid pre and post ov which resolved with Oxy.)
Perform a series of progesterone assays - 3 or 4 a day for 3 or 4 days in a row - to get an accurate level. A single reading will not offer a reliable diagnosis.
Prophylactic progestin therapy is way too common in our opinion - follow that link to review our thoughts...
So... yes, assuming you do get a normal reading (and that is...? ), it is more than reasonable to stop the treatment.
And incidentally - progestin therapy can aggravate retained uterine fluid issues...
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: