SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Regumate & Post Breed Infusion

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Regumate & Post Breed Infusion « Previous Next »

Donna Harrington
Neonate
Username: Donna

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare with low progesterone levels (based on prior cycles). Ovulated this past Sunday. I'd like to start her on Regumate on Thursday, but was advised by friend that I may need to do a post breed infusion? I know a post breed infusion is required for P4 injections, but is it also required for Regumate this early in the "hopeful" pregnancy?

Solo
Neonate
Username: Solo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donna,

A uterine infusion is not required for Regumate.
And...it is a little bit late for post breed infusion.

Has your mare had uterine problems in the past?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10197
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Solo correctly points out, there is no need for an infusion - and indeed, it is not an automatic requirement when using P4 injections, so you might want to review the reliability of your information source...

Did you perform multiple assays to determine that your mare needs progestin supplementation? It requires 3 or 4 assays a day for 3 or 4 days in a row to get an accurate determination for the need, a single test in insufficient and likely to be highly inaccurate. Regumate use (or other progestin therapy) is probably one of the most over-used (read "abused") treatments related to equine reproduction. You might want to review the article on this site called Does my mare need Regumate? (follow that link) - it might give you a different perspective to view the "need" from.

Angela Clark
Neonate
Username: Shorepuppy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one mare that has been bred, but we are not sure if she is in foal yet, and another mare that is 25 days pregnant. Both mares are on Regumate, 10 cc's a day. The person doing the meds forgot to do it yesterday (Sunday). Is this a bad thing? What could happen? The mare that is 25 days pregnant had her progesterone checked last week, and it was 8.2, so the vet said she really doesn't need to be on Regumate, we are doing it as an extra precaution. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am really stressing out.
Thanks,
Angela

Falias (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.68.29.162
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to know the answer to Angela's question too. We have a mare on regumate that has a level of 1.5. I want to know what would happen if there was an emergancy or accident or something that caused her to miss the regumate for a day. Also, I give her 10ccs and put it as far back on her tounge as I can, but she trys her hardest to spit it out. Somethimes she will even spit out some hay that I missed (I try to make sure her mouth is clean, but doing it daily sometimes she slips some hay or grain past me in her cheek) and I know she is loosing some of the regumate with it... So, how much of a problem is this? Sometimes she will even go wash her mouth out in her water bucket. How important that she get every bit of that 10ccs? Am I just being paranoid? Since its not a paste I don't feel as confident that what I squirt into her mouth stays there....

Lisa Weir
Weanling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 05:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've found with some mares that object to anything being squirted into their mouth, that drizzling the Regumate onto a small amount of oats and offering it in a tub fixes that problem.

Haven't met one yet that turns that down!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US