SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Lack of follicular growth in short cycled mares.......

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Lack of follicular growth in short cycled mares....... « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 207.200.116.11
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First mare: given Lutalyse shot -shows signs of being in 4 days later (not including day of shot). Shows real well until day 9 and appears to be going out. Mare repeatedly palpated with no follicles to speak of. Previous heats normal follicle growth and ovulation. Second mare: given shot and shows in 3 days later. On 5th day -going out. Palpated day 4 and 6......no follicles either. Normal heats previous. Just coincidence or why both mares did not develop follicles with shot?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10107
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did ultrasounds show?

If you didn't have ultrasounds done, you might want to think about having them done next time. The likelihood of a timely onset of estrus and an absence of follicles is pretty miniscule.... :-(

Anonymous

Posted From: 207.200.116.11
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No ultrasounds were done on either mare, as both had been easy to palpate and monitor follicle growth in the past. Now we are waiting to see if they come back in on their own.....no more shots!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10111
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't blame the prostaglandin too fast... :-) Take a look at the article about why PGF2a won't work. It has to have some very specific conditions to work reliably and successfully!

Anonymous

Posted From: 152.163.100.13
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both mares had shots on day 6 after ovulation. I guess it is possible that they ovulated again and we did not know that. If they don't come back in on their own in a reasonable amount of time...would you even try another shot, or will that really upset their cycle timing? Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10113
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a couple of possibilities. One is that they had an unidentified ovulation, the other is that they had additional follicles present at the time the PGF2a was given, which can result in an accelerated entrance to estrus and ovulation - <24 hours in some cases.

As far as giving another dose of PGF2a, go ahead. There is actually a protocol for rough synchronisation of mares with an unknown cycle that relies on two treatments 14 days apart. Remember that PGF2a is a naturally occurring hormone, that is released about every 21 days in the mare during her cycle anyway. Giving it to her at a different time is merely adjusting her cycle to a different schedule - just think of it as putting her in a different time zone! :-)

Sandra K. Kidder
Neonate
Username: Sandysz

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,

My six year old maiden mare was given regimate for 15 days. Day #16 she was given a lytalase shot. She broke out into a pouring sweat, would go up on her hind tippy toes and just about collapse with the nastiest contractions I have ever seen. This settled down after about a couple of hours. On day 20 she showed a 32 follicle. on day 22 she had a 35 and was AI'd and given a shot to bring on the ovulation. On day 23 her follicle had gone back down to a 30/32 and she had not ovulated, but was AI'd again, with the vet saying that she should ovulate that night. Now 18/19 days later she was ultrasounded today. Nothing and does not even look to be coming into heat any too soon. Ugh. Last year you could not miss any heat cycles and this year it has been impossible. Other than just before she would come in, she would get runny stools. That is the only thing happening. Has anyone else had this type of thing happen?? Vet wanted to give another lytalase shot today but I do not want to do that to her again. Any suggestions???

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10115
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can avoid the cramping and sweating by using 1/10th of the dose of PGF2a two days in a row. It will bring the mare into heat (if she's going to - see "Why Prostaglandin didn't work" for more on that) in the same time frame as the full dose, but without the nasty side-effects.

If the mare had been pregnant, but undergone early embryonic death after 14 days, she will be lagging a little behind on her cycle.

The other possibility is of course that she is pregnant and the conceptus was missed on the pregnancy ultrasound check - it does happen...! :-)

Bobby Ann Abbott
Neonate
Username: Baskmidnightshadow

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that I breed the 3,5,6 & 7 day of heat cycle. On the 21st (17th since out of heat) I had her u/s no baby but a 3cm follicle she would be due to come back in heat on the 25th (20 day cycle) I teased her the 24th, 27th and 30th didn't come into heat. So I was going to give her a shot of Lut. but the owner asked that I u/s one more time. So I did and there was no follicle she was open I gave her a shot of Lut the same day (yesterday) and I plan on teasing her tonight. Should it work do you think I am not quite sure when she ovulated the 3 cm. And do you think she will ovulate quickly or will that just simply depend on how quickly she comes into heat with the shot. I have this gut feeling that she caught the first time and the lost it the owner said that the vet in her area has been having a lot of problems this year and seem to be having luck if they put them on Regumate. I was wondering when how soon after I breed her and she is out of heat should I put her on it.
Thanks

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US