SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Unsafe mare in heat, safe & gentle all other times

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Unsafe mare in heat, safe & gentle all other times « Previous Next »

catherine
Neonate
Username: Horseygirlcate

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a warmblood (huge) mare who apparently cycles thru depo provera. her behavior when coming into her heat cycle is so aggressive (kicking, biting, cant catch) that we arent sure what to do. no one wants to handle her to turn her out to pasture except my trainer and I. they are considering regumate but I would like to breed her and hate to do this as I have read many instances where it adversely affected repro. cycles.. she is a sweetand loves to work, also seems 'off' but we cannot find a cause. she is sensitive to touch, all muscles tense up and she acts out, trainer says epsm? help!!!

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.216
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean "off" as in lame? More info. please.

I think that you may benefit from pulling a blood panel on this one. She could be cystic among other things, which can be painful , create stress and body fatigue.

I think your trainer meant EPM. In that case, I would look for a weakness in the hind quarters, ataxia, head tilting. I would first have the vet give her a thorough exam with blood pulled and prehaps an ultra sound to have a look around inside there and discount any reproductive causes.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10077
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mares can and will continue to produce follicles and ovulate in the face of progestins, whether naturally occurring or given to her. Additionally, Depo-provera has not been shown to reliably control estrus in mares in the long-term (or at all in some). Daily Regumate is more likely to control estrus behaviour, but it will not necessarily stop cycling.

As progestins are actually present naturally in the body at certain stages of the mares cycle, they are unlikely to have a negative impact on fertility from a hormonal aspect. It is however worth considering that the use of exogenous progestins may suppress the uterine immune response and if there is a pathogen present at the onset of treatment, a significant uterine infection may result. This is why it is always advisable to check uterine pathogenicity before treating a mare with a progestin.

I would suggest discussing your issues with a theriogenologist, which is a veterinarian that has received special training and certification in reproduction. Not all general practitioners are well-versed in reproductive issues.

Horseygirlcate
Neonate
Username: Horseygirlcate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she was palpated and had an ultrasound, also a round of antibiotics..everything looked fine. her hind end seems weak (she also had a pulled muscle which we thought itmight be), she does not want to canter,she is uncomf. & we arent sure why, blood work is next, trainer said epsm? x rays of hocks were fine a few mos. ago, extremely aggressive at being handled and is unsafe for everyone,but loves to work/socialize once she calms down,soo many inconsistencies...

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.128
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is a case of EPM, the symptoms can come and go. It can mimic other problems, such as lamness. Even if she tests postive for EPM, most horses will, though they may never become symptomatic.Waiting for the test results can delay treatment for EPM.

I would xray the spine and rule out any spinal injury. If that comes back clean with no identifiable source of the weakness, start her on the medication for EPM. It is expensive, but can be effective. There are many good sites on the web about EPM.

Boost her immune system and aggressively rule out other causes for her behavior.The sooner you treat for EPM the better. Once a horse looses control of the hind end, getting up can become impossible. I do not want to worry you, however, your trainer did mention EPM, so I want to help you understand a bit about it.

( short version )The protozoa attack the spine and settle into colonies that injure the spinal column. The outside of the spinal column is usually first to be compromised, and controls the hind end. If it worsens, the front end will also be affected as the protozoa spread into the spine. The sooner that the organisms are killed, the better.Then the spine must heal from the ulcerations. Some damage may be permanent, some horses recover completely and some relapse. (30%)A strong immune system is the best protection against EPM and relapse.

It is spread by birds or other animals that have contact with opossum feces and carry it to where a horse may ingest it.(off of pasture,in ground feeders etc.)Once ingested, they cross the blood-brain barrier and head for the spine.

It is extremely hard to diagnose. A very common trait of this is that one side is more effected than the other. Get yourself familiar with EPM so that you can gauge what is happening with your horse.

Please let us know how thing are going, the best of luck to you and your horse.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US