SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Regumate Dosing

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Regumate Dosing « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 64.12.116.22
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After two years of trying to breed a mare with poor uterine clearance, numerous infections and a class 2B uterus we finally have a pregnancy!

She has been on 10ml regumate once a day since ovulation. At day 19, the vet checked her progesterone level and found it to be inadequate at 1.2. He has said to increase her daily dose of regumate to 20ml.

Is it alright to give this now 'double dose' just once a day, or is it better to give 10ml twice a day or at 12 hour intervals? I'm thinking a twice a day dose would sustain a more even level of the hormone, of course it would be easier to give it just once a day...

Liz H
Posted From: 64.12.116.22
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regumate does not and will not affect the natural Progesterone levels as shown in a progesterone level test .. so I am not sure why the vet is increasing her dose based on the low blood level...

The low blood level just means you need to keep her on the regumate..

That is my understanding.. I could be wrong but I was told by my vet that Regumate will not affect the blood level of Natural progesterone...

Is the mare showing other signs of losing the fetus?

Anonymous
Posted From: 152.163.252.161
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm aware that Regumate does not effect the 'natural' progesterone levels in the mare;

I am not questioning the reasoning behind the increase; I am only wondering if it's more effective to administer smaller doses at regular intervals rather than one big 'swig' per day...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10251
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW - as this thread is almost a year old, so the foal may be on the ground by now - Liz has made a very valid point.

As Regumate does not affect the blood progesterone assay results (except that one can argue it may lower them, as mares on Regumate tend to produce less progesterone themselves), and as the mare is already receiving what has been determined to be an adequate dosage of Regumate to maintain a pregnancy in an ovariectomised mare (note that there is no research that supports it's use in so-called "low progesterone mares"), why is it felt necessary to increase the dosage? She would appear to be receiving an adequate dose already...

If one is going to give a double dose, then yes, giving it morning and night would probably give a more stable level, but as it generally reamins in the system for +/- 24 hours, it's probably academic, as once you've dosed a complete day, the levels will be roughly the same whether the mare receives it once or twice a day. And it's perfectly natural for mares hormone levels to fluctuate during the day, and even from day to day.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US