SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Best way to decrease new geldings libido quickly

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Best way to decrease new geldings libido quickly « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 205.188.116.21
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a 3 yr old appy stallion. He has been bred to two mares. My husband wants to geld him. He then wants to pasture him with one of the bred mares. I am nervous about her losing her foal due to stallion-like behavior. how can we curb his libido quickly? would it be best to place him in a seperate enclosure?

Jos
Posted From: 137.186.22.231
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should probably be more concerned with the stallion/gelding's safety than the mare's or the unborn foal's! Unless the stallion is a raving muscle-headed pushy lunatic with mares (which at 3, and having only bred 2 mares, is unlikely), he is more likely to approach the mare with enthusiasm and get kicked for his pains seeing as she is not in estrus ("heat").

You are doing the best thing to "curb his libido" - gelding him! Note however that some geldings will continue to display stallion-like behaviour and will even mount with an erection and breed mares. While they of course do not get pregnant, they can become infected, which is a major problem in a brood mare band. This residual behaviour is less likely in a horse that was gelded young, but can still occur.

If the gelding persisits in displaying stallion-like behaviour after being gelded, you can try putting him on Regumate, although note that this hormone is expensive, has potential for human complications, and is not licensed for use in stallions or geldings.

It's also worth noting that once the gelding effect has "kicked in", with some geldings, they will be come very much submissive, and get continually beaten up by mares.

Overall, I prefer not to keep mares and geldings together if I can avoid it, because as you can see from the above, there are a variety of potential complications. Having said that, many people do keep the two genders together with no problems - you wil just have to try it and see what happens in your particular set of circumstances.

Anonymous
Posted From: 64.12.116.22
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you. i am concerned about the stallion of course, but i would hate for him to cause the mare to lose her foal after he's been gelded and we can't rebreed them. he's beautiful. i wish we could leave him intact. he's very well mannered for a stallion. of course he wasn't when we got him, but my husband has been working with him daily. he's actually friendlier than our mare. excuse me i mean his mare. he has a fit if we even put a lead rope on her and lead her around. calling to her over and over, but not trying to go through the fence. we had mares and geldings together when i was younger and never had any problems, but then the geldings had never been bred and were gelding by 2 years of age. plus the mares were never bred themselves. i hope that gelding this boy doesn't turn him into a pushover. his mare can be pushy with other horses. she's not a fighter she just lets others know she's boss. thanks again for your info

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US