Ok. I am at the 18th day, gave P & E 10 days then ludelyte.. The mare is on 18th day ultrosound and no CL present Uterus clean and good tone multi folicals both sides only about .15. Ok I am having her ultrasounded tomorrow the 19th day.. Any other ideas?
Jos Posted From: 184.108.40.206
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:42 pm:
While we have found P&E to be tremendously effective, there is of course nothing in equine reproduction that is foolproof!
Having said that, there are some factors that may have had a negative impact:
Was the mare cycling regularly before you started the P&E? It will not induce cyclicity in the anestrus mare, and is less reliable in the transitional mare.
Were you using the 10-day injectable version? Others have proven less reliable in timing.
Was the formula using estradiol 17b? We have come across several pharmacies that are using other forms of estradiol - notably estradiol cypionate - and that will not work. This is why we recommend Wedgewood Pharmacy - we have found their formulation to be reliable.
Were there any crystals apparent in the bottom of the bottle of P&E? If so did you heat the formulation and get them back into suspension? If not, those were the hormones, so you gave your mare only cottonseed oil!
Did you give the formulation at the same time each day? That can have an impact, as the hormone levels will fluctuate too much otherwise
These are just some of the points that can have an impact, and even them as I said above, it's still only 90% effective, so you may be unfortunate enough to be in the other 10%...
I would certainly check her again, and probably check her again after that - you will most likely get cyclicity, but not quite as pinpointed as you were hoping for.
jsmith Posted From: 220.127.116.11
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:51 pm:
Do you have to be a vet to get P& E from Wedgewood?
Jos Posted From: 18.104.22.168
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 11:00 pm:
P&E is a steroid combination, and therefore a prescription only item. So one must either be a veterinarian, or have a prescription to obtain it legally from anywhere, not just Wedgewood Pharmacy.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: