I have a 10 year old Arabian mare that we are breeding live cover this year for the first time. She had a foal in 2000 from AI. She had a long transition heat from 1/17 to 2/27. She then came back in on 3/13. We bred her twice then turned her out with the stallion. We brought her back in on 3/21 and she was out. She was checked on 4/7 for pregnancy and was open. Had a 31 folicule but no indications of being in heat and her cervix was almost closed. Had her checked again today 4/11. The folicule is now 45 and soft, vet said will ovulate w/in 20 hrs. Still not showing heat and cervix is still pretty closed. Vet said is open enough that semen would get thru if she'll except the stallion. In 15 minuets of teasing she is not interested and if he gets to close and touches her she wants to strike or kick.
So he told me to either wait and give her a lute shot next week Wed, or Thurs. or to just wait until her next cycle, 17 days.
This mare normally shows heat and hasn't been a problem. Vet says that her cervix indicates that she doesn't have enough estrogen so wouldn't necessarly show.
Is it better for her, to give the shot or to wait? I own both horses and am not really in a big hurry to breed her so I could really do either.
Pita Posted From: 22.214.171.124
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:51 pm:
Lutalyse should be given no earlier than 6 days after ovulation or it doesn't work properly.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: