SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Low progesterone level

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Hormonal Manipulation » Low progesterone level « Previous Next »

Karen (216.64.203.139)
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an 8 year old TB mare who had her first foal last spring as a 7-year-old. She conceived on one cover, and had an uneventful pregnancy. Unfortunately, she suffered a recto-vaginal fistula during delivery. This was relatively small (as fistula's go - about fist sized and about 4 to 6 inches from the vulval entrance) and appeared to heal spontaneously. She was cultured, found to have small growth of e-coli, and was flushed 3 times with saline and gentomycin. She was inseminated on the same cycle and conceived. About 3 weeks into her pregnancy, it became apparent that there was still a hole between the rectum and vagina (very hard to find - her pre-breeding exam, performed by two veterinarians who were specifically assessing how she had healed from the injury, couldn't find a hole). She was still pregnant at 60 days, but open at 90 days. We did not at any time pull a progesterone level, but assumed that she had lost the pregnancy due to contamination from the fistula.

The fistual was sucessfully repaired surgically at Ohio State last fall. The mare subsequently cultured clean this spring and was again bred (AI), and again conceived with one breeding. She was confirmed in foal via US at 15 days, and again at 30 days. The 30 day exam showed a good heartbeat, and all seemed well. Just to cover the bases, we pulled a progesterone level on the mare, and it just came back at 2.78 (4.00 being low on the normal range). We will be putting the mare on Regumate today.

Here's my question: Is it possible for a mare to maintain a pregnancy with a progesterone level this low without the use of Regumate, etc.? Of course, we do not know what the progesterone level was for the first pregnancy which was carried to term without complications, and we don't know what the progesterone level was on the pregnancy last year that was reabsorbed, and which we assumed was lost due to the unhealed fistula. Is it possible that the low level is somehow related to her injury? I know the placenta takes over progesterone production around month 5, but is it possible that the mare will increase her levels spontaneously before then? I don't look forward to having to keep her on Regumate for at least the next 4 months (but will, of course, I have to).

Any input or ideas on this situation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Stephanie Campbell (142.21.150.9)
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2001 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like input on this too. My mare has just been tested and "low progesterone" has been diagnosed. I am waiting for the vet to call now. Can a mare maintain a pregnancy with low progesterone?

Thanks....

Nancy DiBona BSN (65.229.75.176)
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to have more info on "low progestrone" levels also. What should the level be during preg. What is the range aceptable and when? What are the causes of low progesterone? Can they be outside influences such as fungus or toxins in the grasses or hay etc.? Thanks

Kelly (63.172.47.180)
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nancy- There are some great articles and links at the main board of this site. A lot of information, will answer all of your questions.

sharon (149.99.97.175)
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are two herbs that can assist the body to increase progesterone for the reproductive cycle.....chaste tree berry can be used up until
breeding....wild yam root can be used thereafter....wild yam in folklore is an anti-miscarriage herb...have used both with pregnant mares with good success and to assist with cycling to become pregnant (mares)

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 02:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One breeding farm I used in KY put their mares on Regumate soon after breeding as a matter of course. I also assume that on a 14 day preg check, if found not in foal they stopped the Regumate. I can't exactly remember how soon after breeding they did this so my question is how soon after ovulation can a mare be put on Regumate?

Mort
Posted From: 205.188.116.13
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 03:56 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One breeding farm I used in KY put their mares on Regumate soon after breeding as a matter of course. I also assume that on a 14 day preg check, if found not in foal they stopped the Regumate. I can't exactly remember how soon after breeding they did this so my question is how soon after ovulation can a mare be put on Regumate? It's 5 days after ovulation.

Ann
Posted From: 207.144.199.161
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a very elderly mare who keeps coming into heat and stays too long. I have a gelding who is very aroused and pesters her constantly. He is becoming unruly when I try to separate the two. I am considering putting her on Regumate for the winter months to see if it will keep her from coming into heat and will help him with being overly attached to her. We have another gelding and he doesn't pay any attention to her. Does this sound ok to do? I am at wits end, as the gelding injured me yesterday when I took him out of their enclosure.

Laurie
Posted From: 209.233.215.238
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an implant that lasts 6 months to a year (don't remember exactly), but it's inserted into the neck...might be worth contacting your Vet about the implant costs...would be much easier than regumate and it's used quite often on 'grumpy show mares'...

Kristina
Posted From: 69.208.48.251
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann,
Your mare will most likly not go into heat during the winter anyways because she will be in diestrus. (at least 85% of mares go into diestrus in the winter). I would recommend putting your gelding on progesterone injections. The injections are given 10cc IM every two weeks and run about $15 a shot. I have my gelding on them and I couldnt be happier with the results.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US