SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How much to feed?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » How much to feed? « Previous Next »

Daniel Crouse
Yearling
Username: Sneakers17

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need help to know how much to give our mares for feed; their both at 5 months. Were feeding them sweet feed and hay right now but want to make sure we do this right the first time.

Also when to increase there feed and by how much?

Thanks

nancy vance
Nursing Foal
Username: Ndv101

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daniel this is my first to and right now she is only on pasture. My mare is at about 116 days and i am planning on putting her on some mare and foal feed at about the last trimester. There are some really good books out there and I have read alot. From what I have seen the last tri. you want to make sure they get copper for bone dev. Quality forage and a balanced grain for broodmares should provide that. Feed by weight not volume so I plan on using an old bathroom scale. Try looking at the book the Foaling Primer it is a great resource and only about 20bucks. Hope I helped. One more thing no fescue the last 3 mo

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Nursing Foal
Username: 20hannah10

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nancy is right on the last trimester thing my mare was a little over weight but we feed about 4 cups sweet feed (your chioce of mare and foal we do) but we also add oats and brans they have vitamins and minerals in them that help the baby develope and the bran helps the baby pass his first poop also. Depending on the type of horse you want your foal to be you can add protien to help build muscle. Always have good forage at all times and a free choice mineral salt and your should be good
Now I have a question I have a 2 month old filly how much should she be eating our previos foals ate alot more than she does. We have her mom on a ligh conditioning routine because she is so fat and the baby runs along side mom when she lunges and when were riding so I think she needs more because she is burning calories.

nancy vance
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Hannah. Well the exercise for the baby is great. Do you stall them or are they out all the time? First is the baby on free choice hay? What kind of feed? How much is she eating?

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is all white with a medicine hat so she sun burns easy so i would say she is in one day out of the week the are in about a 30 acre feild by them selves right now its mainly hill so she get quite the work out she is all muscle. When they're in the stall we give hay but for now they just get the grass and mineral salt. should I give them hay also? She is on a mare and foal sweet feed. I offer her probally 3 cups morning and night and she nibles at it, she acts like im just bugging her and most the time spits it out she probally gets a cup in her morning and night and mom gets the rest. It takes us about an hour every morning and night of holding the bucket in front of her whick I dont mind she's the sweetest thing and loves attention. Thanks for the help

Daniel Crouse
Yearling
Username: Sneakers17

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hannah do you feed 4 cups daily? and is that in the last trimester?

Thanks nancy too!

nancy vance
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah, look on your feed is it 14 to 16% protein, that's what you want. You need a high quality feed for growing foals w/ Calcium, phosphorus, copper, and zinc look for all those. Don't feed more than 1lb. per mo. of age so she should be getting 2lbs. per day , say a lb. in am and lb. in pm, even try to split that up into 3 feedings. If mom is wanting to eat it all try a little place in corner of the stall like with a 2x4 placed crossways so only the foal can get to her feed by herself. Put only enough grain for ea. feeding or it will spoil. Remove any uneaten between meals.Pasture is great forage.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that is in foal and approximately 4 months along. SHe is on Tizwiz broodmare twice daily, which is a 16% feed. She gets a medium size can 540ml size of that, plus she gets half a can of 12% feed twice daily. I did not put her on sweetfeed this year as last year it made her hyper. She is also on pasture 7 hours a day and had access to hay in her stall in the evenings. This seems to work fine for her.

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it depends on the mare my mare was over weight so I fed her less but bumped up the protien. Now im guestimating when I say cups because we have a scooper (I will see how many cups it is and tell you) I would say 3 cups in the morning and 3 cups at night and We give 1-2 in the middle of the day because it is good to split up their meals. you can add more or less depending on the calories she burns.
Nancy, her food is 16% protien and it has all the important grothe minerals but my problem is she doesnt want to eat it, do you no anythig that might incourage her to eat?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US