SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Weaning

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Weaning « Previous Next »

Elena Vieira
Breeding Stock
Username: Opheliaimmorttal

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! I know there has been many topics about this but i couldnt find any and so Ill just write my own!! Riley is 4 months old. (He will be 5 months on sept. 16). He is big, eating good and everything but his mom Aspen, is getting really skinny. You can see her ribs and her back bones-she has a little bit of a hay belly too though. she just looks like shes starving and she gets fed extra! So i was thinking I should wean Riley earlier so she can gain wait. I dont want to effect him at any way though so I am debating. What do you think? He is fine being by himelf-yesterday I moved his mom to the other pasture and put my arab mare in there with him and he was already bossing her around and Aspen was fine with the gelding. I just kind of feel guilty. So Should i wean him pretty soon? and when i do wean him should i put my arab mare in there with him?
Thanks!
Elena
p.s. i would love to know at what age you weaned ur foal.

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elena, we have always weaned our foals at 4 months if they are eating well. We just took Flora off her mom this weekend and she is just a little bit over 4 months. As long as they seem like the are eating well, and also seem somewhat independant of their mothers we wean them. we have weaned a couple at 3 months before due to the fact they where eating so well and Their moms seemed a little thin. So I would say if he is eating well, yes go ahead and sperate them. Especially if the mare is looking thin and you have bred her back, she could loose the baby.

And I would put the other mare in with him. They seem to do better when they are not all alone. We always try to put our foals in with another mare or a gentle gelding. And they seem to do good after a couple of days.

Let us know how it goes.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catcher was weaned just shy of 4 months. She was eating my poor mare's mane and tail off! She was demonstrating all of the same behaviors you indicated Riley is and I had no problems. I think independance is the key. She and mom stayed on the same property and could see each other. During the day, I put her in with a trusted mare for grazing and stalled her alone at night. I never had any trouble out of either of them. Mom seemed relieved. Occasionally they will groom each other over the fence.

I do understand that some foals will become frantic and try to jump out of stalls, etc. Just be prepared! A friend of mine always puts a board across the stall opening so they can't stick their heads out. She says it keeps them from even considering jumping out. My girl seemed like she could care less...more room in the stall for her!

P.S. They will start eating more grain when you wean them and they will start growing faster!! Take all your "cute, little" pictures now!!

Fred H. Moyer
Yearling
Username: Fmoyer

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is some pretty good articles that say when you wean you should try and wean during a time you can spend quite a bit of time with your weanling. Putting them with another horse when weaned is the major contributer to herd boundness. If possible put them a couple of hours a day with another foal or horse, but try and spend at least several hours a day with your weanling. This is when they will really bond with humans. I will find the link and post the articles. The articles also advocate getting the mare out of sight, smell and sound of the foal. The initial stress goes away quickly and is much less stressful in the long run. That is only if you have that optionavailable to you.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Fred on making sure you have a lot of time to spend with them. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with her during the additional time since she was up to speed on all the basics of leading, standing, etc. I bought a video on teaching horse tricks and I worked with her on basic little tricks during this time. She has learned to shake (only on command), bow and pick up things in her mouth. We are working on laying down now. There are about 20 things on the video and I don't know if I will get to all of them. I have found her very attentive and happy to be occupied. She also seems to understand that she is supposed to learn and is picking up on new things much quicker now. We have been working for about a month. I think the mental stimulation and learning mode will be beneficial in the long run not to mention it is just too cute to have a performing baby!

Fred H. Moyer
Yearling
Username: Fmoyer

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link. There are three really good articles on weaning.

http://www.alphahorse.com/horse-care.html

Hannah MacDonald
Yearling
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well i've decided on a gradual weaning with Huey and Doubtful as we have no other horses for him to buddy up with. Over the past few weekends hes been spending 4 hours in the stable next door to his Mum and been ok with it. So I took a leap of faith tonight and have put him in again hoping that they will go the whole night! I am probably going to have a bad nights sleep but feel that now is the time. Mum looked quite happy with the situation so I am hoping if he gets stressed she will calm him down. I am now off work until Monday so can spend time with him over the next 3/4 days

Here's hoping he is ok!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US