SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Now im frustrated!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Now im frustrated! « Previous Next »

Hannah Mills
Weanling
Username: Hkvmills

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all, this is getting all to fimiliar posting about leading probelms, i have had sooo much trouble with it! Up until today i thought we were making slow progress with the leading, we occassionally had some off days, but i assumed that that was normal. So far i have only lead him from stable to field and vice versa (field is directly in front of stables, say about 20meters). However because the weather isnt so hot they are now out 24/7, so today i thought we would practice in the field! BIG MISTAKE! It has made me realise that we havent improved at all. He is now nearly 3months old and is too big to man handle and get my arms around, all he does is throw himself down, run backwards, rear, all the horrid things he can think of, it really looks like he still doesnt understand what im asking of him. (i know its not his fault, its all mine, im feeling so low right now)
Please please can you help me, give me suggestions etc.
Thanks in advance
Hannah

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah, we start with teaching ours to walk and follow us in a circle. (that keeps them off balance a little to start with and encourages them to take a step forward) when the rearing and backing up starts, just follow him, don't get into a pulling contest, he could get hurt very easily if he goes over backwards. Start with doing a little bit each time and you'll have him going in no time. For some of the more difficult foals, we'll get help to follow along behind them when we lead them, this puts a little pressure on from behind and helps them to understand to go forward. Good luck, Ev.

Hannah Mills
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ev, i feel rock bottom today, this is my first foal and i really feel useless, its like the blind leading the blind. He is only a baby and doesnt know what im asking, and although i know what i am hoping to achieve, i dont think im asking or doing it in the correct way. Your right about walking in a circle, he does seem a little more co-operative doing it that way, and he backs up with a little prod on his chest, its just the whole going forwards when i ask him thing. i will continue with what you have suggested, and fingers crossed i will feel a bit more confident in a few days. all other ideas would be appreciated, Thanks again.

Cyndi
Weanling
Username: Jusblve

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lyons has some great books...one is called "Bringing up Baby". I have a set of training books by him and they are fabulous! You can order online or find them in any PetSmart that has a State Line Tack shop. Trust me, its a worthwhile investment. I brought home an 11month old last July that had never been handled and was still nursing his mum, the folks who had him, said if you can catch him, he's yours. After getting him home, I worked with him everyday and he's very gentle now - without those books, I don't think I would have had a happy turnout. Just my two-cents...lol

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah leading in the turn out is like riding in the turn out, they will be less likely to come to you or work if they are in their own turn out. where is the mare when you try to lead the foal? it may help you a bit if you can have someone lead the mare outside of the turn out in vision distance of the foal, then click the lead shank onto the foal and lead the foal up to the mare, do this every day, but take the mare further out each time, the foal will be encouraged to find its mother this way and will lead easily, then after this goes well, lead the mare out and have her hidden from sight, do the same thing, it will get better, in fact the foal will expect to be led whenever the mare is taken out of the turnout. good luck.

Megan Diehl
Weanling
Username: Megan

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you tried using a butt rope on him? You run a, I use a lounge line, from the right side of the halter around his butt. Then hold it in your right hand, and a regular lead rope in the other. Give him a pull on the lead and if he doesn't move then give a tug on the butt rope. This can also help with the pulling back, you can just counter act with the butt rope. It worked well with our baby this spring. You have to remeber to relase the pressure on the butt rope when he does move foward. That was the hard part for me.

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 409
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

butt ropes do help alot. also remember not to keep pulling when he pulls back no one wins in a tug of war except frustration and anger on the humans part. tugs as encouragement then pressure from the butt rope is what you need, when he follows your lead relax the butt rope. I have had to use that method with some of my young stud colts, but most of my fillies did not need it. little boys like to test alot I feel. good luck Hannah..thanks Megan for your suggestion, your right it should help hannah with this one.

Hannah Mills
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When he was younger and i was first teaching him to lead i used a butt rope, however he didnt seem to like it very much as everytime he felt the pressure behind he would drop himself to the floor, therefore i gave up with that method.
Jan H, in answer to your first post, mum is always nearby, loose in the field, so when she moves or wanders off, i try to follow, but Griffin really isnt interested. I will just have to keep practising and perservering. Thanks for all your support. I will report back in a few days with our progress!
Hannah

Hannah Mills
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, things are improving. He does seem to have some strange little quirks tho, but im feeling a bit better about the whole situation now. I have given up leading in or near his paddock (this is where he still naughty), i now take him somewhere new everyday, all around the yard, into different fields, up the drive etc, he is perfect, sometimes he has a little spurt of speed if something startles him where he then drags me along for a few strides, but other than that he sticks to me like glue, almost using me as re-assurance that its all ok and safe. I just hope his good behaviour continues. Oh, also the farrier came and Griffin was so good. Im a proud mummy again. Yipee!

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so glad things are getting better! Hope he continues to be a GOOD BOY!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah,
Your frustration is easly understood by many. It took a long while for my Buddy to get the knack of being led (and not dragging, or bucking, etc). But, when they finally get it, it's as if a light goes on in their head.
You will probably find that once Griffin is weaned, that his behavior in hand improves. Just keep up the good work, and just like everything else...they adapt well with good handling.
Foals are like sponges...they soak up information. Patience and being consistant is the key.

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah, have you weaned your colt yet?
The colt we had last year was this same way. But when we weaned him everything changed. He was easy to handle, and I was able to take charge and he acted like I was his security and he did evyerthing I asked of him. We where even able to work on clipping, loading, and bathing. But he was awful until we weaned him.

Hannah Mills
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 04:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kassie, no he isnt weaned as he is only 3 months old, im planning on weaning at about 6-7 months. Lets hope you and heather are right about things getting even better once he is weaned! It might even make me look forward to the process. Thanks for all your help, really appreciated.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US