SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Looks like I was wrong.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Looks like I was wrong. « Previous Next »

Marci Nadler
Yearling
Username: Shadowsfire

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here I thought that Shadow was losing weight and trimming up after changing her hay to a better quality. Well she still is FAT-mostly in the tummy area. And the other day I looked out the window to see a basket ball shaped bump on only one side with her stomach going up and down pretty violently. I was able to snap a picture of it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/8-14-06-rearbig.jpg
Then today I noticed that she is starting to get a bag.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/6-16-06front.jpg
Now one thing is strange. She really isn't THAT big. And the foal (or what ever is in her) can hide. Meaning that she can look wide but then she doesn't look fat and low. And when she looks fat and low she isn't very wide in fact looks much thinner-at least from the front and back. And then it seems to go up and she doesn't look but a little fat. Can the foal still be that small? There was a mini yearling stallion out there and he did get in with the mares. But he left in July, but would she carry longer if the foal was too small? The only other stallion would be an Arab like her, but they swear that he never got near the mares. But they do have boarders....Still it would have been really improbable that it could have happened with no one knowing anything.
But could she hang on to a foal for 3 extra months if it was by the mini? And it would also explain why it can disappear still at 12 months? He was very tiny, but very studly, and stranger things have happened.

Kelly Bowman
Nursing Foal
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marci,
Do you have a side view picture of your mare?

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, but the odd thing is it also goes up when she is out and down when she is in. LOL I think this foal like the turn sideways and then the more normal straight in line with her back-Its the oddest thing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/8-15-06side.jpg
And her is one where is shows it best.
up
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/8-16-06front2.jpg
And down
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/8-16-06side-1.jpg
Out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/8-14-06-rearbig.jpg
and up
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/8-4-06.jpg
I haven't a clue as to actual breeding dates, but she has started to make a little bag.

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock
Username: Stormyrood

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee Marci,
I was so excited when I checked on here today. I thought you were going to have a foal announcement so I skipped what you wrote and went straight for the picture....but you are right, Shadow does have something strange going on in there!!!! I do see where she's lost a little weight too. As for me, I have pretty much given up on thinking Missy is pregnant. She is on a strict diet and losing weight too but at times, she still gets funny shapes that poke out far on one side too. Good luck to you! I hope you have a baby announcement to post very soon. Keep me posted!

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch we will have December babies.

Debra Daniels
Neonate
Username: Sagit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been reading this board for awhile, but not posting,just learning. I am so glad that I am not the ONLY one with a strange Maiden that was so big and sticking out that she could barely balance...and then one day it was only below and doesn't even look like the same mare! Still waiting........

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah but this is Shadow 2nd baby. Last one (8 yrs ago) there was no guessing about it. I purposely bred her, had her ultra-sounded, and when she showed she was very big and round-and her whole belly would do that up and down movement towards the end. But she was in foal to a much larger (width wise) stallion and she was younger then too. She is 20 now and I am quite happy this foal is smaller.
I'm looking now at her newborn photos and her back was about 4 inches higher than her mothers underline. She had to bend down then up to drink.

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missy looks like she's losing overall body weight and even a little belly weight but looking at it tonight, it's still out there and in a strange way. I mean, it doesn't just stick out all over. It looks almost flat yet long in spots and then sticks out mainly at the bottom and towards the back and it looks rounded. I can't even really explain it. I took my (nearly) four year old for a walk in the pasture with me tonight and when we were standing behind Missy (from an out-of-kick-zone distance of course)she said "Missy's belly is REALLY BIG!" I had to laugh at the way she said it and told her yes, she's right, it is!

I am excited to see what happens with Shadow. Is she still on the diet or are you giving her the amount you were before now that there is so much reason to think SHE IS pregnant? Missy is still on the grassy alfalfa, but I have downed her ration.

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I had to change hay from the cheap grass hay to the more expensive alfalfa/timothy mix. So she doesn't get as much, but then its so much better hay she doesn't need as much.
Tonight I was out with her after feeding hay and I was standing with my hands on her tummy talking to the baby (yeah baby talking) and willing it to move and I noticed her tummy swelling a bit, so I look the other side and her tummy is flat there- it had all moved over to the side I was standing on baby talking. So sweet.
Tomorrow I'm going to try it again and see if it will follow me back to the other side. LOL
So do you think I could get it halter broke while its still in there?

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How sweet. You could always try!!!! That would be one heck of a foal!!! So, are you going to keep it? Shadow is getting a little age on her and although you could NEVER replace HER, her baby might be nice to have around...
Just a curiosity question for my own information, at what age should you stop breeding a mare? Missy is twelve and if she's not pregnant, I would like to breed her some day....although at this time, I'm not sure when

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know.
I really wanted something gaited for my next horse but then it would be wonderful to have a piece of my mare left when she passes to the next one. Guess it all depends.
Yeah it does get harder for them as they get older, Shadow was 12 the last times she foaled and she did really well. Hopefully this one goes as well

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the older they are and the number of previous foals they have had in the past all contribute on a mares ability to carry a foal to term/get in foal. I do not like to see a maiden mare at the age of 17 to 20 years old. but others may have no problem with it. mares which have had multiple births over the span of say 18 to 20 years may have hormonal problems or even placental insufficiency problems with each birth the uterous is a bit for lack of a better word (scarred). I think that anyone thinking about breeding a mare should have a prebreeding check on the mare for reproductive soundness (I know I do and it is worth every penny).

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan
If I do rebreed Missy, it will be within the next year or two.

That is something to think about Marci. I understand on both points. If you buy the horse of your choosing, it's just that....your choosing. Then again, if you keep Shadow's baby, it is a piece of her. Good luck no matter what you decide! Hey, you could have your cake and eat it too if you buy a gaited horse AND keep Shadow's baby!

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to help and good luck with breeding Missy next year! You will have a good amount of time to work on her training and get to pick the stallion of your choice. :-) I am sure she will have a lovely foal. Keep us informed on your stallion choice, and looking forward to sharing foal watch for 2008 together. :-)

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 846
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsahrah was 17 when she foaled this year, she was 7 yhe last time she foaled before that, by the advise of 3 vets and myself we chose not to rebreed her due to her age and the fact she had so many problems late pregnancy (edema and being hUGE) and the difficult delivery, also that she an easy keeper and it is hard to keep weight OFF of her, and hte heavier during preg and delivery the worse it is...so my two cents worth on age...

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any news Marci???

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope we seem to be in a holding pattern.
teats get larger and then smaller, but not to the point where I think she is getting really close. Belly is smaller though to my eye. But then I have cut her hay down to a normal 2 1/2 flakes of really good hay a day. Its probably about 15 lbs of hay. Then 1 lb each of cob and alfalfa pellets. So any hay belly that was there is gone now. Its all baby.
I did take some pictures today-LOL baby seems to be sitting a little sideways today well at least the last time I looked out the window it seemed that way. Haven't seen any movement but then we moved the corral back a bit so that I can get the new barn up. Have to get that done before it starts seriously raining. She already has her thick winter coat in, its just going to be getting longer as it gets cooler. We have had some cool nights already so I know that fall can't be far behind.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/8-27-06rt.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/8-27-06rtside.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US