SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare not happy with foal suckling

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Mare not happy with foal suckling « Previous Next »

lynsey
Nursing Foal
Username: Lynz

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my foal is 5 days old, the mother was fine with the foal suckling upto yesterday and now she is kicking out and not very happy when she drinks,i have distracted her with food, and held her , though she is still not happy about it. any words of wisdom?

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 670
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did the foal have teeth at birth ? Sometimes they are born without their teeth and the will pop the surface within the first week to 10 days, if the foal didn't have teeth and now does, it will learn to latch on without biting. It takes a bit of time and your mare is doing what she is doing because it hurts ! Normally after the baby latches on its ok.

Is the mare making enough milk ? It too can hurt if the mare is not producing enough milk and baby is trying to suck. Listen for the baby to be swallowing frequently while nursing, watch the throat to see if it looks like it is swallowing.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 980
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also check to make sure that the mare does not have mastitis. Is her udder hard and hot? Can you milk a little milk off, and if you can, does it look like milk or cottage cheesish (if that's a word!)?

lynsey
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no she has no teeth and i can here a sucking noise when the foal is drinking, i was worried that she wasnt producing milk but i had a look after she drank and there was a drop of milk on her teats. She has not got mastitis and it looks like milk.

lynsey
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have been out watching them and sometimes she lets the foal drink and other times she won't, do mothers some times decide that they have had enough or does the foal only drink when it is hungry?

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, mothers dictate when and how long they nurse for! It is natures way of letting babe know mom is in charge and making the foal dependant on the mare. If all else seems normal and they appear to be nursing, baby is swallowing and you can see the movement,noise, and it is producing urin and manure, then I would bet everything is pretty normal. Babe is looking normal, and not dehydrated (test with the gums--press on them and the red should return quickly, or a fold test in the neck, pull the skin up and it should return to the flat appearence quickly-- if it does not return quickly then chances are there is some dehyrdration)...

Good luck
Kim

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 842
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare did the same thing, but she had mastitis. her milk was not "cottage cheesish" or yellowed, but her udder was very hard and hot and she wouldnt let her baby eat. Vet attributed it to bruising because the colt was a very nudgy foal, always nudging for more, aggresive, after some bananine and antibiotics she was as good as new!

lynsey
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i have been watching again today, she is better with her again, a few faces being pulled but no kicking out, i had a squeeze of her teats and got some milk out but it was an effort to get it out, i did the dehydration test and at the moment the foal is okay, i have seen her drinking water from thr bucket in the feild too.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US