SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

"The Missy Connection"

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » "The Missy Connection" « Previous Next »

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock
Username: Stormyrood

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone who has been keeping up with mine and Missy's story. We both appreciate it! I told her the other day, "You're famous now girl! People actually check in every day to see what's new with you!" She turned and looked at me like I was nuts {lol} and after this wait, she's probably right! Anyway, the support on here is awesome and I so appreciate you opening up your life and heart to us and the story we have to tell. I'm not doing this site for any glory, it's your support that is pulling me through! I no longer doubt that my mare is in fact pregnant. I think the pictures I have tonight might even change the skeptic mind...but if not, that's ok. I want to hear from them too. All of you as a whole are what keeps me coming back to this forum and the combined knowledge is what makes it so awesome, so keep the comments coming. I might not always want to hear them, but I do take them as they are meant and appreciate each and every one. Okay, enough rambling...here are the pictures. Real quick, just let me say...I still think my breed dates are right although I cannot explain why it's taken so long. Either way, Missy has been progressing a lot over the past week and I am hoping we're close to this all being over so we can share baby pictures!
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/e0781884.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/1eeda719.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/4b228ab8.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/Jun17832.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/Jun17834.jpg[/IMG]

Marie
Weanling
Username: Lilbitkansas

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Stormy, I for one from looking at her pics all this time have never doubted she was preggers. Considering she is a maiden, and I have read some can hide it completely and will not even have any udder developement until right at or after foaling, but I have noticed her belly changing shape, lower etc in the pics.
This is my last mare due to foal and she is maiden, these pics were taken mid to late May, her udder looks the same now as it did then. Her body shape has not changed much either, but she is a maiden. Her older sister did not look very pregnant at all, and her udder went from nothing to WOW in a week and she foaled.
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f34/lilbitkansas/LilBits%20Pregnancy%20Pics/
LilBit is due around the end of this month, I figure she will have it when that baby is dang good and ready to be here.
Missy is really showing alot of changes this week so hopefully it will not be long now.
Can you tell me what type of camera you use? I am a photographer and may be able to help you get some better udder pics etc if I know the exact name of the camera.
Sending Happy Foaling Vibes your way.
Oh I changed my e-mail to lilbitkansas@gmail.com feel free to e-mail me anytime. Have a great day, Marie

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Stormy,

It's Beverly again.. Missy has got some changes going on...
I am not a photographer at all like Marie, but i know if you take a picture one way it will be very misleading to the actual way she looks.

Also if she is not standing flat footed with all four feet squared it will look like her stomach sticks out more on one side... you need to again...Stand directly behind her get on your knees (at a safe distance of course) and get a full body shot of her that way, then you need to get one front the exact side (not a little more to the head or butt) directly in the middle.

Do the same for the front and the other side... it takes two people to do this usually so you can make sure she is standing right. she needs to have her head up, not down also.

If you have a throw away camera you can usually get a god picture of her udder. If you have a flash. Do you have a screen to look at to see the picture? If so, you don't have to get under her at all. just stick the camera under her bely and look at the screen and make sure the flash is on.. Simple..

i still hope she is pregnant for you..i really want her to be. Have you been able to talk to the vet again? at least let him know what you want him to do this time. before you even make the appointment.

Good Luck and maybe she will pop that baby out real soon.

Karen M. Whitaker
Yearling
Username: Karenw

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Missy - I had a seed of doubt planted from someone the other day too! I've got it posted on a few other threads, but basically this older guy (84 years old) said that my mare wasn't pregnant because he saw her displaying strong heat signals! I still think she is, although the vet for some reason wasn't able to tell definitely early on if she was or not. She's at 300 days this week. My vet & I are both treating her as if she is. I'm simplifying it some, but it was so discouraging to have someone say those things and be so insistant about it.

I know he means well, but all the months of excitement, and then bam - you start to second guess everything! I looked at your pictures and they look a lot like my mare does. She gets lopsided on either side at times, is starting to develop a bag & is producing fluid that looks a lot like weak skim milk. I just can't believe she's NOT pregnant. I've had her for 14 years, and the only other time she was this way was when she was pregnant the one other time.

I have a question about "Veeing". What is that? I was looking at Layla this afternoon and she had a distinct "line" on either side of her belly, which made me think if that's what people talk about. Her last breeding date was August 25, 2005, so she's not due until later July.

Beth Nesbitt
Nursing Foal
Username: Ponygirl

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen,
They "V" when the foal turns to enter the birth canal. Looking a them from either side the belly sticks dowm more, hence the v-shape. And from front or back, hers side are flatter than before. There are some good pictures of the changes on http//www.ravenhurststables.com/New%20Web/Mare%development.htm

Karen M. Whitaker
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth - I keep getting a popup that says web page not found & apparently I can't get it on my server. Do you have any other pictures showing it? Or know of any other websites?

Beth Nesbitt
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen, try this link http://www.ravenhurststables.com/New%20Web/default.htm and then look for the mare comparison page.

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy,

First of all i am not planting a seed of doubt, I am trying to be honest and think about things.. If she is pregnant...she would be well over 420+ days... the longest gestation on record I believe was only 417. She is either not pregnant or else another stud may have gotten her after stormy had her.

Which is very unlikely. you would normally see something if you watch your horses. There would be that discharge on the tail from where her and the stallion bred, and personally most stallions won't just breed once and jump the fence and go back home.. they will breed until the mare will not let them anymore.

Sure there is a possibility of the stallion owner coming and getting the stallion and not letting you know it, but highly unlikely. Besides someone would have had to see this horse.

I am not trying to be mean but it seems everyone thinks I am just because I am telling you it is highly unlikely..i have not heard anything from Jo's so evidently he believes your mare is not pregnant either.. Of course no one really knows unless the vet checks her, but it seems when he came over he did not know you wanted him to palpate her to check for pregnancy.

I would be very happy for you if she was pregnant, i still check the board everyday to see if she has had a baby, but it is getting more and more unlikely that she is pregnant. if she is pregnant the baby will probably for sure die if your breeding dates are right.. I have not heard of any horse going this long ( of course that doesn't mean there isn't, just means I haven't heard of it)

If you have been lunging her and she still hasn't shown signs of having this baby, 9 out of 10 she isn't. she would get a bag or something. Most maidens will get some sort of bag. I have never seen a udder picture of Missy. Her vulva has not elongated which means she is not ready which means she would have a very long time to go yet, which would make her closer to 500 days than 400.

I will shut up now, as i am sure some of you think I am being a b***h, but I am simply trying to make you realize something and you are putting your horses life on the line. talk to your vet and see if he will hold a check and then borrow that trailer you were talking about and get her to his house.

That is the only way you will know for sure!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beverly, I don't think you're being a bitch. Now that I know you better, I understand that you are just expressing concern which I appreciate. I actually have been in contact with Jos. Check out "Attn. Jos" I am the one who started that thread and he has responded. Jos himself has experienced prolonged gestation. One of his went to 416 days, I believe. He is also the one who gave me the information about the record now being at 445 days. Check out that thread if you like, it's pretty interesting! There is a link to the front page of this colum there too which has a printing on the article of how the record was broke this very year. Gestations this long do exist, just not too often. I have actually found litle information on them but Jos had a great idea and suggested I contact my local teaching university for more information because they deal with odd cases like this. That has helped some. It seems that these gestations do occur more often than it is documented. It's still rare, don't get me wrong, but it happens. I have read some transcripts from people just like me and those who have posted on other forums about this topic. I have also talked to a couple of people who have experienced it and know it's real. I am not going into this completely blind. One thing I have found is that those who have experienced it aren't too aweful concerned, just saying it happens now and then. Those who haven't heard of it pretty much think if they haven't seen it, then it doesn't exist and they either blow off the idea or are very concerned. I actually understand both points because I've been on either side of that line! The vet I had out is one of those that says "I haven't seen it so there is no way it exists!" Anyway, thanks for the concern. I'll let you know what I find out!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction: Jos said he had one go 415 days! Check out "Attn. Jos"

Daniel Crouse
Yearling
Username: Sneakers17

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I got prom tonight and afterparty; hopefully theres good news when I wake up.

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have fun! I missed my prom going to a theme park instead! Now my 10 year high school reunion is coming up. Time flies!!!!

Karen M. Whitaker
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth, thanks, that site worked! Layla looks close to the picture at 319 days, which makes sense, because I have her a just 300 days this week.

I have the vet coming out today to re-check her leg injury & asked her to bring the ultrasound machine as well. I'm nervous, because I will be SO disappointed if she's not, but I know it's better to know for sure!

I'll keep you all posted.
Karen

SANDY WEIDEMAN
Nursing Foal
Username: Codiie

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beverly, I dont think you are being unreasonably, I too also think that Missy is not pregnant, and I am not trying to be mean either, there is no evidence at all about this mare being pregnant. I have a 6yr old arab mare, that looks the same as she does, and I know for a fact that she is not pregnant. Missy has just been eating for 2 for so long that she gained lots of weight, and it takes awhile for horses to loose weith..

Stormy.. Please dont take this as critisism, I too have looked forward to your posts and your stories, and Missy is a beautiful mare. You sound like you have done wonders with her on trust and training, and you should be proud of that.. There is nothing like having a special relationship with a horse.. and seems you and Missy have that.
Take care Stormy, and I do hope you start getting on with training her, and stop worrying/thinking she pregnant, your life will become a lot less stressful for you and you will enjoy her so much more....

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sandy,

I appreciate someone else thinking the same thing I am..

I am not a mean person and as i told you in the other thread i would gladly give you a free breeding to our stud, but unfortunately you do live all the way across the world!LOL.
If we did frozen semen I could do that, but then i would be out of money by having to do all that "extra" stuff that isn't done just on live cover.

If anyone else is near South Carolina and needs an awesome stud for a next to nothing stud fee....let me know..since it is so late in the breeding season, we have a few "fall" breedings open and would like to offer them to anyone that can get to him for live cover.

Stormy, again i hope she is pregnant but I do doubt it so much. she has gotten a different look to her belly in those pictures, but like I said that could be the way she is standing..

I hope she has a foal fro you some day. good luck and i will look forward to reading your posts.

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missy is a nice mare, I feel she is not pregnant as well and have shared that point numerous times, but its ok if Stormy believes she is, we may all be surprised if she suddenlyy changes and has a foal, though I doubt it. But there is a very remote chance she will if the breeding dates are very wrong. Either way Stormy will know sooner or later. Hang in there Stormy we all love you and Missy!

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also think Missy is open. My biggest concern is for Stormys peace of mind.
You have been through quite a lot emotionally lately. The scare with your daughter would have done me in. That is the reason I hope you can get her checked. For your peace of mind.

Emily West
Neonate
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, I agree that by now I think I would have gone crazy. So I feel for you Stormy. I know what it is like to worry so much that you get sick. I had the hardest time getting a vet to were I live to check my mare to see if she would be able to have a foal, she has never had a baby after a few trys but that is a whole other LONG story. We made several appointments for the vet to come but he is far away and they kept getting canceled. Once he finally came and the visit was over I was able to let lose and cry on my mares neck. They were happy tears though because it was not bad news.
So Stormy I know what mental and emotional stress this can put on a person. You have hung on this far so I have faith that you will hang on to the end whatever that may be.

Donna Toepper
Neonate
Username: Toeps

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend had a mare that went all the way to udder development and dripping milk with a false pregnancy. They sat in the barn with her, swearing she was in labor, waiting. When she hadn't foaled the next morning they called the vet. The mare had slipped the foal in early pregnancy and was no longer pregnant.
Please find out for sure for your own peace of mind and for Missy. If she is not preggers, you don't want her to founder with the extra chow.
Good luck! For your joy, I hope she is

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you to everyone. I know you all care or you wouldn't bother reading or posting...so thank you. Honestly, I am doing fine. I have picked back up the training and for lack of a better explanation, have left the rest in God's hands. I honestly feel much better now! I'll tell you, I have never been too much of a religious person...I mean I have always believed in God but I haven't attended church on a regular basis or anything like that. When my grandpa was diagnosed with cancer five years ago, I pretty much gave up on faith all together. He had helped raise me and was more like my father to me than anything. He had been a God loving man his entire life and I just couldn't understand why he had to suffer so. My Papa never questioned "Why me? Why did God do this to me?" But I did! I was six and a half months pregnant with my first child, his first great-grandchild when he passed away at home, surrounded by his family and friends. I cursed God and everything that had to do with HIM for a long time but over the last few years, I have learned to trust my faith again. I still don't think that every single thing that is wrong in life can be fixed by faith alone, don't get me wrong, but with Missy I figure HE knows how I feel about her and HE will take care of her whether she is pregnant or not. I have found peace in this. I am strong willed anyway and about as hard headed as they come. I have survived thus far and I can get through this too, either way! I do so appreciate the support of this board so thank you all!

Karen M. Whitaker
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy, believe me, I know just how you feel - Just finding out that my mare Layla, may not be pregnant after all is like a kick in the gut! First I went through all winter thinking she hadn't settled, but then this spring it looked like she was indeed pregnant, had the vet out & at that time even she was more inclined to think she was too, although she wasn't able to feel much. She thought maybe the foal had dropped too far down to reach.

The vet was "inconclusive", but said she wasn't convinced she wasn't pregnant, and to go ahead and treat her like she was. It was like Christmas, I was so excited! All the signs were there, and are STILL there, - so it's hard to have to accept that it may not be, especially since this would be Layla's last foal.

Then yesterday, when I had her palpated one more time and the vet didn't feel anything again, I felt so crushed. It's hard hearing about all the other babies now, even though I'm so thrilled for all of you, I feel like I've lost something.

Layla's healthy, and at least I still have her. I love her so much! I can always get a young one and raise it up. That way I can be sure to get the filly I want.

Stormy, I'm so sorry about your grandfather, but I'm glad that you're learning to lean on your faith. It's gotten me through so many things, including my own husband having cancer. He's completely healed now, and I know I couldn't have gotten through it without my faith. Hang in there. Everyone on these boards is so supportive!

God bless.........

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Karen,
I am very happy to hear that your husband recovered from cancer! I'm sorry about your troubles with Layla. I wish you the best of luck with her either way!

Missy seems to be doing ok. There's not too much to report but I promise I will keep you all updated and you will know when she finally pops!!!!

Bonnie Christian
Neonate
Username: Bonnienin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I would let you know I am still here and checking every morning for the latest updates.

Emily West
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too, I have been checking often.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me, too! Boy I missed this board when it was down!

Thank you Jos and anyone else who worked out the problems!

(Message edited by katheekj on June 25, 2006)

Karen Whitaker
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iím so glad the boards are back! I have missed it SO much. I just went out to Laylaís to check her, and took some pictures. The one of her leg is kind of gross, but I guess thatís the healing process. I'm using "cut heal" on it, and so now the wound is supposed to stay open to the air. It must not be bothering her too, too bad, because she trotted right up to me when she saw me. Still, no riding for quite a while yet.

I also wanted to know what you think of her belly. I just canít shake the feeling that sheís still pregnant. Iím not grasping at straws, Iím just going by my gut feeling and what I see every day in her. Also, the veins that are popping out underneath Ė are those the milk veins I hear talk about? I know there's quite a few pictures, but I wanted to give plenty of examples!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/karenwhit/IMG_0967.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/karenwhit/IMG_0973.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/karenwhit/IMG_0977.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/karenwhit/IMG_0974.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/karenwhit/IMG_0975.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/karenwhit/IMG_0971.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/karenwhit/IMG_0969.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/karenwhit/IMG_0968.jpg

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 411
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bonnie, Emily and Kathee!
I'm glad it's back up too!

Karen, I'm going to say go with your gut on this one but do keep in the back of your mind that she may not be pregnant, just in case so that it's not so hard to accept if she's not. That's what I try to do. I still believe Missy is pregnant, no doubt, but I keep that slight thought back there just in case...I do see a lot of the same stuff in Layla as Missy and I do think she's pregnant. I hope she is for you! Don't give up, I think some things we're just not supposed to know until it's time. Missy has those same veins, that same belly shape, etc. If you can't reach me due to the board being down, email me (any of you who want to know what's going on with Missy) StormyRood@aol.com and I will respond. Just put something in the subject line about the board so I know it's not spam. I feel like it's my duty to keep you all informed since you've been so great to me! I will try to post some new pictures soon too. BTW Karen, what happened to her leg? You may want to try Wound Coat on that. It's a bluish/purple spray and works miracles!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few pictures. The first was taken on 6/21 and the other two were taken on 6/24

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/2e7a8ea9.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/c6ab6e2a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/bc3e567d.jpg[/IMG]

Karen Whitaker
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy, I agree, I need to be realistic that she may not be pregnant, & I really will be fine with it if she isn't.

As far as her leg goes, she rolled too close to the fence and got tangled up. I didn't see it actually happen, but that's my best guess. Luckily I got there right after it happened. This was about a month ago already. I just started using this "cut heal" on it, and am supposed to keep it open. However, I'm open to anything that might work better! Where can you get Wound Cut?

Thanks for the support!

P.S. I also hope Missy's pregnant as well! When should she be due?

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen, You can pick up Wound Kotet (I gave the wrong name before, sorry) at most pet supply stores, I believe. I get it at Tractor Supply Co but I'm in CA and not sure you have one of those stores. It's in a little aresol can. It's for use on dogs, horses, etc. My dog got a horrible cut last year, ripping a big chunk of flesh. That's what we used and it worked miracles! She healed quickly and only has a little scar. I have also used it on Missy for wounds. Cut Heal is good but I think the other works better. I have used both. Sorry, it's actually called WOUND-KOTET by a company called Farnam

As far as Missy goes, she is WAY overdue which is why I think there's so much concern. Good luck with Layla!

Karen Whitaker
Yearling

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a lot! I'm in Minnesota & we have "TSC", which I think is the same thing. I have to go into town tomorrow, so I'll check it out.

I hope everything's ok with Missy. Did you follow Amanda's story with her mare? She went way over as well, but now she has the most beautiful BIG colt!! He's just gorgeous!

I still have about 5 weeks to go with Layla.

Thanks again for the info & be sure to keep us all posted on Missy!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 415
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad the info helped Karen,
Which thread is Amanda's story on? If you want to see what that stuff looks like before you go to town, email me and I will send you back a picture. I tried to post it on here but couldn't get it to work.

Marci Nadler
Weanling
Username: Shadowsfire

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could try this? http://www.foalproof.com/ But then you need to draw blood.

Karen Whitaker
Yearling

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy, it's on the "Ready & Waiting? - Foalwatch!" & the thread is Amanda's Update. It makes for nail-biting reading, but the ending is great!

I would like to know what to look for, so I will email you....

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Karen, I read it today. What a story! I am so happy for Amanda that everything turned out ok in the end.

thank you for the info Marci

No news to report on Missy today. I haven't been able to go out as often. We've been really busy at home lately. I will go see her tomorrow though and update you all then!

Amanda Gilbert
Yearling
Username: Amanda

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy Thanks for your kind words and reading about what happened with my mare. I hope every thing goes well for you and Missy she is a pretty girl.

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Amanda

Here are a few pictures from today
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/8a6cd2c8.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/d1a9a469.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/5439d5b9.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/134c78c9.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/9e425eed.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/d393e685.jpg[/IMG]

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is the last time you wormed her stormy?

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy how many days gestation is she now?

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Megan, she's due for worming in early July.
Thanks for reminding me to check my calendar!

Jan~ 442

I'm on my way out to see her. I'll have an update when I get home

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just thinking her weight was looking better but she's still got a belly. If she was really wormy that might give her a tummy, but doesn't sound like that's the case. Oh well !

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow 442 days umm think she may have chosen to keep that foal till next year? Hope everything is ok with her, she is a pretty thing. My little filly got kicked today and I will know tomorrow morning if she broke her leg or not. prayers are very much requested for little Checota. Hang in there Stormy give that Missy a big ole hug.

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 422
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Megan~ That belly sure does move a lot...wonder if those worms are itching to get out?!?! {hehe} Heck, I'd settle for worms at this point! (not really)

Jan~ prayers are with your little filly. Poor girl! I sure hope she's ok. Sorry to hear she got kicked. I love her name!
I will give Missy a hug when she stops being a witch. She hasn't wanted to be touched the last few days. She gives me quick loves and then off she goes to be alone. i just oblige. Who knows, maybe it will pay off (someday)
I do hope your little one makes a quick recovery. I'll keep her in prayer!

Emily West
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Jan. I hope your filly will be okay. I'll be praying for you and her.

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your concern everyone, Vet has checked out Checota, she has a deep contussion on her front leg just below the knee, but xrays show no fracture and Ultrasound found no damage to soft tissue other then bruising so she will be ok other than some swelling and a bit of heat, she is starting to put weight on it and the vet thinks she will make a full recovery! Thank God!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 423
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news Jan! Sorry she's hurt but at least she'll heal.

Emily West
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hurray. That is wonderful!!!!

sandra dillard
Breeding Stock
Username: Magnolia

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Stormy!! just checking in on Missy!! Grace is doing wonderful!! She is growing so fast... I'll keep an eye on this post to keep up with you and you have my email also, so keep me posted!!!!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey there Sandra~ Glad Grace is doing well. She is such a pretty girl! Missy is doing ok. I keep sitting here thinking that there's no way she's pregnant...it's just taking too long...only to go out there and see her and after about two minutes of being with her, there's no question left in my mind. I can't even explain it. I'm about to pull my hair out but I try to be patient. Maybe someday... Anyway, as soon as there's news I will be posting on here AND emailing everyone who's address I have, rest assured! Thanks to all for the continued support!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IF I'm right and Missy is in fact pregnant...and the breed is from the paint stallion (which is the only one I am aware of) we are at 445 days today which is where the record now stands. Scary thought!!!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No new news to report. Just wanted to say hello to those who are checking in...
I promise I'll let you know as soon as I know something. I'll be going back out tomorrow to see Missy.

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 01:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I do have SOMETHING to brag about tonight...
I was able to put the saddle blanket and saddle on Missy and even tighten the girth (not too tight) without a single complaint or movement, all without the use of a lead rope. Not a huge feat for most, I know, but it was a HUGE accomplishment for her!!!!

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 542
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your hard work is paying off! I have one that I would have trouble saddling without being tied!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 433
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marci and Kathee
Missy is doing real well. I wasn't really planning on doing the saddling yesterday (which explains why I was wearing a skirt and flip flops) but she was doing so well that I figured what the heck and went for it. It sure did pay off! I was just amazed that she never even moved one muscle. I didn't climb up but I did put some weight on the stirrup with my foot. She would stand there very still but she'd turn her head towards me with her ears pinned back. In that case, I would reassure her all was fine and take my foot out of the stirrup long enough to go pet her face then try again. The last time, she didn't even look at me! I am thinking about taking a child size doll and placing it on the saddle while it's on her back this weekend to get her used to something sitting up there. I haven't been on her in quite some time now and I thought maybe the visual would help. The doll looks like a real child, nothing too scary...Any feedback on this idea? Anyway, training is going better than I could hope for! I never imagined that I'd be able to brush Missy without a lead rope, much less saddle her. My time has not been wasted pregnant or not! I wouldn't trade one second of the time I've shared with her!!!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 434
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much news but here's a new picture
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/Jul14962.jpg[/IMG]

Bonnie Christian
Neonate
Username: Bonnienin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I would let you know I'm still here and will be until you aren't. LOL

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bonnie. There hasn't been much to report and we've been real busy so I haven't been on too much. I now have three three year olds since my twins turned three on Saturday and my oldest doesn't turn four until September.
Life's been a little crazy lately!
Here are two new pictures of Missy. I still believe she's pregnant but I am more likely to believe that another stud got to her now. She has changed a bit over the past couple of weeks.
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/1db3d472.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/acd80ea8.jpg[/IMG]

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you still checking in, no real news to report. The excitement of late was just a young rattlesnake that found it's way into Missy's pasture and laid in between her water bucket and feeder. The real scary thing is that I had fed Missy there only about a half an hour before I saw the snake and that I had probably walked right by it several times and never knew it was there. Thankfully Missy and I are both fine, no bites but I can't say the poor snake was so lucky. Somehow by the grace of God I steered away from my usual routine of going right out and dumping her water bucket, then reaching (not looking) for the rag to clean it out with. I would have been bitten for sure. Her water was pretty clean and the pressure was low that day so I skipped it and just ran fresh water in the bucket. I actually only saw the snake when I accidently hit it with water and it coiled. Too scary for me!!!!!

Susan Lea
Weanling
Username: Brandysgrandma

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy, we have had some scary encounters with rattlesnakes out in West Texas, and the whole month we had our Tennessee "hillbilly" horses out there I worried that they wouldn't know to avoid them. The vet told me he'd had several cases of horses being bitten, though they didn't die. But thank God He protected the horses--and us! So far the snakes have always come off worse than us! I nearly stepped on one in a tack shed one day--missed it by two or three inches, so I know exactly how you feel! They make chills run up and down my back! So glad you and Missy were okay!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Susan. It's so scary, I hate snakes!!
"Assuming" Missy's pregnant, I was real worried and am very grateful that she wasn't bitten. I feel like I was being a little neglectful though. When I fed her that night, I noticed that she threw her head and backed up a few times like there was a pest present but when I looked, I saw nothing so I assumed it was a horse fly. Hindsight, it was probably that darn snake!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New pictures from today. I must apologize for the sun glare. It didn't look near this bad when I was behind the camera lense. These pictures were taken on flat ground and Missy was standing straight expect for the ones where she pulled her leg up

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/65dc8393.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/45607d8c.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/c5ff0f17.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/Aug0584.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/Aug0589.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/Aug0590.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/Aug0591.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/Aug0594.jpg[/IMG]

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 518
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 05:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill pray for you both stormy - Those pictures from straight behind at a bit of a distance do look as though she could be preggers but her butt is quite round also so there is a possibility its just weight. Ill pray that if she is its from a seperate breeding and not that anything has delayed the first for both the sake of poor missy who should be around 460 days at least by now and for the sake of your wallet because sometimes the longer we wait the more expensive things can become.

Good luck. I hope all is well in the months to come for you both.

Beth Nesbitt
Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,
Would you please explain about the butt looking quite round?

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what she/Kim means by the butt being still round is that there is no hollowing out of the tail head or softening of the croup area, so it looks more like she is a bit overweight than preggers looking from the tail portion of her body. Hope that explains it better to you Beth.
BTW unless she has a much later breeding date than the original breeding date, I feel that is is open and not preggers.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 822
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy,
I have got to say I am going to have to agree with Jan!
here is a rear view picture pf my mare at 315 days (40 days before delivery)[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_5720.jpg[/IMG]notice the difference in the abdomen shape compared to Missy? missy is flat along her sides, she looks more like my overwight mare than a pregnant mare. heres mine at 342 days [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6328.jpg[/IMG]
and missys butt is still very round, Tsaharahs is usually pretty full as well, but heres what she looked like 5 days vefore delivering.[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6488.jpg[/IMG](350 days)
and a rear view closer to delivery(6 days prior)[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6446.jpg[/IMG].
and udder view at 338 days [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6203.jpg[/IMG].
if missy's udder doesnt look like this she is a ways off yet...which would mean she defineately was bred by a different stallion MUCH later that origionally thought! I guess if I were you stormy...Id do whatever i needed to to get a vet out or bring her to one. if you honestly believe she IS pregnant...I think you owe it to her and yourself, because if she is you should not be training and saddling her if that is not what she is used to! especially if she is over 7 months! only if she had been doing it all her pregnancy would it be ok, but to start it late in a pregnancy is unhealthy!
I would still like to see an udder view...as best as you can get!!!! even blurry would give some sort of idea! HMMMM what a puzzle....if it were my horse i would do what i could to get a vet out...but maybe thats just me!
I dont mean to dissapoint you, but man you have got to wonder...its been almost 4 months since mine foaled...and we had been watching missy at that time...so if that is the case and she has not foaled she would have only been 7 months at that time...like i said...I guess i am thinking she is open...sorry!

Beth Nesbitt
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris and others,
Would you please look at my pictures. My mare is developing a hollow beside and below her tail. Is this the same thing? The link to the pictures is http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/Beth51

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 417
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy, I have to agree with everyone else, but my question would be has Missy never come back into season at all since this breeding was suppose to have taken place?? Maybe try with another stud, even if it is a local donkey and see what her reaction to it would be? Yes, for those of you who would say but if she is not in season then there would be no reaction from Missy. But bringing a stud around would eventually bring her in, if she is not pregnant??
Just my opinion......

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 827
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth-
what breed is she? maiden? is she bred? if so when? in side and front view photos she defineately looks like she could be bred as her abdomen has an irregular side to side shape with points not just straight up and down, and in the one photo there is a small amount of softness along side her tail, but hard to tell just from that pic, if she is bred i would say not any time to foal as she doesnt have a bag and is still quite round in the rump, but all horse are different.(unless she is a maiden then anything goes)
my doubts with missy are because she "looks ready" for 4 months now...but pics dont say so, her sides dont protrude alot, she is not bagging, she is still real round/plump in the rump and hasnt really changed much in 4 months...i know mine made huge changes the last 4 months!
stormy...I agree about the coming into season...has she? but remember she will not show if she is pastured alone...she needs to have someone to stimulate the showing, even if she is cycling. if she has no reason to show the signs she wont...thats how mine work anyway.
I know this is alot to take in stormy, but you have got to admit you MUST be doubting by now?!?!?!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must apologize, I thought that I had posted some of the new information that I found out recently but after reading over my posts, I guess I didn't. First let me start by telling you all about the strange phone call I received from the wife of the vet who came out to look at Missy. A while back I got this phone call from her telling me that my bill was now ready for my stallion that the vet had treated after he had been so severly beaten by those five mares...I told her "Ma'am, I have already paid you for my vet bill but I don't have a stallion, all I have is the Mustang Mare that your husband came to look at. He had told me to bring her to your place for the rectal exam since he couldn't determine whether she was pregnant or not by looking at her but I haven't been able to do that yet." She then tells me, yes I remember that but you are the only Sarah Rood I know. Finally a light clicked on in my head and I told her that she was probably looking for my sister-in-law Tara and all too glady gave her the number to reach her at. So, when we went out to my in-laws the next time, I asked what the deal was with the stallion. I had always known he was there, just one property away, but they have such an elaborate fence that I thought there was no way he could ever get out. I was then informed that he had gotten out a few times through an internal fence in their property and roamed around. They didn't know exactly where all he had ended up but he always came home. Only this time, he had gone a few miles away to a pasture full of mares and they had beaten him up. Now, this stallion is down wind from Missy. He went the opposite direction after the other mares. I am thinking that he may have visited my mare on another occasion. I know all of you are probably thinking, why don't you just have her bring him up to tease Missy? The answer is that there are a lot of differences there and I would rather not get into them all. For starters, they are the ones who were boarding the paint and did the breeding on Missy the first time. The time that I didn't know about and was not too happy about! I really just don't want to go there! I don't think they would have done that again but knowing that their horses have been getting out makes me wonder...did the bay stallion come pay Missy a visit without anyone knowing? The paint was only on the property a month or so after the original breeding but the bay has always been there. As far as heat signs, there is a male donkey in the pasture next to Missy but she has not shown any heat sign to him. I am attaching a picture from August of last year, when Missy was supposed to be four months in foal (if the original breeding had took from the paint). I am really starting to wonder on the other option though....

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture didn't work for some reason so I'll try again. Here are a couple more too. They are all from August 31 of last year
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/13ec2d28.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/7f5e586d.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/Aug31283.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/StormyRood/7398eae7.jpg[/IMG]

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 418
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stormy some mares will not show to all geldings. Supose the male donkey is not intact than she will not show at all to him. So do you know for sure if the donkey is intact or not??

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi again Stormy,

I just don't understand how you can still believe that Missy is still pregnant. Even if the bay stallion got out, she would have to be pretty close to foaling and she looks no where close to foaling.

Everyone on here ALMOST has told you they don't think missy is pregnant. I have told you also.
I hate to sound so rude and mean, but you either need to get this mare into a vet ASAP or just give up the hope that your mare is pregnant.

If you can't go to the other field where the "other" people are and it bother's "you" too much to be over there, then it seems to be you are thinking more about you than missy.

If you care about her, and I know you do, then get her to the vet, or take her to a stallion and see if she shows to him. (even that is not a foolproof method though). I have an Arabian mare that shows and she is due Jan 10th. She would let him mount her and breed, but I know she is pregnant so i don't let him.

The only way to for surely know is get a palpation or at this point you could do a blood test. Not much is needed for that. Your vet could have done that the last time if you would have had her tied. I don't know how "new" to horses you are, but when I know i have a vet appointment or farrier coming i always go get them and bring them up and brush them down, clean their feet out etc. to get them ready for whomever is coming. You should have known to get her even if your husband said we'll catch her later. knowing that she is not very fond of vets to begin with, that was in all honesty your fault.

It seems you like the attention from all the people from all over the world asking about missy (and anyone would) but now it is to the point if she is pregnant you are putting her and a possible foal in jeopardy.. If she were mine and she was in the same predicament, even if i had to train her to get on a trailer or walk her to the nearest vet if he couldn't come out there i would. Or call another vet and this time have her ready for the vet.

You can almost bet missy is NOT pregnant and you are fooling yourself if you think she is. i will be worse in the long run if you don't snap out of it now and do something positive as far as a vet. Because right now you have more people than are willing to say it out loud that think you are fooling yourself and are being down right silly to think that your mare is pregnant.

It's time to BUCK UP and face the truth. i am not saying this to be mean, just trying to get you to realize the facts or if you don't want to realize the facts....GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT!!!

There's just too many reasons why you have not had this mare checked. soo many that people will soon call you ridiculous. i am sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's time to face facts or get the facts.

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lori, The donkey is very active in his, let's say, reproducing. There were at one time two jenny's in with him that he kept bred every year. There's only one now but he does his duty with her

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 419
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so why not ask the owner of the donkey if you can use him to tease Missy, to see if she will cycle or not? Is he also directly beside her? Or a bit too far for him to nuzzle her at all? I guess in other words, how close is he to Missy? Just becasue if by chance Missy is NOT pregnant and is NOT cycling you COULD have a serious medical problem on your hands with Missy!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand Lori. The donkey is right next to her. The property is split between my husband's family. It's actually his grandma's donkey, Jack. Part of Missy's pasture runs parallel to the donkey's on one side and then again at the bottom. She and both the male and female donkey interact fairly often. Missy and the female groom each other. It's pretty funny to watch. Anyway, Missy shows no heat signs to Jack. They can reach over the fence to nip or groom at each other, which is what she does with Frances. I would think this would be access enough to tease her, right? The fence between them is about four and a half feet tall.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi stormy - what I meant by the round rump was as jan described to you - also, when my mare was pregnant I didnt keep her fat as when foaling draws closer I understand it is safer for them to be slightly underweight than over - when a horse has good weight on it the rump loses the dips at the side if it is not very muscled (and I understand missy is only just back into training so this would be the case) but if she were of normal weight I would expect there to be a flat sided rump rather than round, but a nice round belly slightly pointy in shape rather than smooth - does that make any sense to everyone but me? : )

I also tend to agree with the vet thing - I think that If you are adamant that at some point missy was bred by now you would be losing patience and if it were my baby I would want to make sure all was well since it could be so far along and there isnt milk yet - also if the foal had stopped growing, or something similar (Im thinking back to a case I heard of of a mummified foal) it could be creating havock in missy...

I dont know ALOT about breeding but i know I would be looking for some answers on my precious mare by this point. I appreciate that vets are expensive (my foals call out charge alone on sunday cost me over £100!!)but had she fallen in the field and damaged herself you would have had to scrape the money together surely, you cant just ignore health issues ever. Im only 22 - I keep my horses on my own and I have no support financial or otherwise but If I couldnt get the vet at the drop of a hat I would not choose horses as a pet option - I have always thought that a Loan or installments on my vet account are better than no vet at all. You have had quite a time to prepare for the worst - I guess Im just trying to persuade you that its a good idea. You know misy and she obviously seems well - but just remember that they cant always tell us...

Good luck Stormy.
: )

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you are saying that she shares a fence line with a donkey that is intact? LOL If so she could be carrying a little mule and the breeding dates could be any old time.
But you know what, my mares jiggling, fat belly-that twitches, and I swear I saw movement-has gotten much smaller with a change in diet. I was no longer able to get the cheap grass hay I was buying and now have this high powered stuff and had to cut her down. The belly is fast disappearing. Probably be faster if I was riding more.If I ever get rid of this nasty summer bug I caught I would. And she didn't show the crested neck, or round butt of your mare. I guess I shoulda believed the vet.

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had experience breeding for mules and I can tell you that most mares will not show to a donkey. In our situation the mares had to be teased with a stallion and then the jack was brought in to breed.
There is a reason you do not see mules in the wild were horses and donkeys share the same range. :-)

Karen Whitaker
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone,

Well, I found out this week that Layla is definitely NOT pregnant. While I've been going back & forth thinking first yes, then no, what really got me wondering was that another mare that was bred to the same stud AFTER Layla, had her foal two weeks ago.

The problem with this whole situation from the beginning was that I never got a definite answer from the vet I was using. I got another vet out to palpate, and this time there was absolutely no doubt that she's "open". I asked about the "milk" she has, & this vet said it's really not all that unusual during the summer when they're on pasture.

So, end of story here. I don't plan on re-breeding her, because there are plenty of horses out there that need good homes. When the time is right, I'll go shopping. It's been a pretty disappointing experience, but on the big plus side, I still have my wonderful mare, and I can start riding again because her leg is just about healed. I've enjoyed reading about everyone else's experiences & it was just so easy to get caught up in the excitement of it all. Good luck to everyone who is expecting - Enjoy your babies!!

Karen

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry to hear that Karen, I know you were so looking forward to a foal (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) but your right there is a silver lining, you can ride her and get her into condition, the vet is right on lush pasture they can lactate, seen it happen many times and also had a few false pregnancies after a fetus was absorbed past 60 days gestation so it can/does happen. good luck next year and hang in there. Missy, I do not think your mare is in foal, but look at it this way you have more time to work with her and get her in shape and your self a little better off financially to handle a foal when it does come, remember you did not breed your mare, it was an accidental breeding, thank your lucky stars that she did not take and look forward to the future where you can breed her to the stud of YOUR CHOOSING! (((((((((((HUGS)))))))). with respect and caring....sincerely Jan H

Karen Whitaker
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, Thanks so much for your kind words. The sting of disappointment is fading as we (me and my two kids) are enjoying riding again. With the renewed interest my teenagers are showing, we may be in the market sooner than expected!!

Thanks again,
Karen

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, you're a sweetheart! Thank you! Respect and caring right back at ya!!!!

Karen, Sounds like there is quite a silver lining. Glad to hear the kids are picking back up the riding too. Good luck with the market! Hopefully you will find the horses of your dreams....keep in touch with me.

Ruth
Nursing Foal
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a gelded jack donkey, and there is nooo way any of my mares will even consider showing for him, no matter how studly he thinks he is. Even the mares that will show for a gelding horse have zero interest in making mules.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US