SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How tall is your baby?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » How tall is your baby? « Previous Next »

Elena Vieira
Breeding Stock
Username: Opheliaimmorttal

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! I was just wondering how tall everyones babies are! Riley is about a month and a half and he's almost 11 hands I think. I might have meaured wrong. He's either 10 or 11 and was born a little over 8. Does that seem right? He's half sport pony (dad's actually 15 hands) and a quarter arab and QH. His mom is 14.2. Thanks
Elena

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My QH colt is 4 months old now. He was 42 inches at birth. He is now 13.2 hands.
His dam is 16 hands. Sire is 17 hands.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow heather - hes a biggy!! I havent measured mine yet. She is nearly three weeks - I will have to get the tape out later : )

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW HEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you are tall!!!!! or have a good step stool!

Jericho is 7 1/2 weeks old now...he is 43 inches tall at wither, and 46 inches tall at hip. (so 10.3 and 11.1) he was born at i think about 35-36 inches. he was so worth the wait!!!!!!!
Elena- yours sounds about right...since he is similiar breeding to mine...Jerichos mom is a registered arab (15 hands) and dad is a QH (15.3hands).heres jericho yesterday...[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_7980.jpg[/IMG] and pictured with moms rump in rear (chestnut) [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_7952.jpg[/IMG]
my yearling from same 15.3 hand Qh stud and a 15 hand qh mare is 14.2 (58 inches) tall at the wither and 61 at the hip. she is a beast! but nothing like Buddy at 4 months! WOW!!!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow kris he is lovely isnt he!! Hes got alot bigger... and straighter - you must be sooo pleased with him : )

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you kim! yes he is a lot straighter, thanks to a product called "rejuvenaide" by progressive nutrition.
he still looks a bit over, but i hope that will correct in time! we love him. he is the sweetest ever! but very mouthy...likes to nip, catches you off guard and gets skin...OUCH!!!
loves people! cant go out to the pasture without him and the yearling swarming you!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris,

His legs are looking great! I can really see the improvement. I can't believe how much he has grown!

Jan

Hannah MacDonald
Nursing Foal
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My little chap is around 11 hands at just over 4 weeks old, need to measure him properly but definately all arse at the moment and not too much shoulder although he does seem to have leveled up a bit recently - will pop some piccies up soon!!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I measured Catcher today. She was born 4-1-06 and was 36" at the wither then. Now she is 46 (11.5 hands) at the wither and 48 (12 hands) at the rump. They grow so fast!!

Pattie Jo Anderson
Neonate
Username: Pattiejo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been reading this forum for quite some time now, but I had to register just so I could post my colt's height. He was 43" at birth - he's a Clydesdale.

I don't see any mini foal heights - someone has to be out there with a mini horse foal.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,
Well, Buddy is a big'un...but he doesn't know it :-). He's the sweetest foal I've ever had. This evening, I was brushing him in the stall and he decided he was tired....so layed down.
There we were...him sprawled out with his head in my lap. It was a sight, and darn near brings me to tears. I just sit there with him, head in my lap, run my hand over his face & neck...he whinnies in his sleep.

For the record...I'm a whopping 5 foot tall. My feet reach the ground just fine :-). So yes, I have this big colt, who's going to grow into a strapping horse. I'll need a crane to get on him. That's ok, 'cause I'm stuck on him...you'll have to pry my dead, cold hands off him to get him away from me. I luv him to pieces.

Kris,
Jericho looks great. Gosh what a handsome boy he is! I'm so pleased to see such progress with his legs. I've heard good things about the progressive. What a great cross! I KNEW that mare would have a great foal.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 790
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Heather and Jan for your compliments on Jericho. I have to announce that he is pretty intelligent as well as cute, we have worked on leading and all the good stuff to go with it, well yesterday he went on his first ride...well HE wasnt ridden, but he came along...first I did as a test, then my 13 yr old daughter rode Tsaharah bareback and we taught Jericho to pony along...so he picked up on it so well that within 5 minutes there they were riding off down the gravel road...ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!! he even got to see 3 vehicles come by, obviously we stayed a safe distance from the road but close enough that he would watch them the first 2 cars, the last one we just stood on the edge, he stood between mom and me, i was by the car...he did great, Im so proud of him. and then he got to go back into hte pasture with everyone else and mom rode alone for a few minutes...just trying to teach him it is ok to be away from mom. anyway it was awesome! I think he will be a keeper...besides he just melts me with his little face and huge eyes!!!
do you think he looks more arab or QH???

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris,

I think he has a beautiful refined head that you can see the arab and that nice full quarter butt! I love the quarter/arab crosses. Good for you on your first outing. That was the best thing for my foal 3 years ago. He went everywhere
being ponyed for the first 2 years of his life. Best "natural" training. Besides the great excercise. I am sure your daughter is in 7th heaven! Jan

Dawn Garbett
Nursing Foal
Username: Stlfarm

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My filly is nine and a half weeks and is 13.2 at the withers. She is a little higher right now at the hip. She is by a 16.3 quarter horse stallion out of a 15.3 mare.

Karen
Neonate
Username: Kcinnm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pattie Jo,

Mini colt born here 4-4. Measured in at 17.75 inches on day 3. At 2 months he is a whopping 22 inches.
We gave him a kids big plastic ball to play with when he was about a week old....he would get high centerd and fall over...LOL

Karen

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi - Just thought I would add to the topic, I finally measured Rio and she is 10.1hh at three weeks exactly... I couldnt beleive when I read buddy was almost that size when he was born heather - my eyes nearly popped out...Poor grace : )

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim W.
:-) that was the same sentiment I had when he hit the ground. There I was applying traction to these HUGE foal hooves....leg just kept coming (??where's the HEAD???). After about 3 foot of leg or so, there was the nose :-) . One push....and whoosh....a BIG black foal in my lap!
?where the H*ll did she put him???
take a peek:
before buddy:[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/P1150002.jpg[/IMG]

after:[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/P1010023.jpg[/IMG]

All I can say is "ouch".....whatta mare :-)

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well hi there everyone love the foals and man are they all getting big, My filly is also growing I have not put a stick to her lately but I feel confident that she is at least 12 hands or more, I will put the stick to her tomorrow, just thought I would post her most recent pictures. So glad RIO has straightened out, he is gorgeous!
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/d6d1b32f.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/69684880.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/ab781094.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/c99aef06.jpg

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan,
She's absolutely beautiful. So striking.....

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Heather. I put the stick to her and she measures 12.1 hands high at 8 weeks old. So I do believe she will more than likely be her sires height of 16.1 hands or 16 hands at the least, her dam is 15.3 the foals canon bone is a full 3/4 inch longer than her dams canon bone. She is very nicely built foal and she floats on those feet of hers, I think she is going to be a very nice mover. (proud mom speaking) :-) Heather I just love your little colt (big actually). he has very long legs! They are both gorgeous!

(Message edited by Jan_H. on June 11, 2006)

Hannah MacDonald
Weanling
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All

I seem to have a big boy on my hands too - measuring 12h at almost 6 weeks old

http://www.hellpass.co.uk/Huey/IMG_1040.JPG

http://www.hellpass.co.uk/Huey/IMG_1043_small.JPG

Elena Vieira
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan! She so pretty and how do you keep her so clean!! I can not keep Riley clean for anything and even if I brush him he wont become clean. I guess I am going to teach him how to stand still for a bath! (he's a super light Palomino) everyone has beautiful babies! i LOVE SEEING HOW MUCH THEY'VE GROWN!!

Elena Vieira
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/Opheliaimmorttal/?action=view&current=DSC N0741.jpg

theres the most recent picture of Riley. He is so dirty but ohwell he's so cute and he's very graceful and prancy. A few minutes after this picture he was sleeping by the horse trailer. He is almost 11 hands I think. He'll be 2 months on the 16th he is the greatest little colt and will even leave his mom to follow me around the pasture. He doesn't really bite, he doesn't jump on people and doesn't really act like a boy he's really well behaved. I use CLinton Anderson training on him and I just love him! I love having a baby out in the pasture!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are all great. Jan your girl is sooo adorable : )

And hannah - yours is huge!! He looks so tall and leggy.... You had better be nice to heather and she might let you borrow her step ladder ; ) I think her and Lori/Raven are already sharing!!

Peggie M
Yearling
Username: Peggie_m

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston just turned 10 weeks on Friday and I think he's going to be "big one". I measured him on his "birthday" and he is 12.3 and 304 lbs. Will be loading new pics soon....

Elena Vieira
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I measured Riley today and he is 47 inches (11.75 or 11.3 hands) or so?

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so many beautiful big babies, I just love every one of them, Riley is looking like the beautiful boy that he is! Elena he does not look dirty to me, but remember he is a boy and boys like the dirt. As for my filly always looking clean umm I hate to say it but I take pictures of the cleanest sides giggle....but she does love the hose and I hose her every chance I get. :-)

Peggy looking forward to seein a picture of Boston he sounds huge, how tall are his parents?

Thanks kim on the complement of my girl I think so too, but then again I love all of the babies...they do not come ugly as far as I am concerned. And you and everyone else here have so drop dead gorgeous foals to call your own!

Hannah nice colt you got there and built! WOW!

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 11 day old Appy colt is 43 inches... 10.3hh.
My miniature colt was born on 4/25 and was 19 1/2 inches.
I also have a 2 month old Appy colt that I haven't measured yet. I know he's a bulky little bugger though :-)

Peggie M
Yearling
Username: Peggie_m

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan H: Boston's parents are both 16.3. I'll get those pictures loaded really soon

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, looking forward to seeing them Peggy. Hey Sandy got some pictures of your foals?

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan H and everyone...
Heres my Jericho at 2 months and 2 days old...hes really growing fast the last week...cant hardly believe it, he doesnt even have a baby look any more, he looks like a little horse! Tsaharah is fat and happy on no hay or grain,just pasture and gaining weight!
as of now no babies for me next year, so i will keep tabs on all of your waiting!
Jerichos legs are looking great! little to no bend now...i am so pleased, because now he is next to perfect!!! :-) (bragging "mom" i guess)
I havent measured, but just by guessing he is probably over 44 inces now,which doesnt seem to big compared to an all QH, but for a 1/2 arab i think hes dong pretty good, his body has lengthened so much!
He has a well baby vet visit on july 3rd for all his shots and his legs to be checked out.
anyway heres a couple pics...
this is Jericho and his big yearling sister Precious, she is 14.2 hands at 15 months.
[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_8168.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_8184.jpg[/IMG]
and here he is looking adorable!

Hannah Mills
Nursing Foal
Username: Hkvmills

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone,

My little boy is going to be 5 weeks old on Sunday, i have just been to measure him and he currently stands at 42inches (or 10.2hands) Is that big/small/average? Both mum and dad are 16.1hh, so i was hoping for around that, however some friends have told me he will only make around 15.2, is that correct. Have a look at him for yourself....................
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/hkvmills/foal033.jpg
This was taken at nearly 4 weeks. Would appreciate your comments?!?
Thank you

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah,
I have seen huge foals grow up to be small horses, and small foals grow to be 17 handers...so don't fret too much on your fellow.
He is a striking young colt! There is one way to get some relative idea of how big he will be, but he needs to be close to 6 months old.
This has been confirmed by many of the breeders in my area....and I've checked my boy as well since he's almost 6 months.
When he's around 5 months or so, you can measure like this:
Measure the length from mid-knee to the coronary band. Go straight down...use a string and set it in the middle of his knee (use the side of the leg, not front....) and take it down to the coronary band...no bend, just straight. Measure with a ruler and see how many inches.
However long this is (say 15 inches), will be the relative expected heighth of the horse at maturity.

Ruth
Neonate
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My filly was last measured at 1 month and she was 12.2hh. She's 3 months now, not sure how much bigger she is.
At 24 hours old she was as tall as a Clyde foal my vet had been out to see, and heavier on the weight tape, although not as long.

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris he is gorgeous! Such a handsome man Jericho is! I think he is going to be a nice height.

Ruth would like to see your filly in a picture wow 12.2 at only a month old? unreal, what is her breeding how tall is the sire and dam? I bet she is nearly 14 hands by now.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 817
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jan! I am guessing he should be around 15+, mom is 15, dad is 15.3. I hope for a 15-15.1. I think his wild man picture is funny, it makes me think of him grown up, if he stays looking good comformationally like that i'd almost think of keeping him intact, my neighbor has already asked, wnats me to breed her filly in 2 years...hmm illhave to think about that!

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris,
He has the build, next thing to watch is his temperment, some studs can be a handfull once the testosterone kicks in, but I do like him and if he is as nice in his actions as he seems in his physical assesment I can see him as a stud horse how is his pedigree?

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 819
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

his pedigree is good on both ends! he is out of an AQHA zan parr bar grandson and has 95%foundation lines on sires side(hancock, badger george), atheletic cow and performance horses, his dams side is also as nice, but from a halter pleasure side(you know arabs that is what they are most know for). His grand sire was Medallion stallion for many years at the fall festival here in MN and was shown across the country (Sanbara Tsalli, out of Tsalibration)VERY quiet and friendly man, he was gelded a year or two ago at age 24 or 27 and was turned over to a kids riding school horse...as sweet as can be!!! my mare was shown halter as a weanling, won 3rd several times at class A shows and then put out to pasture till i got her as a yearling. she is a docile as can be under saddle! (not real psture friendly but is an anyone riding horse, she has been ridden by many first timers, adults and kids).
Jericho seems pretty level headed...much more than my full arab foals! He is real friendly and fairly well mannered for a 3 1/2 month old colt. My concern is he already knows he is a man! He likes to nip and mount my yearling, dropped and everything! hes a bit too short though. ( He has had both testicles dropped since birth.) he is a very mouthy boy, gets nippy once and a while with me, but from what i have read that is fairly normal at this age...we get after him real quick when he does!
but he stands tied, trims, but doesnt like water...were working on that!
thanks jan for the comfirmation on my thoughts...i thought he was very well put together...but i thought i may be just partial...
good to know someone else agrees.
Do you agree witht he thoguht that at 4 months old is a close assesment to adult comfirmation?

Ruth
Nursing Foal
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, the kicker is her dam is only 15.2! She has these enormous babies, and with the difficulty she had delivering this one (I did not think the foal would be coming out alive) we have made the decision not to breed her again. Her yearling is already 15.2 at least.
The foal's sire is Art Deco, and the mare is out of a CSH mare by Roar of the Crowd, but her sire is unknown - the breeder's neighbour's palomino. I'm not sure how big the filly is now, but she sure towers over our donkey!

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well for those of you who would like to know I measured up Chu kash last night on his pastern bone to the coronet band and he measures up to 16 1/4 inches. Which if I am correct in saying that Chu kash should top off to a nice heigth of 16.1h when matured. He is now 7 months old. Yep he has legs!!
How tall are the rest of your foals coming alone?????

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Nursing Foal
Username: 20hannah10

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats great about Chu Kash!! can you explain to me how you did that i would love to estimate how tall she will be. She is only 3 months now, is it too early to measur her leg yet? I havnt measured her lately I will and post it. but she is really filled out and all muscle...the perfect barrel racer !!YAY!!

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah, if you scroll up some and find a post from Heather she does explain how to measure the leg and at what age is best for it. But for fun you probably would be able to measure along the way and see if there is any change in the growth. If I am not mistaken then at a year old will be the final measurment of the leg. Correct me if I am wrong. You would appreciate Chu Kash's pedigree he has all Cash N Balance lines. Both parents were barrel racers. Good luck with your filly!

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well I measured that way too and Checota should mature out at 16.2 she is 16.3/4 inches from mid knee to coronary band I am going to need a five step, step ladder to mount her. gee whiz.
They are growing like weeds. Lori if we ever breed Chu Kash to Checota, We will have no problem with any height differences they sound like they are going to mature the same height. :-)

Checota is 6 months old now.

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Nursing Foal

Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raven, that is amazing! do you plan on barrel racing him? I love it! I have trained two of our foals born on the farm and they have turned out the best, they are soo willing to please. This filly will be my first quarter horse so I am very excited she defenitly has speed but it might take her a while to figure out she can be speedy with us on her back, she so gentle. Good luck with all the foals

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, do you think we would end up with some tall foals from that mix? :-) Better start putting some money aside for that step ladder. (giggle) I have a two year old in the barn for training and Chu kash is just about the same size. Your godson is doing very well!

Hannah, no barrel racing for Chu kash he will be shown in halter till he is able to ride than he will be trained for HUS. What other types of horses do you have on your farm besides qh?

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonderful to hear that my Godson is doing well, of course they will be tall Checota is Dash For Cash lines on his dams side and Jack straw on her sires side, since Checotas dam is an appendex 1/2 QH 1/2 TB the height genes are there! Dam is 15.3 Sire is 16.1

I just love AQ and I love appendex horses. best of both worlds the endurance of the TB and the speed of the QH and manuverability of both. But each breed breeds so many wonderful qualities so I have to say I know very few horses I do not like. :-)

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a nice description of all my horse types out then it deleted!!!
**My current barrel racer is an all black TWH at first I was doubted but she really loves it she has great speed but most of all she so sure footed and can dig into the dirt and turn with all her might. She was born in our back yard and trained in our back yard i like to say...people ask me all the time where i got her.
**Sky is an overo QH shes trained in western pleasure but she's the mare that just had the baby so we havnt shown her yet. she has the most willing personality.
**Roxy is the filly she is 3 1/2 months (im going to measure her today) shes a sweethart she still like to lay down and have me rub her belly. I can't wait to start training her she soo muscular.
^^Thoose three are mine^^
**my mom has a 17.2 tri colored spotted saddle horse, we kick our selves everyday for gelding him. hes the type of horse that LOVES people and he was beat in a small stall when he was little and it crushed his spirit after we gelded him he is the biggest baby.
** My step dads horse is also a spotted saddle horse, he wants me to train him to barrel race but his legs are very small still so i'm going to watch and see how he developes.

those are our babys we have some mares and board a couple other but we like having our own foals born on the farm and training them our selves. They have the best personality.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah, You have quite the selection of horses there. :-) I have never heard of a TWH that is a barrel racer. That must be something to see. Did not think they had enough speed. But I guess you have proven them wrong. You go girl!!

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a horse is the modle of what you train it to be, I bet a hundred years ago when all the quarter horse did was plow the land and race the quarter mile. There owners NEVER thought they would do that super slow almost fall like lope it is truely amazing what we can train them to do. and why we train them to do such unnatural things lol. What horse actually wants to go run around three barrels? none untill u train them too after that, they wake up thinking about it.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 452
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah, GOOD PHILOSOPHY!!!!

Hannah Mills
Yearling
Username: Hkvmills

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, i have just measured Griffin, and he is now 13hh at 4 months. Does that make him small, medium or large, im hoping he will end up being about 16hh-16.2hh. I measured his leg (i know its a bit early) and it read nearly 17inches from mid knee to coronary band!! Surely i must have measured wrong, that will make him HUGE!!

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 438
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah Mills I think he will mature at 16.1 or 16.2 how tall are the parents? guessing between the two will give you a pretty close estimate to how tall he will mature. he is a sweet looking boy you got there.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US