SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Can I ride a pregnant mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Can I ride a pregnant mare? « Previous Next »

Jenna Hill
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently purchased a 6 year old TB mare off the track. I plan on breeding her to a Friesian stallion this Spring. She's a real sweety and a joy to ride. Can I ride her after she's bred? If so, how far along into her pregnancy can she be ridden and how long after she foals?

Jos
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as you do not over-exert her, you will have no problems continuing to ride her during pregnancy, in fact it will probably be good for her as a fit mare often has an easier time foaling. "Over-exertion" has to be pretty dramatic - something on the lines of her being completely unfit and taking her for a really long gallop etc. Regular use should pose no problems. You should be able to safely ride her throughout the vast majority of her pregnancy, up until the last month or even few weeks. Listen to her though, she'll let you know if she's had enough!

After she foals you will of course have to contend with the "separation factor". Some mares have little concern about being separated from their foals for riding, but the vast majority resent it dramatically! This of course means that either you have to take the foal with you, or not ride. If you have access to an enclosed riding area you may be able to ride mom while junior runs loose, although that can be a little tricky at times! Once the foal is two months old or so, you can try taking the mare out for short periods and leaving the foal, but make sure there's nothing is can hurt itself on in the stall, and have someone there to watch it. If you have another foal around for company, you can put them in together (as long as they get on OK!). A really good system is to have 3 box stalls in a row, with the mares in the stalls at either end and the walls between the 3 stalls only being half-walls, with the lower half missing so the foals can get under but the mares can't. This way the foals can "meet" in the center stall, and often don't care if one of the mares isn't home. You must of course make sure that both the mares are OK with having a visiting foal, as the foals will go into the other mare's stall, and you don't want her being really nasty to the foal that's not hers.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2001 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much for the idea about the stalls. It will come in so handy this year at our barn. My daughter will be riding her TB throughout her pregnancy. They even jumps the "low ones" Her horse enjoys their time out and about together.

Anonymous (209.47.57.149)
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there, my mare was breed in may/june, and I was wanting to show her this fall/winter just in hack classes and stuff, not in jumping, to get her used to showing so that after the foal is weened we can show. Would this be okay to do or would it be a bad idea now that she is in foal?so if anyone has any input on this it is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Kelly (63.172.47.195)
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, as long as she is in good shape and health, go ahead. Some mares are much calmer after conceiving, and do very well in the show arena. I know of many mares that have continued their show career up to 30 days from foaling.

It all depends on the mare, you will know when she is just too uncomfortable or heavy in foal. Use your good judgment and enjoy your mare. Exercise is good for the pregnant mare.

Now is not the time to introduce any new physical stress, but do continue her daily routine.

Anonymous (209.167.110.173)
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi thanks for your help! She is fairly young pony and I was just starting troting poles and small jumps with her a while back but haven't worked with her for a while because she was away being bred and just yesterday was moved to a new stable. Should I continue with the troting poles and such, or just stick to her grownd work?Thanks!

Kelly (63.172.47.199)
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on how fit she is. I would want to make sure that she is fit and ready for the extra exercise.

You can consider her safely in foal at 90 days. I would continue the flat work for 30 days and slowly increase the work load. I try to avoid any stress or long trailer rides before the mare is 25-30 days along. It is at this time that the conceptus implants itself along the uterine wall. At 30 days, you can detect the heartbeat!

If she has not been ridden for a while, you might consider waiting until she is at least 30 days in foal, before starting anything new. Have fun and enjoy your pony.

Alix (131.107.3.75)
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, I have a million questions and this is one of the big ones. My Lipizzan mare has been confirmed as being in foal!!! That puts her at 83 days along. Now she has been on pasture rest for the last 7 weeks and for another 5 weeks due to a bad farrier and wrong angles. That is a long story that I do not really want to get into now. Anyway, now in 5 more weeks the vet says she should be 100% sound for riding.

Here is my problem. This is a maiden pregnancy for this 7 year old mare and she is barly green broke. She had been ridden by me about a dozen times this year, three times when she was very early in her pregnancy. Now that I know she is in foal, I am leary about what the stress of being trained under saddle will have on her. Her attitude is so much easier to work with since she was bred and I think that this will help with her trainng, but I am worried.

The vet thinks it is a great idea to be riding her as much as possible. I think his exact words were "The extra weight of the foal will slow her down." Or something like that.

Thoughts?? If I take things slow and calmly, can I really train her to saddle and maybe cart while she is pregnant?

Kelly (63.172.47.218)
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it amazing how much their attitude can change? Enjoy it!

I think that you have a very good handle on what to expect. Take it slowly, and don't push. Stay away from extreme situations and use common sense. As she grows heavier with foal, she will slow down and may feel a bit sluggish. Take it easy and don't expect miracles, even with a calmer attitude, training takes time and patience!

Anonymous (209.167.110.243)
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there I have a 4 and a half year old 13.2 pony mare. She was breed in june apprx. and the and the owner of the barn that I am keeping my pony at says that we have to stop working with her next month. But that would only make her 4 months pregnant. Why would we have to stop so soon? Is she wrong? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Kelly (63.172.47.212)
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there were a history of abortion, or any medical reason that this mare is more susceptable to losing a pregnancy I may agree.

If not, there is no reason that with continued observation and common sense, she may not be ridden. She will show you when she has had enough! The closer to foaling that they come, the slower and more uncomfortable they become. I know of horses that have been successfully shown up to the last 30 days of pregnancy. Keeping her fit during pregnancy is a good thing, just use your own good judgement.

Anonymous (209.47.57.159)
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2001 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI I know my mare is healthy, and has ALWAYS been healthy. And very enregetic. I think I should be riding her but I just don't know what I would say to the owners of the farm. They have many horses in foal and I do not want them to get angry at me for riding my pony when they said I shouldn't . But they have yet to give me a good reason why I shouldn't. and I have heard from many people it is a good thing to ride her. And she is young and I wouldn't wabt her to be totally crazy after the foal is weaned.(wich is when they siad I Should start ride her agian)
I also have another question. My mare is good, but she yends to have bad habbitts sometimes while riding, suck as pulling and going the ooposite direction when I amridng her in an opeb space. But she is absoloutley fine in a ring. Should I just ride her the ring??? or should I do what the owners of the farm have sggested and just leave her? And if I do is there anything I can do to keep her used to people and obeying me? sorry I have so00o0o namy questions any help is great!

Stephanie Campbell (130.113.192.86)
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So many knowledgeable people have given their opinon here in favour of you riding your mare. Ask your barn what reasons they have for objecting. Your mare has to deal with the new balance of baby, so keeping her doing flatwork, slowly and on good footing might be best.

Anne (162.39.155.144)
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. I have a mare that I just bred (A.I) on 4/21/02. I won't know until the Day 16 ultrasound if she has conceived or not. Do I need to wait to ride her until I know if she is pregnant? And if she is, do I need to wait until Day 30 to resume riding? She is quite fit - I have been doing novice level eventing with her and fortunately was able to ride throughout the winter. Thanks for the information.

Alexandra (66.203.184.117)
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bred my mare at the end of June last year and rode her regularly all the way along through pregnancy.
She stayed in excellent shape, and even after I decided it was time to stop riding, she continued to run around like an idiot during arena time.
In fact, when she was 5months preg we were out fox hunting and it didn't seem to bother one bit.
She has always been very fit, and I was pleased with how the actual foaling went, in fact she had no signs before hand and can easily keep up with the foals activity level.
I started back light riding this past weekend, 2 weeks after foaling, and so far it's going suprisingly well. The foal tags along beside in the arena and everyone is happy.
In another few weeks I'll be taking the mare out on her own and leave the foal in the stall, she will be completely alone but so far she hasn't minded much when mom leaves to get groomed in the cross ties etc.
This is a maiden mare who is extremely herd bound but suprisingly enough, she is perfectly content with the foal. Re-breeding is not in the plans.
Good luck!

fgroom
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rode my mare until she was 6 months (although I did have to buy an extra wide saddle) , I stopped riding her because it was to uncomfy for me plus it would have menat buying another saddle.

Curlymare owner
Posted From: 161.184.204.86
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Curly mare who was bred around the middle of august, and the man I bought her from said I can jump her until february, and ride her almost up until she has the foal. I plan to be riding her all through the winter.

Paradise7
Posted From: 24.62.238.52
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about free lungling a mare who had a very hard time getting pregnant and is now about 1 month along. Could this cause any damage to her?

Celia
Posted From: 151.213.157.235
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that it isn't good to jump a pregnant mare. My mare is 4 1/2 pregnant and I ride her about everyday. We usually jump 4 feet jumps, but since she has been bred, I haven't jumped her at all. Of course, now that she is bred, I don't think it would be a good idea to start her on some high fences! I was wondering if I could still jump her on low courses without getting her exhausted, etc. Maybe 2 feet...???

Celia
Posted From: 151.213.153.49
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does no1 know?

Elizabeth
Posted From: 152.163.252.65
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 5 months pregnant I would not jump her the heavier she grows the more strain it will put on her legs and the abdomenal muscles tha support the pregnancy.

Jumping wil not hurt the foal.
So the best judge is how much wght has she gained.

My mare did not start to show she was pregnant and did not gain a huge amount of wght til late in her seventh month .

By her 9th months she was noticable much slower and less confortable ..

If she has not been jumped in a long time I would not start now.. she will need some conditioning before you start her back to jumping

congrads on you mares pregnancy

mary baisa
Neonate
Username: Liz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a mare who has given birth to a foal that was stillborn or died shortly after birth. when can i start ridding her again. short trail rides.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 985
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Immediately assuming all other health factors are OK.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it might be good for her mind as well. If she is feeling the loss of the foal it may distract her and do her well. Be cautious though,depending on the dispositon of the mare, as if she is feeling the loss of the foal she may have some attitude(rightfully so)to deal with. She may not want to leave the barn feeling like she is leaving baby behind. Just being a worried mom

Good luck

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US