SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is she or isn't she?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Is she or isn't she? « Previous Next »

Marci Nadler
Neonate
Username: Shadowsfire

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the other day I had a dream that my mare had foaled a filly. it was strong enough to make me get out of my warm bad and go check on her.She was fine.
But in the morning I noticed that she looks quite fat, in fact umm she looks as fat as she did when she was pregnant. So I took a picture and yes she is every bit aas big as she was when she was 10 months along back in 98 with her one and only foal. I did have her boarded out where they had a couple of stallions, and in fact the stallion closest to her died due to a kick from a mare-but I was told it was a different mare. But the timing seems right on with as far along as she looks. I really didn't want her bred and they knew it. So now I wonder.
Here she is a couple of days ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow.jpg
and then back in 98 when she was 10 months along.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/shadow10mopreg.jpg
and a back view of her now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow-pregbelly-maybe.jpg
Plus I think I noticed her belly doing some jumping around yesterday. sigh. I e-mailed the owners of the stallions and haven't heard back to hear if its even possible that she was exposed. You know I remember quite a few remarks that she looked pregnant from the stallion owner.
So does she look like I should be worrying to you?

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep!!!! I would think so????
That maybe why the stallion owner has not gotten back to you.

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marci I see a difference in the pictures. I don't think she looks like she is, but to be sure have her palpated. I think you are OK though.

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock
Username: Stormyrood

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a pretty mare! To me, she does look like she very well may be pregnant now. It doesn't look like she got too big in '98. Please keep me informed!
Stormy

sandra dillard
Weanling
Username: Magnolia

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote on pregnant!! Your mare looks a lot like mine. She is beautiful!!! keep us posted.

Shelley Graham
Weanling
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see pregnant with filly! She looks too similar to the 98 pic at 10 months.....

Chasity Price
Nursing Foal
Username: Chasntom

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay. I am posting this on more than one thread in case someone checks this one and not the one I posted on. THis is the real topic of mine anyway! Here are pics my mare that's got me guessing. Briefing: This is the mare who I thought had lost her baby because she wasn't getting real big in the 8th-9th month like usual. This a real long bodied, high% thoroughbred AQHA mare and she's noramlly very small through her belly except late in foal. She usually starts to get BIG about the 8th-9th month. SHe's had stud colts since I've known her (known her 6 years, owned her 3). SHe showed NOTHING until about 2 weeks ago. I had given up on her. SHe was ultrasounded in foal last at 1.5 months. This is her now....MUCH bigger in the belly than normal....not bagged up tight, but see the photo for what's going on with the udder. SHe usually bags up TIGHT about a month before foaling and going by how many days she normally carries, we're a little overdue....and not bagged up tight, like usual. Opinions?????? Is this mare bred? I'm having the vet out saturday....he can't make it til then. What do you all think???
Udder (sorry it needs to be rotated....just turn your heads for me
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/chasntom/goldiebag4.jpg
notice the white/clear liquid. I can very easily milk that out in a FULL stream and it will bead like in the photo after I milk her. Her bag is not tight at all, but it is not "flimsy" and empty like a normal non-preger mare.
The following are 2 pics of the mare. Do you think the pooch is baby?
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/chasntom/goldie5.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/chasntom/goldie8.jpg

Jan Owen
Yearling
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She looks bred to me. Is her tailhead always that fallen away? Looks like she is shaping up to deliver.Perhaps this will be a filly foal? Healthy Foaling Vibes to you!

Chasity Price
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan! Thanks for your response :-). Her tail head is always somewhat pronounced, but it really seems to be "sticking out" now. This was going to be her last foal and I'd planned to keep it...hoping for a filly to replace mom with :-). But then I thought I'd missed out. I've been getting very anxious since these changes have been coming. SHe's not nearly as big as she normally gets, but she's bigger than she would be without a foal. We'll see I guess!

Marci Nadler
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah she does look like she is expecting. In the last photo the way she is standing makes her look like she might be foundered, or very sore in the front end. If she is lame I think that can have the effect of foals smaller than the normal.
I want to thank everyone for the compliments on my girl. Its a wait and see now. Oh for fun I did the string test, it said same sex as her first-a filly. To tell yoou the truth I'm not sure what to wish for, a foal would be cool but heck I want to get out and ride this summer. So I guess either way is OK.
Cathy, what differences do you see?
I don't see any real bagging yet but if she is in foal it should start soon. Last time she started by May 17 and she foaled June 24th. I took a couple more pictures yesterday evening. One is of her bag so I could see if there was any difference.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow-teatslightened5-15-06.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow-5-15-06.jpg
I tried to poke and prod baby into kicking (if indeed there is one in there) and only felt one little twitter-but boy did I get Shadow ticked off at me. LOL If looks could kill I would be dead.

I lightened the picture of her teats and I'm not sure and will take more photos but I believe she might be making a bag.}

(Message edited by shadowsfire on May 17, 2006)

Linda Santini
Neonate
Username: Linda_s

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stumbled on this board because I had a strange thing happen with my bred mare (or is she?) She is about 330 days according to the previous owner. Yesterday she was standing at the fence - peeing for my gelding! I freaked!! She has some swelling in her udder - but not bagged up at all - she paces the fence line alot - so she stays in shape... what do you guys think? This photo is about 2 weeks ago....http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Lindasant/DSC02137.jpg

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda is she a maiden? I would like to see her udder and a picture of her tail head croup area before making a determination, but from this angle with nothing more to go on she looks open to me. I have seen mares at 7 to 9 months go through hormonal changes that would make one believe they were cycling/in heat. but since you say she is 330 plus days along...and seeing what she looks like in the picture I suspect she is open. Only a palpation or a wait of another month will tell you for sure. Good luck...BTW she is a gorgeous mare!

Linda Santini
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Jan - this is her third foal - I have an appointment with the vet on Friday afternoon - I sure hope she is still bred - Thanks for the compliment I think she is a pretty girl myself - I just bought her bred last September.....so I'm praying she isn't open...

Cathy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda I agree with Jan H. She looks open to me also.
I absolutely love her color! What a pretty mare. Let us know what the vet says. I hope she isn't open for you.

Marci I'm not sure if I can explain the subtle differences. The fullness of the flank and barrel are different. I have seen enough pregnant mares of so many different breeds I can tell you if I think they are or not but it is hard to explain it. :-(

Chasity Price
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marci, this is Chasity, from a few posts above. You mentioned the mare being lame. She was a ranch horse out west for several years before she came to me. SHe's always been a little "stiff" I believe because of that (I feel like it is navicular) But she was used to death...pretty much abused. She's gotten a little bit worse every year, but this year is the worst yet. We had not planned on breeding her anymroe after this year because she'd gotten quite a bit worse during the winter months. SHe's really stiff when she first gets up and after a little bit she moves around pretty good. I guess that's why I'd always thought it was probably navicular. However a friend of mine has a mare that is a lot like her that has bone spurs. So I don't know exactly what it is. At any rate, I've also heard that when these long bodied mares stand stretched out to relieve foot pain, their babies sort of "disappear". SHe's a long bodied mare anyway. Only a few more days until we know for sure. The vet is coming saturday to check her :-). I'd appreciate anyone else who might scroll up a few posts and look at my mare to tell me if they think she is bred or not.
Thanks!

Rousseau
Weanling
Username: Epona5

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote yes for Marci and Chasity, and no for Linda, sadly.

Marci Nadler
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I took another shot of her teats this morning. I can see a difference-they are definatly filling out. Thank God I thought maybe I was going nuts. Still haven't heard from the stallion owner-who is a vet-but maybe they is trying to figure out if its possible too. Here are the photos I put them together in one so its easier to compare, and I think you can figure out it goes from left to right. LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadowteatsfillingup.jpg

Chasity Price
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello. I had my palomino mare checked Saturday and got some WEIRD news. This mare is one that has had to have progesterone and estrogen shots once weekly to carry her through the first 4 months of pregnancy. SHe would conceive, but then once it was time to comein heat, her body was not producing sufficient ammounts of hormone to tell her system she was pregnant, so the fertilized egg would be kicked out. In other words, she'd abort every time it was time to come in heat again. This has been the way of it for the past 3 years. We do pasture breed with one of our stallions and she is big buddies with him so she's been with him for quite some time. Like i said, I had pinned her as "open" way back in January because she wasn't getting big and thought that since she couldn't carry a foal on her own that there wouldn't be any harm in letting her stay with him to keep him company until our breeding season came around to. We took her out of the pasture with him about a month ago. About 2 weeks ago I went out to check on her and she had enough "milk" in her sack that I could easily milk it out. So I pulled her up in case she was indeed bred for 06. THe vet couldn't make it until his past saturday. He checked her to find that she is NOT ready to have a foal.....but that she is 45 days bred. Which means Rowdy covered her and she is carrying it on her own! I'm very thrilled. We went through 4 pregnancies/early abortions before we figuerd out what was up with her 3 years ago. THe shots are expensive and a PAIN to have to give, but once we figured it out, she had two foals for us with that method. SO even though we were kinda hoping she was bred for this year afterall.....the news we got was just as pleasing :-).
I asked my vet how this could happen and I want to share what he said in case any of you ever experience this...you might atleast ASK your vet if this might be the problem. You ALL may know it, but I didn't. My horses used to pasture right next to a clover field. There was a large amount of clover that head spread over into my pasture, but I didn't think anythign of it. Now that she's away from that, she gone WAY past 18 days on her own...and she had never had a problem BEFORE moving to that pasture. He said that sometimes clover can mess with the hormones in that way.....that some horses who eat too much clover can actually have problem carrying a fetus in early pregnancy. So if you have problem and you have a lot of clover, you might want to ask about that!
Thanks for all your opinions on wether she was in foal or not. She IS pregnant....just not for an 06 foal. I'll keep ya posted on the progress of the OTHER 2 mares :-).

Marci Nadler
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard back from the stallion owner and No to their knowledge she was never with a stallion. So that a relief. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with another horse to feed. Not that I wouldn't like to have had another foal out of her..but I really want a gaited horse next time around and don't want to go thru the green horse stage.
So it sounds like you are right Kathy.
Interesting about the clover, I know it can cause them to salivate a lot.

Linda Santini
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grulla mare was open but had a follicle -so I took her to the stallion that afternoon - so next April looking forward to a blue roan or grulla roan baby - only two colors she can have out of this beau. I've attached a photo of her & her fellow.... sure got the short end of the stick on this one - bought the mare bred - had her shipped 1200 miles now no baby - ranch owner does not ship semen - only offered me $300 back.... will not buy another mare bred from that far away - learned an expensive lesson. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Lindasant/DSC02173.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Lindasant/saltyplaybybarn.jpg

sandra dillard
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those are two beautiful horses!!!! You should get some kind of gorgeous baby from them!! good luck...

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda-Yes those are both gorgeous horses!! Where is the stud from?

Chasity Price
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Linda, is your mare a grulla roan? Is the stallion a homozygous roan? If so, wow! There aren't very many of those! For somet ime it was thought that there was no such thing as a homozygous roan. It was thought to be a "lethal cross". They supposedly degenerate within the first 18 days of coneception and you never know the problem....the mare just comes back in heat like she never settled if the embryo carries 2 roan genes. But then recently, there has been a new study that suggest their might be a few out their who somehow managed to remain viable against all the odds :-).
We have 2 grulla mares and a grulla stallion. I love the color! I have a chesnut mare in foal to the grulla that is 354 days right now :-). Hoping for a little grulla filly of the cross to keep :-).

Linda Santini
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Chasity there is such...(he is located in Bonifay, Florida,heavy Hancock breeding) my mare is HZ black no cream - he is HZ black, no cream and out of 300+ foals they are all roans... he has bay, blue, buckskin and dun roans. Genetically that is all they can produce is the two colors - both her prior foals were 3" wide stripe down their backs and heavy dun factor.... this ranch has ALL blue or bay roan mares they breed him to + a few outside mares. I have had three foals from this stallion, one bay roan, one blue roan and one buckskin roan. They are all good minded, easy to train and have excellent conformations. So I am excited - just disappointed I have to wait another 11 months...

Linda Santini
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops sorry Chasity I did not answer your question - she is just a HZ black grullo - the roan will come from him. She has had two stud colts - one dun, the other grullo - her stripe down her back is 3" thick - I just love her lavendar color- I bought her as a 5 year old bred and unbroke - http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Lindasant/shaylaride3.jpg - this is us after 30 days - she looks like a Siamese Cat in the winter. You would be surprised at the people (alabama) who do not know what she is....

Chasity Price
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there is a possibility that you could get a black or grulla (in other words non-roan) baby off the cross if he's not a homozygous roan. What part of alabama are you from? My best friend has a HUGE QH farm in Danville Alabama...about 40 minutes from Decatur. Is that anywhere near you?

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did the mare come from?
How is she Breed?
I ask because she sure resembles some of my dun girls.

Linda Santini
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She came from Kansas she has a brand that is a backwards F with a ^ over the top (Rafter F?) - she is Shiney Sodak, Jimmers Playboy, Hancock, Two Eyed Jack breeding - I am in South Alabama about 5 miles from the Florida line. Yes Chasity If she has plain grulla or black - then the Blue Roan is no longer HZ roan.... since there is not test for it -we'll just have to see but every foal he has sired since he started breeding has been Roan, there have been no solids to date... and he is now 14 years old...

Linda Santini
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chasity - I looked at your website -nice horses - I am curious about the Dunalino colt -looking at his pedigree in order to be dun, one parent must be dun... is the mare a dunalino? Just curious....

Chasity Price
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Linda :-) Thanks for the compliment. I'm kinda partial to my gang :-).
That is cool about that stud. I just missed where you mentioned that he was 100% up til now. Is there a link to the site where he stands? I'd LOVE to see a HZ roan. There are so few of those! Wow!
Yes the dunalino colt's mom is a dunalino as well. It really irritates me that they don't give that color as an option on aqha papers. I think if they are going to accept a horse into the registry, they should recognize it's color! When registering my dunalino filly (peppy lil kenzie) last year, they told me I could either register her as red dun OR palomino....but NEITHER fully labels her. Oh well.
You can see the colts dam at www.circle-s-quarter-horses.com
SHe is on the 3rd or 4th mares page, named King Skips Jellybean. SHe's a nice mare.

Linda Santini
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel your frustration - the buckskin roan out of that blue - I sent photos to AQHA, she is registered buckskin but in the comments it says "Does exhibit roan characteristics" - that was a six month long conversation - and surely do not get me started on smokey creams, or any strange DD foals, champagnes, etc - AQHA is going to have to get onboard with all these funky colors....SO this foal if it is grullo roan - with be registered as grullo with roan characteristics! (never lose site of dun parentage...) They do not recognize dunskins either - which is NOT a buckskin with a dorsal and leg barring - two different sets of genes...

Linda Santini
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chasity - OMG - the mare @ Circle S - Uno's Peppys Smoke (Bailey) was born on my farm I sold her as a yearling!!! How wild is that - I wondered what happened to that mare..... she looks good.....

Chasity Price
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been there too :-). I had a dunskin last year off the grulla stallion and my paly mare. I just registered it as dun. Gosh he was beautiful. He was out of the mare that I found out saturday was not in foal for this year. But she is a month and a half bred to our black Boston Dee Bar son...so I'm crossing my fingers for a bucksking filly :-).
I had intended to keep her foal for this year as I didn't MEAN to sell the dunskin. I priced him for what I thought was "safe" and she bought him. I almost cried :-(. Then she was open this year.....I was bummed out. I just registered it as dun, but what happens when he produces a palomino foal off a red mare? AQHA creates work for themselves by not offering the colors as choices. Because then when the above occurs, they have to ask for photos for verification and all that....when if they KNEW he was dunskin....they'd know he could produce a paly. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. haha
This is my soapbox, in case you can't tell. I HATE IT. One thing that really bugs me is that APHA doesn't separate sabinos and overos. That has resulted in people not knowing the difference. I know a guy who knocked a sabino white foal in the head because he thougth it was a lethal white (homozygous overo)....hs mare was no more sabino than my LEG!!! NEITHER parent was overo. Sabinos and overos are OPPOSITES of each other......so WHY REGISTER THEM AS THE SAME?!?! Now over half of the people don't know the difference....and when that results in a viable foal being put down (not just any foal.....a MAJOR color producer!)....it's serious enough that it needs to be addressed.

Chasity Price
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know bailey :-). That girl that owns her is my best friend. I have foals off almost EVERY stallion of theirs. Check out their stud Joe. He's a sabino cropout producer. She'll be posting pics of his latest foal soon....a bay roan, with 4 white stockings a blaze and blue eyes. Joe produces that a lot. I used to have a blue eyed palomino colt off him like that. Go to my color facts page and go to the sabino info at bottom. You'll see teh paly colt with blue eyes. Joe throws some COOL blue eyed babies bc they never have pink skin around their eyes :-). They are away camping. They'll post photos of the bay roan colt when they get back. Do you live close to Circle S? We come down there a lot. They stood my grulla stallion until 2 weeks ago this season. Several of their mares are in foal to him for next year.

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the two eyed Jack I see, My mares are all a little Two eyed Jack

Linda Santini
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chasity - I am about to list my blue roan mare for sale - she is Hancock and Mr. San Peppy bred - when your friends get back in from camping - if they are interested let me know. She is 4 year old maiden mare - quiet - broke to death....nice mare

Chasity Price
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda- She sounds RIGHT down their alley. I know they are stocked full right now and they have passed on a few nice ones lately, but I also believe taht she'd LOVE to have a blue roan. Do you have an e-mail address where she can get in touch with you if she IS interested? Also, about how far (time wise) do you think you live from her, in case she wants to think about looking at her? If you don't mind, send me an e-mail at d_bar_qh@earthlink.net to give me more info on her to pass on. Mostly her pedigree info and price. Is she listed on allbreed so she can see her 5-gen?

Linda Santini
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I can put her on there in a little while. Our email is santinifarm@alaweb.com - I have put her in Southern Horse Connection that comes out on June 1 - I will also list her on agdirect and equinehits.com.

Tori Nickel
Neonate
Username: Dressage16

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marci,
It sounds like your horse is about ready to foal.
All the signs sound right and everything. In your pictures it shows that your horse is probably about a couple weeks away. I would take another vet to look at her to make sure everything is right. The night that you think she is going to foal I would suggest that you stay out and sleep with her in a stall nearby. But if you want to ask me more questions just go onto my website at: www.freewebs.com/dressage16/
Tori

Marci Nadler
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tori, I am watching her but her bag makes no progress and I don't think she was exposed to a stallion. So i believe I just have a fat mare. But I am watching her for any other signs.
Those are some nice grullas and roans. Good luck.

Marci Nadler
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New photo from the 30th, it shows her slightly streched.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fat-shadow5-30-06.jpg
Have an appointment with the vet to have her checked on the 21st-yeah, its the first time I could get in. Bag got a little plump then flattened back out. but the teats do look like they hang down a little bit more today.
I called my hay man and asked if there could be any fescue in the hay and he said little to none since they planted over it a few years back. He also said it was not nice hay then course and stiff so this stuff is nice and fine with lovely green color and good smell. Whew.

I believe I mat have felt some activity in the area right in front of her stifle, but it wasn't definite kicks, but rolling motions and she has gotten wider from the back instead of lower down. I have started riding her lightly and she isn't sluggish at all nor does she sweat easy like you would think a fat out of shape mare would.
In fact here is the addy to my whole bunch of pictures. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/

Marci Nadler
Weanling

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well last night I saw baby kicks!!!! real true to life not mistakeable for anything else baby kicks. Right in front of her stifle about 4 good jabs. Then the mare made a face and moved. The lighting was perfect to see it too, it was dark and she was white against a dark background with the light shining on her. Wow you could have knocked me over with a feather. }

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marci,
Is it not so wonderful! A true miracle. Bask in the glow! Brings back good memories!

Thanks,
jan

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate
Username: Drutledge

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently bought a Percheron mare who was suppose to have been bred in November. When we got her in Feb, she was big. But now, she looks like a water buffalo. She hangs out in the barn mostly and sometimes her breathing is labored. When she walks towards me her belly sticks out about 8 inches off her shoulders on each side. Without trailering her (not pleasant) does she sound pregnant? What is a sure sign without the cost of a house call? I just want to be sure so I don't start riding her thinking she just needs to shed a few pounds. We are pretty new at the breeding thing. Had a pony that foaled once but she barely even showed and foaled by herself without telling us at all!

Marci Nadler
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know I took my mare in and had her palped. The vet said no-but in the next breath said if she foals tomoorrow don't blame me. So he isn't really sure himself. Sigh so why did I even waste the money? There is a blood test that you can buy on the net...its 23 bucks but you do need to draw blood for it. I've been thinking of doing it myself, but I'm a bit squeemish about drawing blood myself. http://www.foalproof.com/

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally got some good pictures of Maggie Mae for anyone who can tell me if they think she is pregnant. Of course, I'm computer illiterate so I don't know how to get them on here!!! So, I would love for anyone to email me at drutledg@mckinneytexas.org and let me send you some pictures to check out.

cristy bauer
Neonate
Username: Twilight

Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was reading all your comments and would like to see what you all think of my mare. I was posting on the foal watch link but I am really questioning if she is or not pregnant now. My mare is a 7 yr old thouroghbred/mustang cross. She was a maiden mare and we bred her in hand to an appaloosa stud. Last breeding date was July 15, 2005. she checked in foal at 120 days and the vet came in April 20, 2006 to do vaccines and said she "looked" in foal but did not palpate. She has had days where her bag gets a little larger and you can milk her and get a few cc's of fluid sometimes clear sometimes yellowish and sticky. her vulva and tailhead have relaxed but it seems that her pregnancy signs are regressing instead of progressing. what do you all think form the pics? waiting and nail biting.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/twilight124/twilight%20prego/Pic035.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/twilight124/twilight%20prego/Pic037.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/twilight124/twilight%20prego/Pic036.jpg

Cathy
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cristy based on her due date and how she looks I would say she is most likely open. :-(

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cristy, By her looks even as a maiden she sure looks open to me too. She just does not have the fullness you see in a mare who is approuching her due date, she does not have the relaxing of the vulva, do you have an udder shot?

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cristy - do you have a before picture to compare? Has she come into season this year?

cristy bauer
Neonate

Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will try to get you all a before shot and no she has not come into season since being bred last year. Thank you for the input! I was thinking I would have the vet out and have her palpated just to be sure but I may just let her go and see what happens because in the past week her udder has completed reabsorbed and is now close to prebreeding except that her teats are a little bigger and longer. 2 weeks ago she was giving a good amount of yellowish fluid from them but now you can hardly get a drip and it's completely clear. I would guess that by her vet check in april at 9-10 months pregnant she would have had to aborted the fetus and I should have seen some signs of this or maybe she reabsorbed prior to that and her body continued with pregnancy symptoms for awhile! I guess we'll never really know.

cristy bauer
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called the vet to check her just to be positive and he can't make it til monday the 10th so I will let you all know. By the way today both teats are shooting out a steady stram of clear colostrum when milked? I don't know what to think but I'm keeping an eye on her either way.

Marci Nadler
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sure is a lovely mare. Not very big but then those maidens can sure fool you. I put my mare on a diet and she lost everywhere but her belly-well it did go down a bit but not as much as the rest of her started to. So now with an added alfalfa pellets, 2 lbs of grain and grass hay she is back to her plump little self-well except her but isn't as round as before the "diet"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/beggingforstrawberries7-1-06.j pg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatmoves7-1-06.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatmoves27-1-06.jpg

cristy bauer
Neonate

Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Marci! I was hoping I could find some before pregnancy pics to post but I couldn't. My mare used to be thouroghbred type body, lean and tall. She is 16h and now she looks very QH type. But I guess her body could just now be filling out and since we thought she was pregnant we had been feeding her more than what she would be getting. I can't wait for the vet to come so I know for sure...well, I hope I know for sure! After what you went through...how frustrating!! My vet is equine only and handles alot of thoroughbred breeding facilities so I should be able to find out deffinatively one way or another.

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do yourself a favor and get an ultrasound. I bet if my vet had one he would have been able to tell me if she was in foal. Well if he knew what to look for I guess.

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally! I have pictures! Like I said before, I got Maggie Mae in February and was told she was bred in October or November. He wasn't really sure. Could have been the beer fogging his memory. Just curious if anyone thinks she is.{http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/sideviewofmaggie.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/maggiesbutt.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/maggie8.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/maggiefromside.jpg

Emily West
Nursing Foal
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie, I am no expert but she looks pregnant to me. Our maiden mare was smaller then that right before she foaled.

sandra dillard
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie, I'd say Pregnant!!! She looks like she would be closer than that! I don't think she'll make it to Sept.!! Does she have any bag development? My mare's name is Maggie also.. keep us posted!!

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sure looks like it. But then so does my mare.
I think yours is bigger though, quite a big bigger. And it really doesn't look like she will hold out til Sept or Oct. If she does she is going to be as big as a house. Is she bagging up yet?

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She looks preg to me...you will be surprised at how large they can actually get! Kris Moos has a mare that looked like she swallowed a hot air balloon! Fortunately, her little foal looked nothing like a hot air balloon when it was born! Kris, with your permission, I will be glad to post that lovely rear view of your girl at the hay feeder for those that missed it!

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boy! She is bagging! I tried to get pictures but she is not letting me near her belly. I tried feeling her bags and she kicks at my hand and walks away. They are "swollen" looking just forward of her teets. I can't touch the rest. She doesn't like me touching her belly either. But I did finally feel baby moving. It got real active while she was eating. I wish I could be sure how long it will be. I am NOT gonna miss this!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kATHEE- GO AHEAD...I HAVE LOST THAT PIC SO IT WILL BE GOOD TO SEE IT AGAIN!!! :-) POOR GIRL (TSAHARAH) IS LOOKING ABOUT 10 MONTHS ALONG NOW AND SHE IS NOT EVEN BRED!!!! VET CANT BELIEVE SHE IS AS FAT AS SHE IS AND SHE IS STILL NURSING A FOAL AND IS GETTING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BESIDES PASTURE AND MINERALS/SALT FREE CHOICE.
DOTTIE- I TOO AGREE SHE LOOKS TO BE BRED!!! CONGRATS! YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED HOW THEY CHANGE, BY TIME MY MARE FOALED SHE WASNT AS WIDE BUT ALMOST REACHED THE GROUND!!!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie - Kris said okay - so here she is! The pic that cheers me up whenever I need it! I believe she was only about 300 days in this pic. I know she held on to that baby for a while after.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Misc%20Horse%20Pics/Tsaharah.jpg

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That poor horse, how did she make it thru doorways?

Beth Nesbitt
Weanling
Username: Ponygirl

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I checked the dates and that picture was taken on 3/02 and she foaled on 4/16.

Rousseau
Weanling
Username: Epona5

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they sure can get a very different size;
here is my lusitano mare, a few days before her 5th foal in a row :
http://wisup.net/File_1/WIS_FR/2006/Images2/10706/epsaKMbLP1D707200693013699616. jpg

and this is my 17 yo 3/4 TB mare, at about the same stage, she's not a maiden, but she hasn't had a foal for 9 years, hardly showing at all ! :

http://wisup.net/File_1/WIS_FR/2006/Images2/10706/epsaKMbLP1D707200693014412807. jpg

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 809
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare, the one in photo wa that way for a day or two, then her belly dropped, I did not measure her at that width, but after dropping i did and she was about 38 inches wide across the belly!!!! in that picture i would guess she was close to 4 feet wide,..and that is no exageration!!! she foaled a 70 pound colt, so in that picture he must have bee literally laying sideways and stretched out.
Thanks Kathee...i needed to see that!!! that is just too funny!

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they can still move to a sideways position that late in the pregnancy? I thought they were kinda stuck in the one position. Wow no wonder the belly looks so weird at times.
I have taken some new photos of my supposedly not in foal mare.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow7-6-06dinner.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow7-6-06.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow-7-4-06-rearmid.jpg
taken a few days ago
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/beggingforstrawberries7-1-06.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatmoves27-1-06.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatmoves7-1-06.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/shadow7-2-06-huh.jpg
And her teats although not filling out much are different. They hang down so far I can see them as she walks past. And I definitely can get milk out of her, but its the clear, yellowish stuff. If the vet is wrong (and the more I think about it the more I think he was) I think this fall I will probably have a foal.

(Message edited by shadowsfire on July 07, 2006)

Beth Nesbitt
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marci,
When I typed in the picture addresses into my browser they are right, but they don't work as links for some reason. I don't have a clue as to why that would happen, unless you didn't have the activate URLs button checked when you typed your message.

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this work better?
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow7-6-06dinner.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow7-6-06.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatshadow-7-4-06-rearmid.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/shadow7-2-06-huh.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/beggingforstrawberries7-1-06.j pg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatmoves27-1-06.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/shadowsfire/fatmoves7-1-06.jpg[/IMG]

Beth Nesbitt
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marci,
Yes, those links work just fine.

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I measured her around her biggest part of her tummy and came up with 82 inches. Is that big for a 14.2 on tippy toes Arab mare? Wish I had measured her at her normal tummy size, she takes a 29 inch western girth normally.

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my, today I fed her her hay in the morning, usually hubby feeds in the morning. And was standing there admiring her enthusiasm and listening to the sounds of the birds singing. when I noticed her belly jiggling, and it kept on jiggling while she was chewing with no head movement. Do hay belly's jiggle?

Beth Nesbitt
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question.

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock
Username: Stormyrood

Post Number: 431
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 01:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good question Marci! I wish I had the answer for this one! Missy's does this too at a dead standstill, nothing else on her body moving at all. It looks strange doesn't it?

connie c
Nursing Foal
Username: Connie_c

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes hay bellies Can juggle I know mine does!

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night I went out and checked on Maggie and she has 2 hard lumps on the underside of her belly. She also has some yellowish discharge from her vulva. Since I have no idea when she was bred, can anyone give me an estimate? She sure looks miserable and I'm so anxious!

Beth Nesbitt
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie,
How is Maggie doing?

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Beth,
Maggie is just as big as a house and looks miserable. She's been thru quite a few changes since last week. Even my husband has noticed, which is SHOCKING! She has dropped so much and those two little lumps on the underside of her belly are bigger now. Almost looks like 2 little hocks pushing down on her. Is that what they are? I got some clear/cloudy liquid from her udder. Not much before she turned and bit me on the butt ever so gently. She's been a real crab. Her bags aren't big at all, but the nipples are long. Her vulva has changed drastically almost overnight. The skin around it and under it is very loose and saggy and it seems to be a little open. She also has that yellowish discharge. But the really big overnighter was her croup area. She is a pretty large and full bodied Percheron with a big giant ghetto booty that has started sinking since Friday. Like her muscles are disolving. I worry about her because of how big I know this baby will be. It's not her first though. We got her a very large comfy stall ready Saturday night and had 2 fans on her (it's over 100 here), but, she insisted that she was not going to stay in the stall. She beat the wall until we let her out with her friends. Ya think she'll be okay just staying in the pasture? She gets very upset when we lock her up away from them. And she could take the whole barn down with those feet!! I am desperate for one of you experienced breeders to give me an idea of how much longer it will be. What do ya think??

Beth Nesbitt
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie,
She sounds close except for the milk, but that can change fast. Try not to worry too much about the size of the foal. The mother's body controls the birth size of the foal, and once born they can grow really fast. Since the weather is hot being outside should be okay, as long as she has her own space apart from the others. Hang in there and stay in touch.

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was sitting in here on the computer this afternoon reading the boards and looking out the window to where my mare is standing, leg cocked half asleep. I noticed this twitch in her flank-and I watched it for a few minutes and it kept going-all in the same general place. So I'm thinking if I go out there it won't do it. But I thought why not try. So I go out and she turns around and is wanting cookies and put my hand against her side where I saw the twitching. And it twitched, then again, then more than once in a quick staccato bang, bang, bang, again. It was evident they were not twitches but bangs then. OMG those feather light bumps are BABY KICKS! Got to be-I've never know Shadow to have muscle twitches like that all in one spot, and over and over again for a good 5 minutes or more. (Of course mentally I was cheering the little guy on saying kick for all you are worth little one-show me if you are there-and she did!) ;D
Oh and I had sprayed her for flies earlier today but still they weren't fly twitches...you can now knock me over with a feather. I know I have seen movement once or twice but then thought oh I'm seeing things or it was a twitch, or twinge, but this is the first time I have felt it. Usually I go out there and its gone-but not this time. Wow, exciting. Scary. thrilling. Scary. Oh crap. Hope its not the cold meds.

sandra dillard
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! marci! I remember how excited I was when I felt grace kicking! My husband thought I had seen a snake in the pasture I was yelling and jumping up and down...Isn't it amazing!!?? Keep us posted.........

Beth Nesbitt
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marci,
Keep us posted on her progress.

Kerri
Nursing Foal
Username: Kerrit

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie

My maiden mare who had her filly in June changed practically overnight. Her milk was clear/yellowish right up until Sunday night when it got kind of cloudy white. Then monday it was opaque white, tuesday evening she had a bit of wax, and wednesday morning at 8 am she delivered. So keep an eye on her milk and when it gets white don't let her out of your sight! But all the changes can happen so fast!! It's amazing.

(Message edited by Kerrit on July 26, 2006)

Beth Nesbitt
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie,
How is Maggie doing?

Dottie Rutledge
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Maggie has decided that she doesn't want to have this baby. Her bags are full but not totally, her rump looks like I've starved her, her belly is so big and dropped! Looks like it's just gonna touch the ground soon. She does something cute though. She will sit on the ground like a dog and rock back and forth to scratch her belly. Pretty hilarious to see such a big horse sitting on the ground like a dog! I think I'm just gonna give up on the foal watch. It always happens when you stop worrying about it.

Beth Nesbitt
Yearling

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie,
Do you have any new pictures? I would love to see Maggie sitting.

Toni
Weanling
Username: Toni

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could any of you take a look at these pics of two of my mini mares? They both look either obese or pregnant to me, but I have never had a pregnant horse. Willow is three years old, and this would be her first. Sophia is eleven, and this would be her second, but I have never seen her pregnant. We were told she was pregnant when we bought Sophia two years ago, but it turned out to be false. They both look huge to me, what do you think?
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/fivejoiners/horses008.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/fivejoiners/horses009.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/fivejoiners/horses012.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/fivejoiners/3ae8f98b.jpg

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you have them bred? I don't know a lot about minis but the last picture looks like that mare could possibly be pregnant. There is no way to know for sure other than to have them checked by a vet. Then you can know if you need to prepare. Hope that might have helped some. someone eles might post that knows more about mini mares.

Toni
Weanling
Username: Toni

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are out with a two year old stallion. BTW, the colorful one is Willow the three year old, the brown one is Sophia, the eleven year old. Sorry about the poor picture quality on the last one, she wouldn't be still. She has always had a belly, but seems bigger to me. And her bag is getting puffy. But, I sort of wonder if it is possible to be so fat, that the bag looks big? We are putting those two on a bit of a diet. My other two are much slimmer and more muscular looking. Thanks Kassie.

Marci Nadler
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well she could very well be. Mini's usually get HUGE before they foal. And a yearling colt is old enough to get the job done. Hope you are ready for a long foal-watch, minis usually have more trouble than full sized horses. And I would be kinda worried since she is only a 3 year old anyways.

Dottie Rutledge
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I haven't been here for a while. Maggie is still holding out on me. I took some pix this morning. She is not as peppy as she was last week. Bags are big but not totally full and shiny. Her butt has lost all it's muscle. She looks droopy all over! And this morning her girly parts were aweful long and swollen. Kinda open too. And discharge of course. Is that normal? Baby is still kicking so I figured it was okay. I also added the pix of her scratching her belly on the ground for Beth. I don't think she could do that now. She would never make it back up. So, by the looks of her...can anyone tell me how long I have to wait???

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/pics007.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/maggie10.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/Maggie9.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/pics018.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/pics017.jpg

Megan Diehl
Weanling
Username: Megan

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie,
What breed is your mare?
She looks pretty drafty?

Beth Nesbitt
Yearling

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie,
She looks close to me. She has definately got the "V shape" now. I would watch her closely.

Karen Whitaker
Breeding Stock
Username: Karenw

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone,

Well, I found out this week that Layla is definitely NOT pregnant. While I've been going back & forth thinking first yes, then no, what really got me wondering was that another mare that was bred to the same stud AFTER Layla, had her foal two weeks ago.

The problem with this whole situation from the beginning was that I never got a definite answer from the vet I was using. I got another vet out to palpate, and this time there was absolutely no doubt that she's "open". I asked about the "milk" she has, & this vet said it's really not all that unusual during the summer when they're on pasture.

So, end of story here. I don't plan on re-breeding her, because there are plenty of horses out there that need good homes. When the time is right, I'll go shopping. It's been a pretty disappointing experience, but on the big plus side, I still have my wonderful mare, and I can start riding again because her leg is just about healed. I've enjoyed reading about everyone else's experiences & it was just so easy to get caught up in the excitement of it all. Good luck to everyone.

Enjoy your babies!!

Karen

anita kabat
Breeding Stock
Username: Akabat

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a pic of serenity she is due mid september I can hardly wait. [IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/akabat101/Princess006.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/akabat101/Princess026.jpg[/IMG]

Dottie Rutledge
Nursing Foal

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Maggie is a Percheron. Her baby is also. It's almost as if since they are big, they have to cook longer. I feel like she's been pregnant forever! My husband keeps saying that she's not really pregnant... she is just gassy and eats too much.

Megan Diehl
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a Belgian mare that had a foal in March, We were told she was suppose to foal in January! We rescued her and she did seem to cook longer! We find out today if our other two draft mares are bred! Draft babies are so much fun!
My boyfriend told me the same thing that she wasn't bred she was just fat and liked all the attention!

Dottie Rutledge
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We rescued our Clydesdale colt also! He was a PMU baby brought down from Canada. There is a lady in Blue Ridge, Texas that adopts them out. I've never seen so many draft and appaloosa babies in one spot! Most are registered with very nice bloodlines. We just love our drafts. they are so sweet and laid back. I kinda worry about our stud colt though. He just turned 1 in May and has yet to figure out what a mare is. We have 3 mares...2 in heat and one pregnant. He has no interest at all. My husband thinks he's a "stoner" reincarnated. He may not be too far off. I'll attach some pictures of Clyde. It was late winter and he came down from Canada, so he is extremely fuzzy in the pictures. Looked like a raggidy orphan. We were putting up a fence and he thought he'd help out...by getting in the way. Recently, he had his feet clipped for the first time. He was sunbathing, as usual, and decided he wasn't going to cooperate. He wouldn't get up off the ground. The farrier had to sit on him and clip his feet. He looked like he was getting a pedicure in a day spa.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/clydehelpingout2.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/clydehelpingout.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/drutledge5150/clyde7.jpg

Megan Diehl
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a mare from a PMU line for a while, she was super nice. They actually breed their horses really well. I will post pictures of our mare and foal when I can get some new ones!

Jenéa Dickson
Neonate
Username: Zamorah

Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,here are some pictures of my mare 9 months along,she is due mid-october.

Here is the link:

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/Montana2003/

Dottie Rutledge
Weanling

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maggie had her baby! Check out pictures of Goliath on the foal bragging pictures thread!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US