SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Bagging up

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Bagging up « Previous Next »

Alex Abel
Nursing Foal
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be interested in how long before birth everyones mares started bagging up. I am playing a little bit of a guessing game with most of our pregnant mares, since nobody wrote down the heat cycles after giving birth last year and then just stuck them in the pen with the stallion for a few weeks. My next mare due was with the stallion for 4 weeks but the dates given to me dont really match up with some of the other mares.
The mare that just foaled last week was right on. The way I found out was by going through pictures on my boss's computer and I found one of that mare being bred by our stallion on march 16th last year. She had her baby Feb. 8th
But that was just coincidence. All the other mares, I have no clue. I know every mare is different as far as signs are concerned. The next mare due started bagging up 2.5 weeks ago.

ridin high (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 70.156.20.196
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alex it can vary from mare to mare it could be as early as 9/10 weeks before or after foaling. some say an average would be 4 to 6 weeks before. If you know the mares foaling date last year you should know the heat cycles most mares go into foal heat about a week after they foal and then 30 days after and then every 28 days after that if not bred.
Hope this is helpful

Jan H
Weanling
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to concur with Ridin High 4 to 6 weeks give or take a week for most mares, I have had mares bag up 8 weeks ahead of schedule which scared me to death that they were preparing to abort. But then kept in a holding pattern at 1/4 full, then others which did not bag up until a few days before and a couple that bagged up an hour after foaling so as you can see Ridin High is correct it is highly variable.

Elena Vieira
Weanling
Username: Opheliaimmorttal

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it isn't 4-6 weeks! My maiden mare is bagging up and has a little bit of milk right now and she's due in April. I guess that may still be in April...just A little earlier!
Elena

Robin Culbertson
Neonate
Username: Murrini

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, I have learned so much from everyone on these boards, but finally have a few questions that I havn't found answers to. First, my mare is a 20y/o who has been strictly a broodmare with many pregnancies, I just bought her last year. I am concerned about her udder development. The skin is hanging down about 2" but there is no fluid in it. She has swelling infront of her bag which the vet (without looking at it) said was probably fat deposits. They are firm, not edema. Over the last 2 days her udder has become very warm, Is it possible this could be mastitis? She is 338 days. I have no foaling history other than she has never had a problem. She has been off grass hay for 2 weeks & the vet wasn't too concerned with the chance of Fescue toxicity in her hay (I switched her to alfalfa just in case). Any thoughts? (I know some mares just don't bag up, I'm probably just being the worried mama.)
Pics of her udder are here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/e184/murrini/Serina/
(Boy those things are hard to take pics of!)

Also, She has a white salty looking stuff on her teats that won't wipe off. I have only found one refrence to that, someone said when that dissapears they will usually foal within 24 hours. Has anyone heard of that or had any experience with that as an indicator?

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin, Is she bred?
For 338 days she seems a bit small and underdeveloped ? I am not used to arabs is that what she is ? I see you have arabs , x's . Normally from my experiences an experienced mare tends to develop a udder sooner than later as their bodies are used to it, where as a maiden sometimes doesn't develop until closer to foaling or at foaling.
The crystal texture seems to disappear close to foaling from my experience. Can you contact the previous owners and see what their expereince was with her. You could still have another 20 days before foaling and a udder could develop.

Robin Culbertson
Neonate
Username: Murrini

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, she is definatly bred & she is showing many other signs of getting close, her croup is turning soft and squishy, her tail is loosing resistance fast and she has definatly started to drop, there is a HUGE difference from 3 weeks ago, she was carrying high and wide untill then. Her croup and withers are much more evident, she is dropping more every day. The baby is very active and she is quite uncomfortable, she kicks at her belly alot. She is full arab, though she is pretty small herself (14.1 hands maybe). I'm going to try & call the previous owner tomorrow & see if he can clear up anything.

Alex Abel
Weanling
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My arab mare is approx. 340 days along and has just a little bit of an udder. She's only had one foal 2 years ago. Before she started bagging up a little you couldnt even see her teats they were so tiny. All our other mares that have had numerous foals have much bigger udders even when not in foal. She also dosnt look like she is about to have a foal. She rather looks overfed and fat. No softening of the croup, she tucks her tail when I try to feel how much resistance there is. But the baby was sure having a party in there yesterday. She should be due somwhere between the 17-22 feb, so any time now.

Kathee McGuire
Yearling
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my mare's udders at 299 days. Last night, she had no change. She is a maiden and her teats were almost drawn into her. When I touched her udder (or lack of it) last night, she got jumpy and it seemed to be tender. That was the first reaction she has ever shown. This morning was the first time she has even had anything that looked like an udder. I know it's not much, but it is a huge change for her. Any opinions? Is this enough to call a bag or is it just moving in the right direction?
http://photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=Udder2at299days .jpg

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen- IMHO I would say you have a little while to wait. However, I will say we have had maiden mares that just didn't haven any udder to speak of till AFTER the foal was born. Given that she's only 299 days, I wouldn't be loosing any sleep checking on her for at least another 3 weeks.

Kathee McGuire
Yearling

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks - I didn't think she was close becuase she doesn't have any other signs. I just didn't know if it qualified as a "real" bag or not! The vet is scheduled to give her vaccinations in two weeks so I would just as as soon she wait. I'll take even little changes right now!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me, that udder looks a little puffy, what I'd expect to see if they were a month or so off.. just watch for dramatic changes, those can and do happen, but I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

We had a maiden last night that I thought might foal. She's was showing many of the signs and her udder was about 1/2 full. She had very loose stools all afternoon and evening ( cow pies ) and was pushing her behind on the stall door and rubbbing frantically as well as switching her tail, shifting her feet and the foal was moving like a wild thing at times. I checked her this morning, still no baby, but I bet we aren't too far off from seeing that little fella's face!

Elena Vieira
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Everyone!
Here's a picture of my mares udder. She will be 10 months on March 9th! I took this today! What do ya'll think??
http://photobucket.com/albums/d111/Opheliaimmorttal/?action=view&current=5e78f16 3.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/Opheliaimmorttal/5e78f163.jpg

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/Opheliaimmorttal/5e78f163.jpg[/IMG]

Kassie Finley
Yearling
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Elena, my mare and your mare are very close together, my mare will be at 10 months on March 16th. My mare has not started to develope an udder at all so far. The mare that I had foal last year started to develop an udder about 5 weeks before she foaled. I found with my mare, her udder looked a lot like your mares does, but the fuller it got the more the nipples pointed outward, and the morning of the day she foaled her udder was very full, shiny, and the nipples where very large and pointed outwards.
Hope you have a healthy foal. What are you wanting? color, and gender wise?

Jan H
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well everyone I have two mares one is 325 days along had one previous foal and one maiden who is 321 days along, both have been on alfalfa and grain for the last 3 months..they have NO UDDER development at all zero no swelling no fuffyness NADA. I have no idea what is going on with them they were AIed within 2 days of each other they were checked in foal at 30 90 days rechecked at 7 months and again at 9 months everything is fine. all the shots dewormings, they both show softening/relaxation in the tail/croup area, the mare who has had one previous foal has dropped. but still no udder on either of them I am stumped. the mare who has had a foal before was before I owned her so I do not know her breeding history when it comes to signs. So if you have a mare not bagging up like everyone elses mare, do not worry it happens to others too. as far as me. I will just wait and see i have had mares in the past who did not bag up till the day they foaled. so I wait.

Amber Tedford
Nursing Foal
Username: Amber

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan,
Is there any possibility of them having been on fescue? I'm sure as experienced as what you are you've thought of this, but I'm curious as I know no bag is a side effect.

Jan H
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Amber yes I do know about ergophyte sp? infected Fescue, but my mares have been on Alfalfa for the last 3 months there is no chance of that, but thank you for the concern and yes I have seen this happen from Infected Fescue before that is why they have been on Alfalfa. I am at a loss on why there is nothing in udder development yet, so the wait goes on. thanks Amber.

Danielle Roosen-Runge
Nursing Foal
Username: Rolling_hills_quarter_horses

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both of my mares are at about 322 days... one has a huge bag the other has nothing. They both are due within 24 hrs of each other. Today I noticed some waxing... not the right color on the one mare... she still has minimum a week... the other mare I bet will follow her previous foaling and foal at 342. I am getting super excited!

Jan - Looks like we will be on foal watch at the same time!

(Message edited by Rolling_Hills_Quarter_Horses on February 26, 2006)

Jan H
Yearling

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Danielle at least I am in good company glad to share foal watch with you, should be a fun season! Good luck with your two mares one sounds close looking forward to the post saying its a filly/colt. and of course Pictures and lots of them :-)

Elena Vieira
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone,
Kassi, i think it is weird that my mare has developed and udder already and she's (as far as I know) maiden. I might have to call the old owner and ask because from reading other posts about maiden mares, none of them really have an udder, as Aspens is growing and growing. We'll be on foal watch together then. I am so excited. With the color stallion, Cremello, and Aspen's coloring, Red Dun. I'll either get a buckskin or a palomino. I am kind of hoping for a Palomino colt. I want a good gelding in the future. But i have a feeling it will be a bucksking filly. I wont mind though as long as it's healthy. What do you want? I hope you have a healthy foal as well. We'll have to share picture when the time comes!

Danielle Roosen-Runge
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a very fun time. I am expecting these two then one in April and one in July. What are you expecting Jan?

http://www.cashintowin.net
You can view my boy and my girls on this site... Miss Zips Eclipse and Her Majestys Best are due in roughly 2.5 weeks.

Jan... was wondering if you are looking at a mare and you can hardly see anything from the sides but she is still carrying fairly high what do you think that would be.

Jan H
Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danielle, it is hard to tell with no picture and unknowing how far along she is and her build etc I could not even fathom to guess sorry. I looked at your site looks like some nice stock you have there, you should get some nice foals out of them.

As for what I am expecting, I have a 17 hand tall AQHA maiden who was bred to a stallion called
"Tre's Seis" he is located at JEH Stallion station in Texas.
This is him:
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/b99bcf70.gif[/IMG]

He is bred to "Gold Digger One", my maiden: Here she is:
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/27771dc7.jpg[/IMG]

Then my AQHA Mare "Choctaw Jade Princess"
here she is:
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/jadeat5months.jpg[/IMG]

Is bred to a 100% Homozygous Tobiano/Tovero stallion named "Lucky Two Straws" He is OLW NN
Here he is:
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/86cc6b2f.jpg[/IMG]

Danielle Roosen-Runge
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan - Very nice... I am familiar with Lucky Two Straws. I will see if I can get some pics my camera has been acting funny! I am hoping it will work for the deliveries! I am amazed its already been 11 months... the foals will be here before I know it.

Amber Tedford
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, what do you expect to get from your flaxen girl (sex, color)? We have a "flaxy" who foaled last year. She was bred to a bay as well.

Jan H
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel I will get a flashy bay filly out of this breeding, but only time will tell and of course we will see when she foals. If she foals a colt the colt will be put up for sale at the yearling AQHA sale in texas JEH stallion station will sell him for us.

Kassie Finley
Yearling
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elena,
Don't worry to much about her already having a bag. my mare started baggin up at 280 days, and delivered a healthy sorrel colt on day 322. I was so worried she would abort or have a premi. But she made it. I was counting the days on my calendar, and when she made it to day 319 I felt safer lol. Anyhow she was a maiden mare and she did bag up, it was about 6 weeks before she foaled.
My mare is bred to a gray homozygous tobiano stallion, I am not going to keep the foal because part of the deal with buying my mare was that the owner got the foal back, but still I would like her to have a bay or black filly.
I am breeding my other mare that was a maiden last year to a Cremello stud this year. I am hoping for a palomino filly (I am partial to fillys for some reason lol). I have a cremello colt we are going to use as a stud next year. And this year we have a Blue Roan stud possibly homozygous black, we are going to use this year. But he is off at training now and will be there until May I miss him. But he is being trained in cutting. he has a lot of the old Quarter Horse lines like Blue Valentine, Driftwood, and Hancock. I really like those lines and we are excited about him. Anyhow this year we are only having one foal, but next year we will hopefully have 5. We are breeding our Palomino mare this week to a buckskin stallion. Anyhow so next year should be much more eventfull for us and nerve racking And I will post pictures as soon as my mare foals. I am keeping a detailed foaling journal on our website so others can compare their mares with hers. Its really just something to help me get through the waiting game

Amber Tedford
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll keep it if it's a filly, though? Can you, as an experienced breeder, tell what color they will be when they are born? The reason I ask this is that my vet (we've been spending alot of time together ) identified a new foal's color right after she was born. Not the color she was, but the color she will be. Perhaps it was because he knew her breeding? We've only had one foal, but he changed colors like 3 times before he settled on one, lol!

Jan H
Yearling

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amber I look at the nose that does not change. well unless there is a gray parent LOL but for the most part the nose tells you alot. And yes if Digger has a filly I will keep it.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - here is something to look at while we wait for a "Days of Raven" update. I know my mare has a few weeks to go, but here are her udder changes. The pics are a week apart. The udders still look more like they are just swollen and she has no other signs. I am just posting for the novices like me to see the changes.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=Udders306days.j pg

Dorthy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 136.181.195.113
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did her udder start changing? My mare is at about 280 days and has no udder at all.........she has had one foal.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week was the first sign of anything (299 days). Her pic from last week is also included if you click the "next" on the pics.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee-thanks for the comparison pics. boy she is pretty!
is she a maiden? boy i wish my girl had a figure like yours!...mine looks like a "coffee table in her sideways"(as said by heather(?) on another thread.) and no udder "developement" so to speak, only a bit of hanging skin and thickening skin.
she is 311 days! she has not made much udder change since mid january! if you would like to see what she looks like look here .http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_5707.jpg
..poor thing looks deformed!!! if you look through the pics you will see her 299 day udder.
as well as the stallion she is bred to adn another of his foals and her mom from last spring.
my mare has had 2 previous foals, but has no had one for 10 years

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- I am well aquainted with your walking coffee table! Mine is a maiden so she probably won't keep this figure next time. I can't even image her looking like your girl. She must have to walk into the stall cafefully so she doesn't knock her sides.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she is not stalled, i tried it but she has not beens talled for 11 years, does not like it, and at this point stressing her out is not worth losing her foal...it took a lot to get her where she is! I will be locking her into a small paddock and small lean to style barn tarped off for heat and she'll be near her herd but protected...will start that next week. hopefully she will be ok with that! I am quite sure she would hit her sides on an average stall door! i should go out and actually measure in inches how wide she is...i think ill do that now!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

o.k. I just went out and measured her, if i stand behind and measure her bellys width, she is 38 inches wide!!!!!(=/- 1 inch)
WHOA!!!!! WIDE LOAD COMING THROUGH!!!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SORRY kATHEE, I FORGOT THAT WE DISCUSSED HER ON HTE OTHER THREAD! SO MANY NEW PEOPLE, HARD TO KEEP YOU ALL STRAIGHT!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with not stressing them out. Since I only have my three at my house, I would leave them out and they could go in the barn if they wanted to. They became very accustomed to the freedom and when I stalled them in the winter they were not very happy. My mare completely stresses out in her stall unless the other two are in their stalls so consequently, they all get put up now! Leave it to the pregnant grouch to control everyone. In fact, I find myself catering everything around her and the other two just have to deal with it!

Elena Vieira
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Everyone,
I stopped feeding my mare her LMF preg. grain and her milk went away, I am feeding it again and it's kind of coming back but its really senstive...when I touch them she will swish her tail then kick up, not like a mean kick but more of an "ow, get away" Kick. I think this is normal? she is 299 days!
Thanks!
Elena

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee - I do love your mares colouring - Id really like a buckskin for myself. Cant wait to see pictures of your baby when it comes, shes sooo pretty. Only a short while to go now!!

Im sorry I cant help you elena, Im new to this too - and I am only at 271 days myself...

windy fillmore
Weanling
Username: Windyf

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elena my mare is at day 301 today last year started a bag 4 weeks before foaling. I wrote that down, my problem is I didn't write what it looked like so now I'm not sure if the changes in her bag are what I called started a bag last year. All I do know for sure is I only bred her one day because she had retained her placenta longer than is expected so we had her uterus flushed so when I bred her, I only did that one day. Anyway a mares bag will go from looking big to nothing off and on when it gets full and stays that way you know your close. Hope this helps. Windy

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Kim - I know my foal will be black becuase the sire is homozygous for black. He is hetero for tobinao, but has thrown solid black with white legs and blaze in his two previous bucksin breedings. I have been told some of his foals are born brownish and shed out to the true black. They stay dark black and seem unaffected by sun. The color contrast should be very spectacular and I plan to stalk the pair until I have the perfect Mommy and Baby picture. I figure it will take 300 or 400 shots until I get what I am looking for!

Elena Vieira
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Windy, it did help!
Elena

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everybody!

I have a mare at day 325 today. She has had 7 or 8 foals before we got her. she is "due" March 15th. She has not started bagging good yet. Still has about a 1/4 of an udder.
Should i be worried?

I know our older mare gets a bag very early on and stays rock hard the whole time. probably the last 2 months anyway...

she is bred to a homozygous bay and white.

Here she is.. (bad picture) dirty and kinda messy, but you get the idea..LOL
http://community.webshots.com/photo/196365392/2884635740060158556QjVlAE

And here is the homozygous stud

http://community.webshots.com/photo/196365392/2643717050060158556HbEuYw

Hope she starts bagging soon...

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beverly, sounds perfectly normal to me. Each mare is different some can do like your mare is doing now, another may not get that 1/4 udder until a week before foaling some do not bag up until the day they foal, you just never know, but your mare sounds like she is smack dab in the middle of normal. They are both very nice looking should produce a very nice foal. Good luck.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone! I really have to appreciate the little changes since there is not much going on with my girl (maiden that doesn't even look very preg). Today I checked her udders and started to press and rub around them - she has seemed to enjoy this in the past. Not today! She flipped her ears back, swished that tail and stomped a hoof! Something is going on in there! No other signs - she is at 318 days. I can't believe it is finally getting near (I hope). I have a big event planned on the 18th with my daughter - I am trying to keep it from Dream so she doesn't get motivated!

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Kathee! I have to say that it seems like every time we have something planned outside the farm, the farm and its creatures seem to have a sense of it and will throw a loop to us. Make sure you have all your plans and preperations done for the big event so that if you loose sleep the night before you will be all set. :-)

Good luck
Kim

Susan Peterson
Neonate
Username: Sbp

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden is 290 days today, and about 1/4 full....she is my first maiden, but not my first to foal out....can anyone share their experiences with maidens? Does this seem early even for a maiden? I did call the vet, waiting on a return call....(KimK thanks for your input on my other thread about this!!)
Thanks! Susan

Beverly Outlaw
Breeding Stock
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan,

for a maiden there is never an accurate way of saying it is abnormal. LOL. She needs to hold on to the baby as long as possible. at least to day 320. call your vet and ask for sure. It could be perfectly normal or it may be placentitus.

Our maiden took a long time to form a bag. it seemed like it was going to take forever to get her bag. It took her about 3 months...

probably nothing to worry about.. but if you feel you need to make sure....call your vet. It is always better to get a vets opinion..

Good luck!!!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan- for what it's worth, my maiden started bagging the first of February and she wasn't 320 days till March 8, I was certain she'd not carry till 320 days.. we are now at 327.. I've also had maidens that at 330 days didn't have much udder development till after they foaled ( at 335 days last year ). The maidens can keep you guessing, if I've learned one thing over the years, it's that they don't all read the textbooks and follow the rules for foaling!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello to all - well I am in such need of entertainment after Raven's drama and during this void of activity that I have created a week by week comparison of my maiden's bag! (I know, it is sad). However, it might be helpful to other first timers to see the changes. The vet was out today and gave Dream her vaccinations. Now if she will just foal in the next two weeks! He also commented on her edema. I knew it was common, but he said that when a mare has the edema right in front of her bag as you will see in the pics, it almost always means they will be a high volume milk producer. Sounded like a good thing for a new Momma and baby!
http://photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=Udderchanges.jp g

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee- hello to you too! thanks for the comparison, hope that you get a foal soon too! My maiden mare has those pouches in front of her udder too, this is her first foal, so maybe, just maybe she'll be a good momma!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats too cool, how did you do that?
man i wish mine had half that much "bag"!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is actually more creative than technical - I just printed all three pictures on one sheet of standard copy paper and then took a picture of the sheet and cropped. Digital cameras are fantastic! I never thought of taking a picture of a picture until my Mom did it years ago. She was photographing our old family pictures so we would have a premanent, easy to store family history.

Lori aka " Raven"
Yearling
Username: Raven

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee amazing play by play on the udders. Keep it up!!! I truly am sorry that Lady had to cancel your soap. I was enjoying it as well. Maybe next year it will be better (laptop & web cam????) We will have too see.

Dawn Garbett
Neonate
Username: Stlfarm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare has developed a bag but it isn't huge. A little more than 1/2 full? This morning she had a little bit of wax. When I check her I get a super thick,yellow, sticky fluid. Her due date is the 23rd.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dream has had a developing udder for over 3 weeks now. They are extremely hard and warm. The nipples are not extended at all. Since this is my first "milking" experience, either I don't know how to milk a horse...or there is nothing in there. Is it me or her?
http://photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=Udderchanges.jp g

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sometimes you can't get anything out at first. Some mares don't let it go ! When they are storing the milk the hormones just aren't enough to let if flow. There may not be enough yet to do anything, especially in a maiden mare(from my experiences). She looks as she is developing from the picks , but noting full enough to fill into the nipples. Once she is fuller the nipples become elongated and fuller and then you should have a easyier chance of getting any liquid and become closer to foaling..
Their bodies go through similar changes as humans. The breast get larger the nipples change and all that is hormone related.

Danielle Roosen-Runge
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just drove by the two mares in the pasture to see what if anything had shifted. I think "Magic's" milk production is in overdriver her milk veins are HUGE! "Maggie" was laying down a bit a go with semi heavy breathing... I do believe we are getting closer.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dream is 321 days and has completely lost her bag this afternoon. It has been consistantly growing for 3 weeks without reducing in the evening or after exercise. I understand this can happen and I'm not worried. Just an update.

windy fillmore
Yearling
Username: Windyf

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay everyone here are pics of Rosie's udder at day 316 it has really changed this weekend.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/tripleffarms/rosieschangingudderday316.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/tripleffarms/rosiesudderday316.jpg

SDS
Nursing Foal
Username: Whisper05

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my mares has been bagging up for the last 3 weeks she has around 2 weeks to go,she has had 9 foals and always seems to start her bagging well in advance she is 18.My 23yo mare just started bagging last week she has about 30 days to go,she has had 5 foals.My 13yo mare who has had 2 foals hasnt started bagging and she has about 30 days to go,cant remember if she did that last year or not,havent owned her but 2 years.All the books say 4-6 weeks but some are earlier and some later.
Never read anything on the salt looking dots going away just before foaling.I see them but I guess never really paid that much attention to that part before,LOL.I am always more worried about leaking off, I have one mare that does that,I found out her dam also did it but never any worry about it I guess from the previous owners,she always seems to have plenty of colostrum,I milk out and feed the babies to make sure they get it right after birth.
Wendy your mares udder looks like my mare that is at 311 days.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US