SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Worming pregnant mares

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Worming pregnant mares « Previous Next »

RobenG (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 67.70.71.216
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 2 bred mares, one is 1 month along, the other is 4 months along. We will be getting frost anyday now. What are the safest wormers for these gals? (I used to use Strongid P or Equvalan at this time of the year) Thanks!
sincerely, Roben

arablvr31
Neonate
Username: Arablvr31

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of the modern wormers are safe for pregnant mares, and in fact, are strongly recommended for pregnant mares. Assuming your mares have been on a regular worming program, once the frost comes, I usually worm for bots and tapeworms. That involves using an ivermectin product that includes praziquantal. Something like Zimectrin Gold or Equimax. If your mares haven't been on a regular worming program (ie. every 8 weeks) you may want to worm with a milder wormer, like Panacur or Strongid P, and then worm a month later with the stronger ivermectin/praziquantal wormer. While they are pregnant, they should be rotationally wormed every 8 weeks and then again right before or immediately (the same day) they foal with an ivermectin wormer. Generally speaking, foals need to be wormed as often as every month, depending on where you live. My foals get Strongid one month, Ivermectin the next, with a size appropriate dose of Quest when they hit a year old, to remove any encysted strongyles.

If you have any questions about wormer safety, please talk to your vet. They are also the best resource to recommend wormers for your area of the country. I'm in the upper Midwest and the above is what my vet has recommended.

Dorthy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told by my vet NOT to give Equimax to pregnant mares but I know Ivercare is safe

Renee
Yearling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RobenG,
arablvr31 has given some good suggestions of wormers to use. I personally use equimax also.
But your mare that is only 1 month along should not receive any worming or any meds etc for the first 90 days of pregnancy. After this it is safe to worm her as usual with a wormer recommended by your vet, or one of the suggested ones.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US