SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal behavior question(?chewing in the air?)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Foal behavior question(?chewing in the air?) « Previous Next »

Kristin
Posted From: 68.81.164.242
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My two month old Haflinger colt has just recently started meeting my other horses(through fence, through windows, and finally in pasture).
Anyway, when he sees on of the horses that isn't his mom he seems to 'greet' them by putting his head up and chewing on the air, like he was chewing bubble gum in the back of his mouth.
Is the common/normal behavior? Does it mean anything? He isn't reaching to bite them when he does this, he just bites the air.
Any insight would be appreciated because I'm clueless on this one.

jmbavis
Posted From: 209.180.49.25
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes this is very normal. It is a chomping behavior that says "please don't hurt me - I am a baby"

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.133.188
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristin,
This is known as "clacking" and foals, even older horses will do this when they meet new horses as a sign of submission and to let them know that they are not a threat and as jmbavis said, it is their way of saying "I'm a baby, so don't hurt me." It is very normal behavior.

Anonymous

Posted From: 69.171.101.122
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When do foals begin to really suffer from separation anxiety and when is it time to start to correct rembunciuos behaviour because of it?
We have an orphaned 2 month old QH/Arab baby that got very worked up today when taken into the pasture with her human and away from the other horses in the barn.

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.196.103.102
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is the first time away from other horses I don't really correct the behavior unless it is really getting out of hand. I have found (now I know this is an orphan - but separation is separation) that at weaning time when they get their own stall that the first few days they drag me around the aisle and don't particularly want to go in the stall because they're alone in there. Usually the behavior improves daily and once they get used to the idea of being alone they are much easier to handle. I'm not saying not to correct the behavior at all, but I don't really make a big deal of it unless it carries on for weeks. They need to get a chance to adjust to the idea of not having another horse sharing space with them. Once they realize they haven't died they settle down.

Lisa Weir
Weanling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 06:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't worry unless she is getting aggressive toward you in the process. If she's just fidgeting and calling out, etc, but still respectful of your space, then it's something she will get over in time, I think. But if she's rearing up, striking or barging into you, correct her. That may be manageable at a young age, but she must learn it's not acceptable for any reason, before getting big enough to hurt you.
Sometimes giving them something to keep the focus on you is enough to ease the anxiety. Like asking them nicely to back up and come foward a few times, or stop start etc.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US