SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Udder Development

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Udder Development « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare who is only at 311 days has had her udder develop already, it is hard to touch and it doesn't feel any warmer than the rest of her body, it does seem to go down after she has been outside for the day and bigger in the am when she has been out. This is her second foal and her first one six years ago she delivered on day 322 and am not going to be surprised if she foals around this time again, I guess my question is does her udder description sound alright or should I be worried, she is sensitive to touch and she does not like it when I try to milk her, and when I do get something it is clear or yellowish. What is all your thoughts?

Jos
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds perfectly normal.

kel
Posted From: 209.226.247.168
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare looks like she just starting to develop some kind of udder (not real big yet and the teats are not full at all)
she is 270 days and this would be her 3rd foal.
does this sound normal? would she be developing something already?

Sandy
Posted From: 67.31.172.74
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares can begin to develop an udder as early as eight weeks prior to foaling.
Do you know what her habit has been in her prior foalings? Has she ever started to develop an udder this early before?
I would probably look at what her earlier habits have been.

kel
Posted From: 216.208.58.156
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i tried to reach her previous owners, but no luck
so I'll have to wait and watch I guess. ;)
when the teats get full, is when it gets closer to foaling time right?
this is my first foal, so I'm reading and learning as much as i can

Anonymous
Posted From: 130.36.62.125
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The udder can enlarge and shrink several times before a mare foals, sometimes daily based on how much exercise the mare gets. One of the best predictions of iminent foaling is a change in the color and texture of the secretions from the udder. Another fairly good predictor is the formation of "wax" on the udder, although wax may appear and disappear also for a week or 2.

Iceberg
Posted From: 66.187.64.29
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on the mare you may never know by looking at the udder. We have one mare who never let on that she was ready, even just hours before she foaled. She fooled us all by delivering 2 weeks early with no obvious signs. She was examined by my vet in the afternoon (another horse required some work) and again by me at 11pm; when I went out in the morning there were 4 extra legs in her stall!

Angel Humphries
Posted From: 66.138.175.142
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is a maiden 4 year at 300 days of pregnancy. She is already developing an udder, and it is hard to the touch. This is also my first foal. Is this normal? Thanks.

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.243.128
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel,
It is normal for the udder to appear somewhat hard to the touch, especially for a maiden. The udder will go up and down in size, be hard in the morning, soft and spongy in the evening.
I wouldn't worry at all about a mare starting to make an udder at 300 days. My experience has been that my mares usually foal about 35 - 40 days after starting to make an udder, so that would be just about right for your mare. But with her being a maiden, anything goes!

Angela
Posted From: 205.188.116.21
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive me if this appears twice. I need advice. I adopted an emaciated mare appox. 9 months ago. She has put on a great deal of weight and what I thought to be a grass belly. Last week I noticed that she has bagged. Not just at the teets but also around them and from inner thigh to inner thigh. It produces a cloudy white liquid. I am a little freaked out by this development. I have owned horses my entire life, but have no experience with a mare in foal. All of my horse friends have told me not to waste the money on a vet check- that she is indeed pregnant. I just don't know where to begin! suggestions?

Angela
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I should also say I have never seen any movement from her belly- ever.

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.66
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Angela,
Well, checking into this website and forum is a great place for you to start to get some good advice and some helpful articles on what to expect from a foaling mare.
I wouldn't be too concerned with the fact that you have never seen any movement in her belly, because you weren't really watching for it! When we know our mares are pregnant we generally watch for movement hoping to see something. When you don't know that your mare is pregnant I would say it wouldn't normally be something you would be looking for anyway.
Although your friends are telling you not to waste the money on a vet check, I think you should if it would make you more comfortable with the situation and then at the same time you would be able to get some good advice from your vet with any questions or concerns you may have.
There is also a wonderful book that I recommend to anyone that is a first time pregnant mare owner. It is called "The Complete Book of Foaling" and is written by Karen E.N. Hayes DVM.
You can usually find that book at almost any tack/feed/horse supply store. It has a ton of helpful information in it on what to look for with impending foaling and the complications that can arise during foaling and the situations where you should definitely have a vet's intervention.

Good luck to you and your mare!

Angela
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sandy. I just ordered the book. Yes, I have come to realize how helpful this site is. I appreciate your comments.

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.133.194
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela,
You're welcome and I think you will find the book very insightful.

Angel
Posted From: 66.138.175.143
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare had her baby!!! You were right Sandy, 31 days after her bagging she had it. Last night at 8:00 pm I noticed she had white milk, so of course I stayed with her as much as possible. My husband got up at five this morning so I went to sleep when he said she was fine, and then at 5:30 he was getting ready to leave and saw this baby laying down beside her. I missed it by 30 minutes!!! She did fine though, baby is up and eating. Now just to decide what color he is (AQHA). He is red on his back, creamy colored on legs, whitish belly, and his skin on his eyelids and muzzle is pink! Thanks for all the help, this board is great. I learned so much from it.

jmbadavis
Posted From: 209.180.49.25
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Angel on your new baby. I pray things so go as well for my mare. I have a mare that is approximately 328 days along in her pregnancy. I notice her udder starting to fill on June 14. Her due date is July 24th. This morning when I grained her I noticed that she had, maybe, wax on her udder. She has started to soften but no nearly where she should be for labor. She has quite a bit of resistance in her tail but her rectum is starting to regress inward. It is possible that she can have some sort of wax and then it will go away? I am hoping she will have her baby in the next week. Is there anything else I can be looking for while I wait? Does the wax on her udder mean that she is starting to produce colostrum?

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.145
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Angel! Glad to hear everything went well. Sounds like your colt might be a chestnut. I've had chestnut foals born whose eyelids and muzzles are pinkish colored, but then they start to darken up within about a month or so. What color are his mane and tail?
jmbadavis:
Yes, it is possible for there to be wax one day and then none the next. All the waxing means is that the bag is getting very full and tight and fluid is seeping out and forming little beads of dried fluid on the teats. Sometimes just a mare lying down can cause this to happen if the udder is very full and tight. And then again as I'm sure you have read on here in other posts, not all mares will wax prior to delivery. Waxing really is NOT a very good indicator of impending foaling! I have seen mares waxed for 2 weeks before actually foaling.
Some other things you can watch for is her belly changing shape. The foal will "drop" and her belly will take on a more pointed look along the bottom line and she can look a little more hollowed in the flank area. You may want to look for her tail head to be more pronounced, a sunken look on either side of the croup.
The best indicator and the number one thing you can watch for is a change in color and consistency of the fluid from her udder. Check some of the other posts on this forum for milk color change to see what you can look for.
Good luck and happy foaling!

Angel
Posted From: 66.138.175.129
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi again. Do you know if a baby will change colors after they shed their foal coat? My baby is out of a blue roan stud and a sorrel mare with "ticking". He has some white mixed in on his back legs above the knee and a little on his hindquarters. Is it possible for him to become more roan after he sheds?
Jmbadavis,
Good luck with your mare!! Mine foaled at 331 and she was maiden, which was exhausting!! Her change in milk color is what alerted me that she was going to have him soon.

jmbadavis
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When checking her last night, I was amazed how much she has softened. She wasnít nearly that soft 12 hours earlier. She is a grey arab so I could tell this morning she had been laying down and/or rolling because of the dirt on her. I have heard mares will roll to help get the foal into position, is that true? I am hoping this is just naturals way of getting ready for the birth and she is not having trouble. You say to watch the color of her milk, should I actually be squeezing her nipple? Doesnít that hurt anything? What about mastitis? I usually feel her udder, which is really tight but not her nipple area. Her first foal two years ago, didnít survive. I had been checking on her every hour and when I found her she was still laying down and we could tell she must have had a hard time because she was very dirty and sweating. The baby was dead when we got there, it was laying behind her so we assume he was dead when he was delivered. We didnít have the foal posted so we donítí know what the cause was. So we are praying this one goes better.

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.133.172
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel,
Yes, foals can change color when they shed off their foal coats. Just two examples: I had a colt born that was a beautiful blood bay and when he shed off, he was black.
I had a filly born solid black with a little bit of silver type color on her upper legs, she shed out to a gorgeous blue roan.
The biggest changes in coat color seem to occur after they shed off their winter coat in their yearling year...that's just been my experience.

jmbadavis:
Rolling is perfectly normal in a mare that is getting close to foaling time. When they are in actual labor is when they are rolling to get the foal into position.
As to check the color of your mare's milk, it is absolutely fine to squeeze the nipples to get out a few drops of fluid. It doesn't hurt anything. And you only need a few drops, don't worry about getting out cupfuls or anything like that. You are just checking for color and consistancy.
You say you found her last foal lying there dead behind her....was it still in the sac or was it out? You have no idea how many foals have died because they couldn't get out of the sac and have suffocated. That's why I think it is so important for mare owners to try their best to be there when their foals are born. Even if you don't have to help in the delivery process, it's good to be there so that you know everything is going right. If the sac doesn't break immediately after the foal is out of the mare, I instantly jump right in and tear that sac open, clean out the foals mouth and nostrils and make sure it is breathing, then I will just back off and let nature take its course at that point.

Just because your mare was very dirty and sweating when you found her with her dead foal, doesn't necessarily mean she had a hard time. Most mares will be in that condition after foaling. They will roll a lot, get up and down a lot, and sweat like crazy!
Considering what happened with your mare and her last foaling, I think it would definitley be in your best interests to try everything you can to be present when she has this foal.
I wish you and your mare the best!

Angel
Posted From: 66.138.175.135
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sandy! I'll keep you posted on his color...I already love him, but I must admit that a red roan would be nice...we plan on keeping him as our stud. Jmbadavis, let me know when your mare foals and I hope everything goes alright.

jmbadavis
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should have had the foal posted but we didnít. The vet has given us many different scenarios, lack of oxygen, birth defect, etc. From what I remember foal was out of the sac. I am going to go home tonight and see if I get a few drops of milk out of her to give me some idea if I need to be checking on her during the night. Angel - I will certainly keep you posted.

Angel
Posted From: 66.138.175.104
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. Sandy, my foal is going to be red roan. Where he is shedding or has scratched, his hair is a dark sorrel with lots of white mixed in. He's so spoilt!! I can't walk out around him without him wanting to be scratched. He's like a little puppy that follows you wherever you go, at least until you halter him and try to lead him:-).

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.228
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel,
That's great that you got your red roan!

anyssapark
Posted From: 202.92.102.220
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all, just after a bit of info. I have a mare that was due to foal on Sunday 28/11 (sun just gone). She was bagged up on Sunday 21/11/04 (so now at her 9th day since bagging up), and has had a rock hard udder since Thursday (so shes had it for 5 days now). I have been told, and read that they foal 7-10 days after bagging up, and i havent had a horse thats broken that rule yet! Most of my mares foal the day or night that their udder goes rock hard. Should i be worried that she still hasnt foaled? Or is the 7-10 days just an estimate??

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.133.79
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say that I've never heard that before. About a mare foaling 7-10 days after bagging up. Gosh, I've had mares go 5 weeks or better after bagging up! And I've had mares whose bags were rock hard for 2 weeks before they foaled.
Everything when dealing with the time mares are supposed to foal is just an estimate in my opinion.
I don't think you have any reason to be worried at all.

anyssapark
Posted From: 202.92.102.220
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, thanks sandy. Thats good to know. I cant remember where i heared or read it, but because none of my other mares had ever done otherwise, i thought it must have been true! Thanks, that puts my mind at ease.

Julie
Posted From: 69.138.198.220
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jumping on the bandwagon here- I have a maiden who is 282 days today and has a little filling in her udder. When she was about 5 months along she had this as well and the vet came out and did an u/s as he was concerned re her aborting it. She stayed filled a good part of the summer and I noticed the more humid and hot the day the more filling and the non-pregnant mares had this as well.
Now that the pregnancy is drawing so near and the fact that she did spike a fever of 102.7 last week due to an abcess/infection in the hoof (vet did give a little rompum b/c she was freaking out and bute/banamine to get the fever down) I continually worry. I too had heard the "they bad up a couple weeks before foaling." I'm relieved to read you all have had different experience with this. She'll be 320 days on February 9th- so still a ways to go.

I've been taking her temp daily and it has stayed below 101 since the initial vet visit to pare out the abcess.

She has worried 10 years off my life!

Gayle
Posted From: 152.163.100.13
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever had a horse that the vet checked for pregnancy, said she was not pregnant but actually was? We have a 15 yr. old maiden arab mare. The vet sent out his new assistant who did a rectal and only inserted her arm a little past the wrist. This horse has been making milk since 2nd wk of nov., is bagged up in the morning, though down after being out all day, has gotten very sensitive about having here tummy brushed or touched and has gotten very round. She is on a reg. worming schedule. Any help would be appreciated. Also has anyone ever heard of a false pregnancy this time of yr in a maiden mare who has never been around new mommies or foals? The vets assis. said she would have to look up why she is making milk & if I didn't hear from her to call her back. I didn't bother cause she really didn't impress me much.

horselady
Posted From: 64.230.182.159
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gayle;
I bought a maiden mare that was vet checked last July and supposed to be open. When I had her pregnancy wellness exam done in October, she was 5 months pregnant. It is possible for the vet to miss the pregnancy. It happened with my horse, who is now 7 months pregnant and doing wonderfully !

Rooty
Posted From: 67.71.19.171
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had our rather small vet miss a pregnancy because the embryo was waaay up in the horn!

Ronda Hulon
Posted From: 66.207.236.9
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 243 days, and I have noticed significant udder development in the past couple of days. She is a maiden mare. Should I be worried?

L&R Farms
Posted From: 12.149.186.66
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ronda,

What do you consider "significant"? My maiden mare is 248 days, and has started developing a small bag. First started with the mammory glands in front of the teats, and now those are beginning to enlarge. From what I'm told, she's right on schedule, and ideal for a maiden.

I'm told "significant" development would not be good, so please give us more info.

outlawpaints
Posted From: 64.53.77.245
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are a little new to this as well. we had a mare that has had many babies so when she bagged up you knew it was time, but we have never seen a maiden mares udder start developing. on one side she has a little tiny bit of mammory gland developement i guess. does it usually work that way. one side and then the other? she is at day 240 or so..... is this about right or could she be further along?

L&R Farms
Posted From: 12.149.186.66
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With our maiden, we didn't notice it doing one side at a time. She seems to be going pretty evenly. She started a few weeks or so ago. She's currently 249 days. Right on schedule.

Sandy
Posted From: 67.50.40.182
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a maiden who is also going one side at a time. She is approx. 250 days or so. Her 340 due date is March 31st.
I have even seen mares who weren't maiden going one side at a time also.
As for "significant" udder development, I would take that to mean that the udder is enlarging and filling at a fast rate. At 250 days, that definitely would not be a good thing.
A little swelling and puffiness in front of the udder at this stage is not a huge thing, but the actual filling of the udder would be. My experience has been that most of my mares will foal approx. 35 days after their udder actually begins to fill.

Ronda Hulon
Posted From: 66.207.237.223
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it only seems "significant" because I check her pretty often. Compared to what an open mare is, there is a fairly big difference. She's probably right on schedule... lol its almost as bad as if I were having a baby lol. This is my first time for a foal and I've had the mom since she was about 4 months, so I'm paranoid lol. Anyway, thanks for the input. My sister said that her mare was due the first of March one year and foaled Jan. 31!!! Sounds like it was too early to me, but the foal turned out great. Anyone else heard of one coming that early or earlier?

outlawpaints
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sandy. I can feel the baby move alot on her. not more than usual. just like at feeding times, but our other mare she is about a month or so behind her and we really haven't felt much movement on her. she is due about the first of may.... should we be feeling anything yet? she is rather long backed, where the other is short backed and more refined than my mare. she is really stocky. what do you think?

Sandy
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Outlaw,
I have a mare that is due May 15th or so and I can feel her foal moving quite a bit, but she also is a short backed mare, and I really don't know if that would make a difference or not to be honest. But I would think that you should be feeling SOMETHING by now.

horselady
Posted From: 64.230.153.197
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare due May 12th.. i havent felt anything yet, but will be taking another check on her tomorrow to see whats going on. :-)

outlawpaints
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i did feel something about two weeks ago, but have not found it again. feeling like she may have absorbed it . is there a way to tell if she absorbed it other than by a vet?

Rooty
Posted From: 69.196.103.102
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy: when you say your mares usually foal about 35 days from when their udders begin to fill do you mean from the point where the udder will fill overnight but then go down during turnout or from when the udder stays full?

Ronda Hulon
Posted From: 66.207.237.32
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked my mare night before last, and her udders have gone down tremendously. I have no idea why they were enlarged for only a couple of days even with being turned out...weird.. What could be the cause?

outlawpaints
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well the mare we were worried about slipped her foal. we still have one that is due in Mar. Also the one that slipped her foal did it about two weeks ago and the vet checked her and said she has a follicle so maybe we can breed her back..

twhgait
Posted From: 69.23.219.143
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Outlaw, that stinks. I had no idea there was suppose to be ANY udder filling except until before delivery. I've checked my mare Thursday(due 5/5) and she has no difference in her teats at all from her normal. I also haven't felt any movement since that one day a month ago.....but I haven't really been checking either. Tomorrow when I go out to the barn, I will definitely see if I can get a kick or not. Outlaw-was there any signs she gave besides the udder?

Julie
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got my "Complete Foaling Manual" in front of me and have a question for you guys. There is a page that shows an udder beginning, 1/3, 1/2, and full. It states that development usually begins about 30 days before delivery, but they can have edema in front of the udder before filling begins.
My question is this- if it's normal to have a mare with beginning udder development at 280 days or so, when should it be 1/3 full, 1/2 full, and full- respectively? When would it be cause for alarm?

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.55.186
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sandy

I also am on baby watch , my mare is due from March 31st till April 8th :-) I am excited yet nervous for this is our first baby in YEARS .. This mare was NOT palpated in foal but certainly appears to be and is also starting to get some filling in her milk vein ! :-) I am concerned though I really have seen any movement ? should I be ?

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.252.143
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about your mare outlaw, that is so heartbreaking.

Rooty: I'm talking about when you can see a definite change in the udder itself. The udder starts to get kinda puffy looking and yes it will go up and down. But my experience has been 35 days + or - a day or two from the time it actually starts changing.

Julie: There is not a set time when the udder should be 1/3, 1/2 and full. It is going to depend on each individual mare. If your mare's bag starts filling at 280 days, it should take it a while before it gets totally full. One of my mares last year started around 283 days and she foaled at 323 days. The udder will be full and staying full and hard for about a week or two prior to foaling (in my experience).

Painted Acres: One of my mares is also due around the same time as yours. I was checking her yesterday and she is starting to get the edema in front of her udder, but nothing significant in the udder itself. I did feel the baby kick yesterday, but did not see any movement with the kick. This is this mare's first foal and she hardly looks pregnant at all! But I must also say that she is a miniature horse too, so staying small through a pregnancy is a good thing.
I personally don't expect anything significant to start happening with this mare until approx. Feb. 20th, that is when she will be at 300 days. I do usually check my mares maybe once a week prior to 300 days, but once they hit the 300 day mark, I begin checking every day. They say anything after 300 days is fair game as far as foaling, but I really don't want anything born before day 320 as they are considered premature before that time.

For anyone who would be interested, here is a link to my "links page" on my website. Click on the Foaling Table and all you have to do is put in the last day your mare was bred and it will give you a wonderful chart to show you when to expect your mare's udder to start developing and when you can expect foaling and what would be considered premature.
www.angelfire.com/ut2/sbr/linkspage.html

twhgait
Posted From: 69.23.219.143
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Sandy, that foaling table is awesome!!!
I did go out and check my maiden mare today as I said I would and she sure does have a little swelling right in front of her teats. The teats themselves are normal. I fed her treats and then stood there hugging her belly but didn't feel anything moving. Maybe I didn't wait long enough (it's only 5 degrees today!). She is 234 days today. Does all that sound normal?

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.55.11
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sandy for the great site :-) I look so forward to seeing movement in belly ..

For anyone who is interested I run a small Paint and Qh forum for us here in Northern Ontario but anyone is welcome :-) Minis and all :-) Please feel free to check it out !

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/freeboard.cfm?id=633992

I also have some photos of my mare and her teats to share with you all for inspection :-) look for the new topic !

Virginia

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.146
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

twhgait:
I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of swelling in front of the teats or anything at 234 days. As for feeling any movement, at that stage you might have to stand there and wait for quite a while to feel anything. But I would say everything sounds normal :-)
A good time to check for some movement is right after your mare has taken a good long drink of some water. That will usually get the babies moving!

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.55.172
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent I will try that , I posted under another part of this fourm photos of her teats , now what if anyone knows is this white stuff ? Its only on our two bred mares ? Any ideas !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/paintedacresfarm/pattiboobs.jpg

Also here is a photo of momma to be at roughly 250-260 days ! Better be a girl..lol http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/paintedacresfarm/pattisasdf.jpg

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.252.154
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know for sure what the white stuff is, but it is totally normal and nothing to be concerned about. I notice it all the time on my pregnant mares.
I wish I could see a pic of your pregnant mare from the rear, to see how wide she looks. She looks like she is hanging pretty low from the side pics.
If she is wider than she is low, then I'd say a girl. But if her belly is hanging lower than it is wide, I'd say a boy. But hey, ya just never know til they get here :-)

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.55.100
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kewl Sandy !

Well she has a history of Girls , Actually 6-7 foals have been fillies ...My daugter wants a colt :-) I say Filly again .... I'll try and get some rear shots this weekend should be warmer out ! :-)

What are you hoping for ? Thinking about putting a webcam in the barn for the birth ! So will share with everyone if I get it done !

Sandy
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hoping for all fillies. I have 3 of them coming. But I have a funny feeling that 2 of them are having boys. Oh well, as long as they come out healthy and happy, that's all that matters :-)

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.89.126
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Ma'am thats right healthy first , Gender later ...hahahah I don't care either , as long as it is HEALTHY first , COLORED second , FILLY third ..hahahah

Sandy
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm right with ya there. In that exact order!
1. Healthy
2. COLORED!
3. Filly

okggo
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys, I just meandered over here from COTH- I started a countdown to my foals birth and I would love your thoughts on how she looks for 300 days along. Her udder started filling a bit around January 1st. I have a feeling she will go on the 320 day end of things- but she is a maiden and it's winter, so who knows.
http://home.comcast.net/~fruitsnob/countdown.htm

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.51.75
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey first CONGRATS on baby on the way :-) kinda hard to see from my view on the photos ! But very possible she will go earlier .. Looking from the rear shot she is looking kinda relaxed :-) Udder development is coming along nicely :-) keep the photos coming , I'll get more of my lady as she progresses as well ...

Sandy: I took photos of my mare front and back for your viewing pleasure :-) Will post them here tonight :-)

Virginia

okggo
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! Thanks for looking ;) I plan on updating every week until 320 days and then daily. Her vulva is a little smidgen more relaxed as are her butt muscles. She has clear watery "milk," baby does not seemed to have dropped though. I just have this gut feeling she'll be second week in February- YIKES!
Will look forward to comparing my girl to your mare if you post photos later :-)

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.55.185
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I wanted to start a new thread for posting prego belly photos buy not sure why I cant :-(

Anywho here is Patti Today ! I think baby is growing :-)

Ok this is her breeding dates : She was pasture bred and bred the first day for almost two weeks so what date do you all guess she will foal ? 4-27-2004 to 5-29-2004 thats the time she ran with stallion , like I said she bred the first day :-)

Here she is !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/paintedacresfarm/pattifrontsm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/paintedacresfarm/pattifrontasm.jpg

Virginia

horselady
Posted From: 64.230.181.163
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sure looks alot bigger than my mare who is due May 12th. Id guess closer to the earliest date she was out with the stallion.

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.51.49
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what I was thinking about the dates :-) I am just anixous for a healthy foal , willkeep posting photos of her belly and udder ! can someone start a new thread for it so we can seperate the topics I cant for the life of me ! lol

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.249.93
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Virginia,
I saw pics of your mare from the front, but not from the back.
I compared her front pic with her side pic, and my prediction is gonna be a colt (sorry). I hope you do get your filly tho :-)
Your mare looks quite a bit larger than my mare that is due around May 15. I'm thinking your mare will foal around the end of March first part of April from her breed dates and her size.
My first one due was bred from April 22-25, those were the only times she was bred, so I know those are her only dates. Her belly isn't nearly that big! But I did SEE the foal moving just the other day. Her whole belly was doing a dance....it was kinda neat :-)

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.89.223
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what I am thinking about the last week in March I should see the little one :-) I have a rear shot of her but its not the greatest I will post it though :-)

Well I guess if your guessing a colt , i'll get prepared to see the little fella ..HAHAHA but in all honesty I just want it to be healthy and COLORED hahaha !

showhunters
Posted From: 69.68.75.202
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI there,

I'm new here! Hello okggo, I see you came over here too! :0 I found this while I was asking jeeves something about foaling! Our mares are the same day along which would be 322 today..here are a few pics of my maiden girl...going to take some more this evening though....

http://community.webshots.com/album/269819095SzqqqW

She's coming along I think...who knows how long though...I did start taking her temp twice a day in hopes of getting some idea...

One more question..I am highly concerned because she is a mare that always has not been too fond of udder cleaning time...I have been trying to work slowly to make her get used to this, but don't know how much I am progressing....should I be extremely concerned?? I like to stress a LOT!

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 207.35.162.49
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok just a update , nothing new on the homefront , Patti is still fat , baby is moving nicely :-) Patti gets Minimal udder development over night while being stalled and shrinkage when she is out ! look around another 30 days left :-) getting closer cant wait !

Virginia

TX. Breeder
Posted From: 199.3.209.42
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Showhunters:
If she is a maiden mare, you may want to step up the udder touching. I have seen many mares who as a maiden, would not let the baby nurse. You may find that she will need to be tied and confined to a stall so as to allow you to help her accept the foal nursing. Usually, it does not take long... but I have had a few that were down right serious about not having any of that! I had to get aggressive myself and let her know that kicking and biting at the foal would not be tolerated.
Not to stress though, usually mother nature kicks in within the first few hours.
Just as long as you are aware that some mares may not allow nursing, and could actually attack the foal. So, with a mare that was "sensitive" to touching around her udder, you may want to be on hand at foaling time to prevent any mishaps.

Jim T
Posted From: 68.216.92.100
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Showhunters,
You should continue to try to desensitize her, but be aware that some mares will never, ever let you milk them. We have a pony mare that after six foals still won't let me touch her udder without trying to kick my head off. But she always lets her babies nurse, I was scared to death with her first foal that she wouldn't let it nurse. When she had it, she stomped her feet, ground her teeth, and squealed loudly every time it nursed for the first two days, however she stood still on her own and let the baby nurse. She never offered to kick the foal off or bite it or anything else. What a trooper! All of my big quarter horse mares, even the maidens, will let you milk them like a cow.

Your mare will probably let the baby nurse even if she won't let you milk her but keep a close watch to make sure.

TX Breeder
Posted From: 199.3.209.146
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good lesson here for all foal owners: touch those babies everywhere! A "sensitive" foal can grow into an all too sensitive mare!
There are many mares that will allow their foal to nurse although they may not allow a person to handle them. However, when a mare refuses to accept the babies advances, it can be a potentially deadly situation.

Megan
Posted From: 66.133.179.128
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all! I have a quick question for anyone who is willing to answer. We have 2 mares who are both due. Our zippo pine bar mare was due last week. She hasnt waxed yet and mom is a little concerned so she told me to get on here and look it up. our other p.o.a mare who is maiden has a clear liquid coming from her teats. What does this mean...? is she close, her due date is March 7th.

Jos
Posted From: 4.239.102.91
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the article about overdue mares (follow the link) on our web site. It should help.

Megan
Posted From: 66.133.179.188
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well guys i got some super bad news. our maiden mare had her baby today. right on time. but it was breech and the mare couldnt get it out. the vet had to attach a come along to get it out bcus it was wedged in there.. if we didnt do it that way the mare would have died. when we finally got the baby out we realized why it was so hard to get it out. it was very deformed. the neck was practically attached to the chest. its front right leg was missing a cannon bone. but the good news is the mare is okay.. she didnt tear anything and is healthy. im jsut thankful we have one more mare that is due. but i am so scared. thanks for all the advice:-) megan

horselady
Posted From: 70.49.87.86
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about your maiden mare's troubles with her foal. Thank goodness your mare is ok.

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 207.35.162.195
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMGosh I am sooooo sorrry to hear that Megan :-( Man oh Man this is soooo stressful on us all ! I am just glad your mare is ok :-) sorry about baby though ;(My thoughts are with you !

Virginia

Painted Acres Farm
Posted From: 209.226.55.187
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok posting updated bag photos of Patti ...:-) These were taken a few days ago :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/paintedacresfarm/pattibagsm.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/paintedacresfarm/pattibag2sm.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/paintedacresfarm/pattibag3sm.jpg

Patti has a very very soften croup , cannot hold her tail anymore :-) enlongated vulva , and she will only fill / was on the one teat , so were hoping soon ! :-)

Virginia ( Patti )

Rooty
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare has started to make some udder preparations and she is at 244 days. I noticed earlier in this thread that a couple of people had had this happen, some thought it was normal, but another's mare did abort. I'll describe what is happening as best I can. Up until Mon. she had no development at all. Mon. night I thought it looked like she was developing "folds", for lack of a better description, but very slight, in fact I wondered if I was just noticing them because she is now in a stall with better lighting. She has had pouches in front of her udder since Dec. and was bred July 18.
Last night though, I know that something is going on, the folds were a little bigger and were hard nearer her body, but mostly flaccid. I hadn't been checking her in the mornings but thought I would this morning and both folds were firm and the pouches in front of her udder are definitely bigger. The teats are still hiding way up there.
I will be seeing the vet on Mon., but it will not be at our farm and can ask him about it then, but should I be placing an urgent call this weekend?
How do you know if the mare is going to abort or is just making early preparations? My boarder's mare bags up at least 8 weeks ahead of time, but this is even earlier, mine's not due until June 23. This mare is a maiden, so we have no idea what will be normal for her.

Jim T.
Posted From: 68.216.92.219
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rooty,
Really early bagging can be a sign of twins, did you have her ultrasounded early on to check?

Suzanne
Posted From: 152.163.100.13
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rooty: Early bagging can also be a sign of placentitus. I would definately consult your vet.

Rooty
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was ultrasounded at 16 days and palpated at around 90 days. I spoke to the vet yesterday and they told me that most likely this is normal for her and that as she is a maiden minor udder development is much more noticeable. Also that if she is going to abort there isn't much that can be done. The udder hasn't continued to develop since Sat. night, so I'm just hoping for the best!

Anonymous
Posted From: 67.50.232.205
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is pregnate and she is close to having
her baby and doesn't have alot of milk is this something I should be worrying about or is this natural because I just checked her yesterday and her udders are still the same size are they supposed to be?

T Peers
Neonate
Username: Topsy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that is scanned in foal with twins and we have noticed that she has just started to develop an udder - I am in New Zealand, hence the time of year! We still have 14 weeks to go. Should I be as worried as I am? thanks

Beverly Outlaw
Weanling
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't worry too much if she just started developing an udder. how many "days" is she pregnant? If she gets to 310 days you should be ok. But would still need to have vet there and milk replacer etc. Twins are rare and it is a lot harder for them to thrive... Good luck though. We have heard of several that have been born a little early and made it, even though it took many sleepless nights and patience and the money to do this.. Good luck!!

T Peers
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she is only 236 days today and so she is a rather long way from the 310 days. We know all the risks but unfortunately our vet scanned her too late - will know for next time. WE have extra collostrum etc lined up and have been saving hard so that there is money in the bank for all of them if needed. I fear that this is the worst sign and that we will lose both the babies. we are planning to send her away to someone experienced who foals mares for a living. I would rather pay someone than have all the sleepless nights. WE are not too far away from her and we will be able to go up and watch the birth and imprint and all. She will also do all the extras that may need to be done - bandaging legs, feeding, innoculating etc. thanks

Beverly Outlaw
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like you are going in the right direction. I wish you luck with her and hope everything will be fine. will keep my fingers crossed for ya!!

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 72.56.36.121
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately it sounds like she is going to abort. I wish you all the best, but it isn't very likely you'll be able to save either foal at this stage. Very sad.

T Peers
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that there is, but is there anything that a vet could do to stop her aborting? I have been reading heaps and haven'g found anything. thanks

Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there are things they can do with a placentitis to try to help extend the pregnancy into the safety zone, but also with placentitis sometimes the foal starts to develop faster too. Also I don't believe they can make the mare hold off for very long, I think they need to be fairly close to the 320 mark to begin with - although I am not sure about that. The problem with twins is that they are probably by now taking up the entire uterus, there won't be enough left to develop them to the point where they will be able to survive "on the outside". A very unfortunate situation for you, I am truly sorry to hear it. Do you have access to a vet hospital with a preemie unit? They would be best able to answer your questions.

T Peers
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we do have access to a prem unit about 4 hours drive away. I think that if she was a whole lot closer than 238 days today then I would consider it, but if she miscarries in the next 4-6 weeks then the foals aren't going to be viable anyway and we would be spending a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, if there was any hope then I would happily pay. We may just have to let nature take its course. She is looking great and is happy. We just have to hope that it is a combination of twins and a maiden mare. She is fed daily supplements, but if there is anything else that we should be doing then we are only too happy to try it or hear it. thanks

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I agree with not spending a whole whack of money (unless you have the disposable income to do so!) when the prognosis is poor. Good luck to you, and I hope your mare will be OK.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, just quickly wanted to add that my maiden mare developed a small udder at around day 230 and carried her foal to term, BUT she hadn't twinned so I don't want to offer you false hope. Apparently it isn't uncommon for maidens to do this.
I hope your mare and foals make it, but we all know the odds for the foals are low. After having my mare start to bag up so early and the worry that went along with it I'm sure the not knowing is very stressful.

Joanna
Weanling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 8 year old draft mare is 170 days pregnant with her third foal. She tends to always have liquid in her bag, kind of an opaque clear color, even when she is not in foal. But a couple of days ago, I noticed that her bag is more full than usual, and the liquid now looks like milk. She has also become very sensitive around her bag and flanks. Is any of this cause for concern, i.e. a visit to the vet, or do you guys think that it all sounds normal?
Thanks
Joanna

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that this would be a cause for concern.. she should not be bagging this soon. i have a mare that has a smallish udder even when she is not in foal and she is now almost 8 months pregnant and she has not changed udder size. i would have the vet out and check her to be sure. If she is aborting then at least you would know for sure...Good luck I haope that this is not so.. Prayers coming your way that all is fine.. i have never had a draft so don't know much about their gestation and the way it changes their body...Good luck and keep us posted...

Joanna
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a mare that is 170 days along, would her body just absorb the foal or will she expel it, if indeed she is aborting? I really hope she's not, I just want as much info as possible.
Thanks
Joanna

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Joanna,

In a mare that is that far along, her body would expel it, but of course you would probably never see it, because it would be so small. I have a link... check this out....
http://www.v-p-h-a.com/foetusdevelopment/index.htm

hope it helps...

Anonymous

Posted From: 12.28.8.20
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joanna, I would think at that stage if your mare is stalled, and she aborts, you'd find a small foal. Anything the size of a beagle ought to be pretty easy to find. We've lost some at an earlier stage than 170 days and they appeared very much like a Brier horse without hair. Good luck, hopefully, everything will be fine

Joanna
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, thanks for your help. I did go ahead and call the vet, and after thorough exam, the mare looks to be doing okay. Will be keeping a close eye on her just in case. As of right now, both mare and baby are looking really good. As for the udder development, we can't really find an explanation for it. The liquid has gone back to the usual slightly opaque color, and though she is still tender, she is not quite as sore. So, I am just hoping that it was a false alarm, but it never hurts to pray for a good outcome.
Thanks
Joanna

Renee
Yearling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joanna,
Good News! :-) You must be very relieved! Well goodluck with her... hopefully it'll all be smooth sailing for you.
Renee

Anonymous

Posted From: 12.28.8.20
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Joanna, I have to tell you, after reading this thread, I need to pay more attention to our mares udders. To tell the truth, I never worried about checking them much until they were getting close to 300 days ! (maybe that's smart, if I don't know it's there, I can't worry about it !)

Joanna
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to keep a close eye on all of the mares' udders. Also, once the fetus is large enough to be expelled in the case of an abortion, I watch the mares' hips for any softening of the muscles and ligaments. Just like when they are completely due, the bag can fill and the hips will soften. My vet gave me this info last year, and it really made sense to me, so I thought I would pass it along. :-)
Joanna

T Peers
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi there. I have posted on this thread before and my mare is still holding at 280 days. Still have a ways to go yet. Out of interest her udder did grow a little but then has stopped and just goes up and down a little each day. My question is how can we tell if she is still carrying twins? We are really hoping that she has lost one along the way (just cos it would be a whole lot less complicated and a lot safer for the one that is alive). Last scan confirming twins at about 120 days. Our farrier expressed concern saying that she was not big enough to be carrying twins. Having said that she is now getting bigger by the day - we are also "first timers" and she is a maiden so we are a little in the dark here. I have heard that you don't want to do internal scans this late on? what are the thoughts? thanks

Beverly Outlaw
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi T Peers.

Her udder should be going up and down a little. My mare was fully bagged up a month or so ago and is due the 18th of Dec. If she makes it to day 310 then the babies, (if it is two) would be more viable, but I am on a list that they have had several foals born (twins) that were around day 300. They needed intensive care (the ones that lived) but they can be saved.

The only way I know of would be a ultrasound, but of course it woul dbe too big, but if they could hear one or two heart beats...

Is she a smaller mare? Usually smaller mares get bigger because they have not ever stretched before. Is there a way you could send a link for a picture?

Maybe she will have a safe and uneventful delivery.. Good Luck! Keep us updated with how she is doing. And of course you! LOL

Lois Goines
Neonate
Username: Funny_farms

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mini that is supposedly due anytime. She has looked appropriate throughout the pregnancy until this past week. She had a small amount of pink tinged fluid leakage one day but that has stopped. There is no swelling of her udders and no milk production as of yet. She looks much smaller throughout her abdomen but there is no evidence of miscarriage. Is this normal as the foal moves into position or could she have miscarried or possibly not been pregnant in the first place?
What can I do to verify her pregnancy or lack there of. I live in a pretty remote area and have been unsuccessful in getting a vet to make a farm visit.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure of the due date? I wouldn't be super concerned about the pink tinged fluid or that she looks smaller, that could be any of the scenarios you are thinking about. Without being able to get a vet out I'm really not sure how you'd be able to tell.
Is she on fescue?

T Peers
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

will try and put up some pics of the mare over the weekend - took some a couple of days ago. She seems to be doing well. Have put her in a large grassy paddock and feeding her her brrodmare mix daily. We have decided taht we will send her away to foal as we are unable to watch her 24/7 (both work). IS it correct that it should be safe (as safe as a pregnant mare can be!) to transport until 5 weeks before foaling? the trip will be about 4 hours - that will just be taking it slowly. thanks

Magic1
Neonate
Username: Magic1

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a maiden mare that was bred between the 27th of Feb. and the 21st of March in 2005. So, she is anywhere between 20 days and 33 days of foaling date if I am figuring it correctly. There is not a single sign of a bag. Her "bag" looks just like my yearling filly. I know this mare is in foal as she was sonogrammed and then palpated later after coming home from the trainer. She is a huge built mare, but you can see she is pregnant and I have seen and felt the foal move. Is there a blood test that I could have done to see if she is producing the correct hormones. I hesitate to give her hormones if she doesn't need them. I have raised one foal who's dam died and really have no desire to go through that again if she has no milk.
I have foaled out hundreds of foals, but I never had a mare this close to foaling date without any sign of a bag at all.

Vanity (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 205.250.235.216
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't worry. Maiden mares can be sneaky. My maiden mare had little to no udder at 350 days last year and developed a full udder within 1hr prior to giving birth. So much for lots of advance notice! Some mares only bag up a few weeks before hand. I would wait longer and see what happens. Chances are she is just being a typical sneaky maiden mare and may have little to no udder development prior to foaling.

Cconner
Neonate
Username: Cconner

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that is due within 2 weeks and about a month ago she bagged up for about a week and then went down. About a week ago she bagged up nicely, with the bag getting bigger during the night and smaller during the day. However, yesterday evening it was almost gone again and this morning it wasn't any bigger. Any info? I lost a mare last year and we barely saved the colt and my sister-in-law has already lost a colt this year, I'm a little nervous. Can anyone give me any advice?

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok updated udder shot of my mare who 350 days and counting.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/c19361a0.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/cmpsp1/438c916c.jpg

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan - this is a big change for her! They may be small, but they are definately there!

Cconner
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey girls, you guys are going to get me in a lot of trouble. I don't get on the computer much but I foung this website Sunday and have got a kick out of your conversations. My mare is bagging back up again so hopefully by April 5th I will have a baby. Anyway I hope to check in a little more often, it is really enjoyable but you guys make my impatience worse, babies are always sooo exciting!!!!!!!!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan- Is she leaking...STILL?
i notice she has some on her leg...that baby HAS GOT to be RIGHT there!!!!!

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes she is still leaking off and on, I have managed to collect some and freeze it, she has times when she walks that it just streams out. Tonight she has many many small bowel movements and very loose ones at that so I will be very watchful tonight. i saw her lay and and she seemed to be doing it but alas she was just teasing me...I gave her a few choice words under my breath and turned to walk back up to the house again I thought as i turned she made a snearing nicker at me.....somewhere in that sweet horsey exterior lies the heart of a ruthless teaser....I am going to call the borough and ask if I can borrow that truck that has that giant sucker hose that picks up leaves from township streets. I think that would work to scare her into getting it done don't you? LOL

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan - I understand the snearing...Dream has always nickered to me when she sees me come out of the house...now it sounds just like ha ha ha...my family thinks I'm nuts, but I swear she is laughing at me

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me too! Tsaharah wont let me look under her willingly, she just steps far enough away so i cannnot see! turd! so if i hold her head she stands fine.
well jan i am ecpecting to see foal pictures on monday!
EVIE- YOU TOO!

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God bless you Jan it must be some special baby thats why its taking so longJust think your only 8 day ahead of us reba is at 344.
You know your getting desperate when.....you let your mare smell of the stud hopeing it will get the right hormones going....lol Ive even tryed bribery...reba will wait til my hubby is gone on his long 12 hr work shifts so I wont have any help...GRRR hubby says call but it takes him an hour to get home...Not to mention my Vet is at least an hour away GRRR.

Cheri Smith
Neonate
Username: Chiere

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T Peers, How did it all come out? Did your mare make it to near term? How were the twins?
Thanks,
Cheri'

Jennifer Myers
Nursing Foal
Username: J2324

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a maiden mare who is 8 1/2 months along. She is getting a bag already. Should she be? Its not real big ,about a little hand full.Baby is really active.Its always bouncing around in their.

Elena Vieira
Yearling
Username: Opheliaimmorttal

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Everyone,
Here's a picture of my maiden mares udder, she is 321 days today..
http://photobucket.com/albums/d111/Opheliaimmorttal/?action=view&current=DSCN027 9.jpg

thanks!
Elena

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok well today is an unforgetable day . Today was the first time I could get any fluid out of Dallas udder. So here are updated pictures. She is 311 days today.
http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/Dalls%20day%20311.jpg
http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/Dallas%20Day%20311%20-%202.jpg
http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/Dallas%20day%20311%20milk.jpg

also I have a questions I want to know what stages of milk development mares go through. Like the picture above what stage would this yellow stuff be. It is not thick but it is thicker than water.

(Message edited by jkqh on March 27, 2006)

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

progession last 3 days.
monday 335 days [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6148.jpg[/IMG]
tuesday 336 days [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6152.jpg[/IMG]
wednesday 337 days [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6157.jpg[/IMG]
im so excited to see constant forward progression! i had to share it!
side view today...[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6163.jpg[/IMG]
what do you all think? any date ideas...just for fun?

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris - I am definately going with the Saturday during the wrestling meet. It just makes sense! I am excited over her udder changes..she looks perfectly normal now. Tummy looks pretty pointy too.
I am taking another pic of Dreams udder today. It is fuller and the teats have shifted more to the sides. She had another tiny crystalized drop on the other teat this AM and it was more white than amber. I have been sick for three days so she really missed her chance to apply the foaling rules. It is supposed to rain Friday so that will be her next best shot.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GREAT, THANKS...MAYBE I NEED TO STAY HOME, SEND THE HUBBY? (MY SON WOULD BE CRUSHED IF I CHOSE THE HORSE OVER HIM, MY HUBBY IS ALREADY FEELING THAT WAY!
CANT WAIT TO SEE PICS OF YOUR MARES UDDER...SINCE THEY ARE SO CLOSE IN TIME.
SO SHE IS HAVING A LITTLE "SOMETHING" ON HER TEAT ENDS...NO FAIR...:-(
TSAHARAH HAS NOTHING THERE, AND WITH PREVIOUS PREGNANCIES SHE WAXED...SO I AM STILL WAITING FOR THAT. HER MAIDEN PREG SHE WAS WAXED 5-6 DAYS, HER SECOND A DAY OR TWO. AS OF NOW I CANT EVEN GET ANYTHING OUT...BUT IT SURE IS WARM AND TIGHT, AND GETTING SHINY TIGHT...ITS AWESOME...IM GLAD I SHOULDNT HAVE TO GO CHASING AFTER COLOSTRUM!!! JUST NEED TO WAIT NOW...

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of today, I have still not been able to express anything from her udder and her teats are not filled. I tried again this AM and she arched up like a Halloween Cat...I think they must be tender!

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya I still think Saturday! Good progress! Give hubby the choice take our son or pull a foal out??I'm sure if you explained to your son that it is a hard choice to make and you really want otbe with him at his meet but if T ended up haveing problems and you lost the foal. i'm sure he would be more crushed since he has watched you go crazy with anticipation on the foals arrival.

IMHO both Kathee and Kris you probably will be foaling about the same time. Kathee can you send me some pics of the crystalizing on the teats? They would be great for my project.

Sharon Malmberg
Weanling
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, sounds like Ruby is going to go about the same time as your girl.

Ruby looks a lot like the side picture of your girl. She was supposed to go 26th-29th according to previous owner, but her calculated (340d) due date is Apr 1st-4th. I'm kind of hoping for an April Fool's baby.

Good Luck!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a comparison of Dreams udders from 299 to 336 days. http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=Uddercompar ison299to336days.jpg

Kris- in the last pic they are not as full, but they changed shape and the teats are starting to point out more.

Lori - I have been so excited both days that I just picked the crystals off without taking a pic. I will take one tomorrow if it is there again.

Sharon - sounds like we are all together. Maybe we will have a weekend full of new babies!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KATHEE- MY PREDICTION (FOR WHAT ITS WORTH :-) ) YOUR MARE WILL FOAL 1 TO 2 DAYS BEFORE MINE...LETS SEE IF THAT HOLDS...
MINE IS OUT IN HTE PASTURE (ALONE) RIGHT NOW SWISHING LIKE THE BUGS AND FLIES ARE HORRIBLE...BUT THEY ARE NOT EVEN OUT! WHATS UP WITH THAT? SHE WAS KICKING HER BELLY, WELL NOT REALLY KICKING BUT LIFTING HER HINDS AND RAISING HER HOOF UP TO HER BELLY ABOUT AN HOUR AGO, WAS NOT EATING AT THAT TIME, NOW SHE IS EATING AGAIN.
HOPEFULLY WE HAVE AN EVENTFUL WEEKEND FOR ALL AND LOT OF BABY PICS...FROM EVERYONE!
RAVEN- I WILL DECIDE WHAT TO DO FRIDAY NIGHT, IF SHE LOOKS ANY CLOSER I MAY JUST HAVE TO MISS IT, BECAUSE NOT ONLY DO I NOT WANT OT LOSE THE FOAL, I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP TSAHARAH AROUND TOO!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee- I'd say that's just about where Avery is udder wise too.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like we have a 4 way horse race!

Ruby, Tsaharah, Dream and Avery

melissa
Breeding Stock
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does a mare's udder the same way on each foaling progress? My mare bag up two weeks, then foaled after that last year. I guess my question is do you think she will bag up and do the same this year?I know shortly after bagging up it could be over night or a few weeks. Does you all mares bag up about the same each year or does it change from each pregnant?MY mare is 316 days, but has not fill up yet.
THANKS MELISSA

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee- I think you are correct, and I'm betting everyone has some photos to share by Monday! I can't wait to see them all. I love that palomino paint colt that Dianne has.. I'm not big on paints, but he's very pretty. We had a friend who had a buskskin paint filly, I have kicked myself many times for not buying that mare, she was outstanding.

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate
Username: Kristinb

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all- my 6 year old mare is 346 days from last AI cover. She is totally bagged, nipples extended and out/down. She has had a bag for 30 days, the last 10 days, it has been full and hard, and warm. There have been no udder changes for atleast 5 days. I was able to get milk out 10 days ago, which was amber and sticky, but not now, she pins her ears at me! I thought for sure she'd go before now, she has had two previous foals and foaled out day 336 both times! I hope it's soon!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News Flash! I finally was able to express liquid from Dreams udder (336 dayds)...it kind of shocked me as i am so used to nothing. It was completely clear like water. All you experts out there..where does that put us in the milk production area? Also, she has some dried blood around her vulva and I can see the tiny veins now. Thanks to this board, I know that is completely normal and I did not panic!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 487
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee_ YEAH!!!
Tsaharah had dried blood too yesterday, she had black crunchy looking stuff on the bottom of her vulva, i picked it off and it was still wet underneath so i could tell it was blood. but i cannot see anything inside. normal i guess.
i hope i get some fluid soon...:-(
last night was a terrible night again...she stood from about 9 to 10 pm with her tail straight up in the air, then she was diggind in her straw, i couldnt tell if she was eating it, inspecting, it or what! then about 11 pm it began to storm....yeah she did not like that too much, she is not used to being in a large ploe shed during a storm. one crack of thunder she came running out frantic, i thought she was going to jump the gate! so needless to say i did not sleep well, had to make sure she did not get oo upset! shes never been alone during a storm either. poor girl. I am waiting now for the sun to come up so i can check for changes.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is what Dream is expressing. It was not dripping, I have to squeeze a little - ouch! I expected some kind of honey looking fluid, but this is completely clear. I couldn't find any support in my book so I leave it up to you. Is this normal? Should I expect honey next? Can they skip stages with milk changes?
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=01901326.jp g

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 492
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my book says the clear watery is the first stage, before the yellow, amber thick ect. your on your way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
still nothing from Tsaharah!
how hard did you have to squeeze? do her nipples look round or a bit flat yet? i am just wondering if im not milking right. I ve done it her past pregs, but its been a long time, and i just dont want to irritate her teats.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The nipples appear to have nothing in them and look like a non pregnant horse. They also are in the "dimple" stage that my book refers to. They are not recessed, but there is a little moat around them where the nipple meets the bag. I am squeezing the large area above the nipple. As a comparison of how hard - if the udder wasn't swollen and engorged, it would feel like pressure, but not a pinch...it wouldn't hurt. (Dream has has a different interpretation of this and we would be thrown off the board for her inappropriate language)

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahh haa, yah i know that language, Tsaharah uses it every time i touch her lately! LOL
ok ,so ill try that, ill squeeze higher and a bit more pressure.
what is dimple stage exactly? meaning nipple is tucked up in with the inverted ring or ????

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes - the milk has not made it into the nipple. My book says this can change very quickly and if they go into labor looking dimpled - don't worry. The labor should kick in the final stage and they should be full by nursing time.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee- that's what Sassy dripped about two days before she foaled. Gradually, it changed to looking like skim milk, then to very white before she foaled.. it sounds like you don't have much longer to wait!

Sharon Malmberg
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to bum anyone out, but I've been getting fluid that looks like that out of Ruby for about 10 days now.

The only difference now is that when I milk her I get 4-5-6 drops at a time, and not just one.

She's had veins going to her udder for 6 days now, and the udder is rock hard and very warm but not terribly large.

I don't know what to think anymore.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon- we didn't milk Sassy, it was dripping on it's own.. even when it changed to milk, she had a steady drip for two days before she foaled. When she was in labor and pushing it streamed down her leg. Now when the foal nurses, he gets sprayed with the teat he's not sucking.. poor baby is always milk faced, but he's gaining weight at an incredible rate!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know...there is nothing glamorous about birth...it is miraclous and wonderous...but not glamorous. That being said...I have just come in from one of my many udder, vulva and poop inspections for the day. Her udder is the biggest I have ever seen for her and you can forget about checking any fluid color..Dream has a very strong opinion on that. This is the first time I have not been able to work my way into a squeeze. She won't let me near them.

Sharon - I like Ev's version better where it is only a couple of days instead of 10 and counting! I'll be totally nuts in 10 days if this baby isn't on the ground (healthy).

Ev - I now have an image of a startled looking milk faced foal...very cute!

T Peers
Neonate

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just to let you guys know the feedback on the twins that I asked about ages ago. WE had one happy, healthy and perfectly normal filly on 25 January. The twin was a tiny little things about the size of a prune (couldn't see much) in its own sack and all. We were hugely happy and the little one os absolutely gorgeous and growing like mad. I think that twins would have been cute and all for about an hour and then the work (and financial outlay) would have begun! Hope that all is going well with foaling for all of you. Thanks for all your help and advice! Tracy

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T Peers - what a wonderful ending to a twin story. We don't get many happy twin endings.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ITS BIGGER! TOOK UDDER PICS THIS AFTERNOON AND THEY ARE BIGGER, THIS IS AFTER A 30 MINUTE GRAZING TIME IN THE HAY FIELD.(SPOILING HER! MAYBE SHE WILL BE NICE AND FOAL!)
[IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6203.jpg[/IMG]
SIDE VIEW [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_6192.jpg[/IMG]
KATHEE- WHAT DO YOU THINK? I CANT MILK ANYTHING OUT THOUGH AND NO WAXING. BUT SHE JUST HAS NOT MUCH OF AN APPETIE FOR HAY, JUST HER GRAIN TODAY. EVEN IN THE HAY FIELD, SHE STOOD THERE MORE THAN SHE GRAZED!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris - I am doing the happy udder dance for you! They are bigger and her belly is looking pointy! Her nipples look unaffected like Dream's. The bag looks good! Will they ever get here?

Dream has eaten her grain, but just stood around in between feedings looking miserable. They are in my 'sacrifice' pasture - all dirt. I am trying to give my little bit of pasture a break before they eat it to the roots. They have plenty of hay, but she is not interested today.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- looking better. Looks like she has dropped a bit more and fuller in the flank area. Udders definately growing. At this rate I still think sat late or early sun. IMHO.

Kathee the nipples need to elongate a bit more. That will not take too long to do. You should also be foaling by monday as long as she is progress like sheis.

Sharon Malmberg
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry E, I thought Kathee said she had to squeeze to express.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! I checked my mare last night and gave her her dinner and we have udder development!! It feels swollen - Kind of gristley. What is the GENERAL idea from here, I had heard approx 4 weeks from when they have milk (although mine is a bit further than that I am sure since we are only at day 298, and there isnt really any milk to speak of) What are you findings generally speaking, how long from milk production to foaling?

Yay - Progress!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim- Avery is up to the 6 week mark now since her udder started changing. (I'd always gone with the 30 day rule before now, again, nothing is set is stone I guess!)
Kris- now THAT is real progress, I'm so glad to see she's getting down to business, I was really worried for a time there, I think she's going to be ready to feed that elephant when it finally comes!
Sharon- no apology necessary!
GRRR.. I just have to say, I'M TIRED OF WAITING!! what a lesson in patience this has been.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DITTO EV-DITTO!!!!
I AM HOPING SHE CAN FEED THE ELEPHANT...HOPINH SHELL DEVEOLPE "ELEPHANTITIS" OF THE UDDER HERE SOON AND DELIVER THE DARN THING! WE ARE AT 339 DAYS!STILL CANT GET ANYTHING OUT THOUGH, (IVE TRIED BUT SOFLTY AS TO NOT IRRITATE THE ALREADY CRABBY WOMAN!)
HER LOWER ABDOMEN(THE PART THAT ALMOST DRAGS THE GROUND) IS JUST LUMPY! SO MUCH EDEMA, BUT NONE IN THE LEGS!
HEY I KNOW, I NEED TO EAT SOME PEANUTS BEFORE GOING OUT THIS AFTERNOON, MAYBE IF THAT LITTLE ELEPHANT SMELLS PEANUTS IT WILL COME OUT!!! :-)

Sharon Malmberg
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, I have the best luck 'milking' after I clean udder with a warm cloth, then wait a minute. The bumping and rubbing seems to get things going. She seems to like the warm towel. I tried being gentle, but she seems to like it better if I get a firm grip and go for it. You've got to get that 'stripping' action going, like you're after the last bit of ketchup in the packet.

Good Luck!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks E - Thats......nice? to know : ) Its a little early for her to be popping yet anyhow! Not even at 300 days, but come 4 weeks we will be past 320, so I was kinda hoping we were getting underway!! Never mind.....Ill have to join the queue at the end I guess : )

Ahhh, kris - I came here at lunch time and saw you hadnt posted anything, I thought for sure you must be out delivering the elehant!! Bummer.. I dont know If Im more impatient for mine, or for yours : )

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 507
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKS KIM...NOPE SORRY I WAS JUST LATE TO GET ON THE COMPUTER TODAY. BESIDES NOTHING NEW...UGH!!!HOW FRUSTRATING!!!! HOPEFULLY BY SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim- at this stage, I think I'm just impatient, period. I'm tired, crabby, anxious and excited all at the same time. ( and a little afraid of being disappointed in this baby because I have such high expectations )
Kris- we'll get our little elephants eventually, we just have to be patient..

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh god!! I have every syptom of being stressed (ulcers, headaches etc) except actually being stressed!! Im excited, scared, excited, impatient, excited... but not feeling sressed!! Glad to hear your going through all the same motions ev!!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim - great news on the udder. Dream is just slightly over 5 weeks on her udder changes. She started at 299 days and today she is 339.

My weekend schedule has become completely free so you can be pretty sure that Dream will not be foaling this weekend.

anita howard
Neonate
Username: Mofoxtrottr

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am yet another one waiting for signs of a foaling from a maiden mare. Tomorrow will be day 340. My vet was concerned that she had not started producing a bag at day 320, so he gave her some medicine daily for a week to help bring her milk on, did't work. That was a week ago, but his morning I am noticing some enlargement of the utter. I guess she will bring on the milk when she gets good and ready.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a side view of Dream's udder. I am amazed at how the surrounding area blew up. She had a little edema right in front since about 90 days. This all over milk cow look is new for her! Fluid is still clear. I tried to flick the little pice of hay off, but I couldn't get close.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=339daysudde rfromside.jpg

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee I would have to say you are just about there. The white color fluid just has to turn white and you will have your foal. Does she have any drippings on her legs? BIG CHANGE since last set of pics! Nice shine to them!
If she keeps this up maybe a foal by monday IMHO??

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 510
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOLY COWWW! wow, looks good, even her nipples are filling in! im jealous! i was finally able to get somehting out though...it was watery but yellow and very sticky! i posted about it on hte race thread. im going to go out and try to get some pics.

Sharon Malmberg
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee, nice udder! Are there some white crystals on there? I read that with and udder like that, when the crystals disappear, they usually foal within 24 hours! Congrats!

Anita, my mare does not bag up until she foals. At least with her first two, that was the case. She's got a little something going on now--who knows. Find some milk replacer just in case you need to buy some, but I'm sure she will get the job done for you.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris progress is GOOD !!!!!!!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon - if she will foal with in 24 hours of the crystals disappearing then I am going to go out and knock them off! Probably doesn't work that way, huh?

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"ELEPHANTITIS" OF THE UDDER

You guys crack me up!! This is a new one to me, but I'm saving it to use for next year :-)
(crossing my fingers that there is a new, tiny foal in there)

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 514
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you liked that one huh heather?
either that or a sap bag to collect the sap/syrup from that pine coffee table! LOL

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Wow! Wow! Changes are coming fast! Look at the new pics. Went out and found what I thought was white milk drops, but turned out to be one piece - waxy substance. Picked it off to squeeze the udder a line of milk shot out and hit the ground. Then it started dripping skim milk. Took a pic from the side also. She was a very well toned horse before this and her tummy in definately dropping to the middle. Stools are loose, no tail resistance, vulva elongated and gapping at the bottom. The most important sign is that the Patsy Cline movie is on tonight (my mare is named Sweet Dreams after Patsy's song). My faithful 10 yr old and I are on mare stare tonight!!! (sorry udder pics are a little blurry - she wasn't cooperative and I was using a flash because of poor lighting)
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=339daysside view.jpg

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Kathee,
She's getting ready for something. It may be to sit back and watch Patsy tonight, or have a baby when you crash and burn around 4 am :-).
From the pic, it looks like her tailhead is more prominent and she's getting flat on each side of her croup. Is her milk sticky?????
Her changes looks very consistant with my mares right prior to her foaling, so I'm rooting for you (but I rooted for me for 4 days, so.....).
She is a very pretty mare. I haven't seen a pretty buttermilk buckskin in a long while....she's flashy.
Definately monitor for "elephantitis of the udder"...gotta be a sure sign <snicker>.
Good luck, and I'll be watchin for pics in the AM (or whenever she sees fit to quit holding out on you).

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris
Yea, that was pretty funny. One I haven't heard before. You tell that mare of yours she better get on the ball, or you expect end tables ( a bit of color) with that coffee table.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee and Kris I still say this weekend for both of you? Good luck and when I come back on I want to see pics of foals!!!!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee,
I have HEARD the good news!!! Post pics when all settles down and big congrats out to you!!

windy fillmore
Yearling
Username: Windyf

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Here's pics of Rosie's udder. she was at day 323.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/tripleffarms/100_0397rosieudderfrontday323 .jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/tripleffarms/100_0396rosieatday323.jpg
These were taken last weekend. She is at day 329 today. I will take more photos tomorrow.

Deena
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geesh windy shes looking good....my mares udder doesnt look that good ok im jealous....cause reba is 352 days today.....

windy fillmore
Yearling
Username: Windyf

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Deena, We hope she'll wait til the 13th as that is my daughter's birthday and Rosie is her mare. 341 will be the 13th. one day over 340 is okay with me but I don't know about 352 I feel for you girl. Hang in there.

Deena
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you may have a good shot at her foaling on the 13th.Shes looking good.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee glad to see those pics of your foal. I just knew one of you would have one today!!

There is still hope for you Kris and T !

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windy - those udders look really good!

Dan
Neonate
Username: Djglae

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year I had a terrible time getting my 7 year old maiden mare bred. We tried for about three months with no luck. She was quite a ways from home, so I left her at the stallions. Well the mare care cost just ate me up, so they bred her one last time on June 17, 2005. I brought her home shortly there after, and had my own vet ultrasound her at 20 days. The vet told me the ultrasound showed her as open.

There is the background now for the question.

In the past week and a half, the mare has the beginnings of what I believe to be an udder. This will be hard to describe, but I will do my best. The teats and the area immediately around them, have no development (filling) at all (looks like a normal non pregnant mare), however the very front of the udder appears to be filling slightly. And by slightly I mean to the point that it is noticeable.

Being a small place with only two horses, I have never bred a horse, and I am not certain on how the udder would develop if she was bred. I have looked everywhere on the internet, and all I have found so far is pictures of full udders. I can not find a picture of a developing udder at all.

I put her out in the pasture the other day, and both my wife and I commented on how fat she got over the winter. I just dismissed it as feeding her a little heavier, and inactivity.

The thing is my vet has been wrong before, so I trust him about as far as I can throw him. She isn't an enormous mare, but she isn't small either. I really can't tell by looking at her (and I have studied her every move for about a week now) if she is carrying a foal or not. I would say she has the size to be carrying one, but it definitely isn't let down.

If she did take on that day in June, she would be due around May 23rd based on 340 days, so today would be about 290 days.

With all of this in mind, should I be wondering if she is bred. Specifically how does an udder develop in a bred mare. Would it be possible for the front of the udder to be filling, and not the back portion?

Just looking for someone else's thoughts because I have been wrestling with this for a few days now. I have the vet coming, but he can't get here til Thursday. Is it possible that he missed her being bred even with an ultrasound??

Thank you in advance.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan - they can definately miss a pregnancy - happens a lot. As far as looks, if I didn't know Dream was bred, I would have thought she was just fat until about the last 6 weeks. I am posting a pic of her udder at 314 days, she didn't start with anything until 299 days. The reason I am using this pic is that it shows some edema right in front of the udder which is very normal in developing udders. She had this long before she had any bag and it started smaller than what is in the photo and got larger with the udder. Sorry I don't have one from earlier. I thought it might give you a "go by" to at least see if your girl has something similar.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=Edemaat314d ays.jpg

Dan
Neonate

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee,

Thank you. That is definitely what I am seeing right there. I think I it is more edema than anything else as of right now. So that brings me to my next question. Is edema a definite sign of an oncoming udder and thus pregnancy?

Dan
Neonate

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came home this evening, and decided to take a few photos. Hopefully this describes a little better of what I was talking about. What do you think?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/djglae/DSC01379.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/djglae/DSC01380.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/djglae/DSC01382.jpg

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible she took earlier than june? I would say yes she appears to be developing an udder! occasionally a horse can go through false pregnancy too, so maybe a vet call now would be warranted...gooda luck and hopefully she is bred...wouldnt that be apleasant surprise!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan - it looks very similar to what Dream did. I have copied another link so you can see the similarities yourself. Again, this is after an udder developed, but she had it when she had no udder at all - she did not have it pre-pregnancy.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=Uddercompar ison299to336days.jpg

Dan
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is something where you definitely don't want to get your hopes up, just in case I am seeing something that isn't there.

But if she does happy to be bred, like Kris said it would be "a pleasant surprise". I guess I will find out for sure on Thursday.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to keep us in the loop!

Joanna
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is developing an udder right now, and has been for about two weeks. There is no way that she is pregnant, and she doesn't even look it. But she is really getting an udder. I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that she shares a pasture with four mares that are more than 300 days pregnant? Has anyone ever heard of a sort of carry over? I know it sounds crazy, but that is the only explanation that I can come up with. If any one has any ideas, please let me know.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare has also had that edema for about three months now - and she is 302 days today - I hope you get a foal at the end of this, It seems that you are rather hoping she is pregnant!! Good luck Dan

Sorry - Joanna, no idea about you mares 'sympathy pregnanct' : )

Cconner
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joanna, I have a 19yr old mare that is not bred and started milking in February. We figured she had a fasle pregnancy but took her to the vet anyways to make sure she did not have any tumors. Luckily everything turned out normal, false pregnancy and sill milking today. She lives for being a mom so I think it is all in her head. Good luck with your mare and look on the bright side, if you have any babies due, you might have a nurse mare. We lost a mare foaling last year and found out about Granny (she lost her foal 3 days before) and she raised our baby. If it wasn't for her we would have lost him (he is our stud prospect). Anyways, as long as she is healthy I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good luck

Joanna
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Conner. I had heard somewhere that in the wild, the mares of the herd that are not pregnant could sometimes get an udder. And if one of the dams died, then they might adopt the orphan foal. I had figured that this might be the case with my mare, as she was a wild mustang in Nevada before she was caught and tamed. I think maybe it is her old life that I am seeing her revert back to, if only a little bit.

anita kabat
Weanling
Username: Akabat

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wELL WE STILL HAVE UTTERS WAITING ON THE MILK I GUESS WHAT DO YOU THINK? [IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/akabat101/100_0188.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/akabat101/100_0189.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/akabat101/100_0192.jpg[/IMG]

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhhhhhhhhhh

I have really really small udders (not ME personally, my mare) They feel slightly warm and gristley still so I guess there is milk on the way, but I am only at 305 days... Ho hum - It will all fall in to place eventually I guess! Its just the closer I get the slower it seems its going!! Good luck to all those who are closer than me!!

Anita - You have enough milk there to feed a small herd of new arrivals dont you!?!

anita kabat
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL The funny thing is i have a clear liquid i think it is starting to get a little white but not much i wish she would come on i can't wait she will wait until i have something to do and i can't be here that would be my luck.

Deena
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anita try putting a drop of your clear liquid on something white an see if its not amber colored you may be suprised...

Dawn Garbett
Neonate
Username: Stlfarm

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare is now 351 days. The vet was out yesterday and put her on something to help her bag up. Her bag before was firm and warm, just small. She has thick sticky fluid in her bag. She got the medicine last night and this morning her bag was definitly bigger. Will the medication cause her to wax or drip milk? She has been a little tricky anyway. The vet said he wouldn't even watch the mare yet, but she is 351 days and really uncomfortable. The baby was not in the birth canal yet. What would you guys do? I don't want her to foal by herself as she is a maiden and the foal is big.

anita howard
Neonate

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dawn, my vet put my maiden mare on the medicine that brings her milk down at 320 days. It did not work, and I gave it to her for 7 days. My mare is now at 345 days, and still no bag. I chose to not put her on anymore medicine, ( I was concerned about how it would effect the fetus) I hope I did right. Everything I have been reading points to most maiden mares will bag up after giving birth, hope mine does that.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10565
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dawn: What was the mare given?

I'm surprised that a vet would give a maiden mare anything to stimulate mammary development (unless there is a known endophyte issue) - maiden mares commonly will not develop a filled udder before foaling. You might want to consider a second opinion from a veterinarian that specialises in equine reproduction (a Theriogenologist).

Dawn Garbett
Nursing Foal
Username: Stlfarm

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
She was given domperenone, I understand it is normally given to mares who have been exposed to fescue (not the case).

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10566
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Domperidone is a dopamine antagonist that stimulates prolactin production, and is used in a variety of situations where there is a lack of mammary development.

As I noted above, I would not be quick to use it on a maiden mare in the absence of confirmed endophyte toxicity.

Be aware that mares that have been treated with Domperidone will typically not develop colostrum, or if they do the IgG level will be low. It is therefore recommended that you have an alternative source of colostrum or IgG for your foal on hand, and confirm passive transfer in the foal.

anita kabat
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THanks Deena, did you see the two pics of her udders yesterday or the day before? Look at this the 1st 2 pics was yesterday i believe the second pic is today they have shrunk down and her stomach seems a little hard today i am still getting liquid 84 degrees today horse flys were busy. will it hurt the colt if i spray her udders with the faly spray to help keep the flys off? [IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/akabat101/100_0188.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/akabat101/100_0189.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/akabat101/100_0196.jpg[/IMG]

Deena
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think id spray directly on her bag my vet told me to use vinagar,water,and liquid ivory as it was safe for mom and baby it doest last to long but it helps a little.

anita howard
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, my mare was given reserpine. what can you tell me about giving that to a mare for developing a bag.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10569
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reserpine is also a dopamine antagonist.

anita kabat
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deena- You are right the liquid i am seeing is amber colored. No other changes yet besides her udders are bigger today, and i am still seeing the veins though out her belly area, and her backside is like jello. thanks about it.

Deena
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch for veins extending all the way up to her shoulder.Thats always been the last place mine get veins.hope your mare goes soon and that all goes well.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anita - sounds like your are close...but you have been that way for awhile! She can't hold out much longer unless she is in competition with Kris's Tsaharah. I think you are both right together in days.

Elena Vieira
Yearling
Username: Opheliaimmorttal

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone,
last night aspen started squirting milk!! She's 11mnths and 1 day today-maiden. i hope she'll foal soon!!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah!!!! keep an eye on her, she cant be far off now!

anita kabat
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deena- Ok I appreciate that i do see a very big vein going up to the back of her front Legs her vulva does not seem to be near as relaxed today. she is eating Good and acts as if nothing is going on. I am using the vinger and water and ivory for her udders the horse flies are already BAD Thanks.

Kathee- 1st Congrats on your Foal. Now don't start giving us a hard time because you got your foal, Your next one may drive you up the wall. LOL. I really am ready for her to foal i have never been through this before but i can say this is a learning experience. The kids are ready to my little girl wants to know what it looks like she felt it kick about two weeks ago and now she just can't wait.

Cyndi Currie
Neonate
Username: Jusblve

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm new to the website - I have 2 mares that I think could possibly be pregnant. Is it possible for a "home cut" gelding who came out to our property 2 wks after being gelded (he was 5 yrs old) and actually mounted our mares get them pregnant? One mare is older 22yrs and was used as a broodmare prior to when we got her back in 2000. The other is a maiden 6 yr old. Both mares are getting big in the belly although not like pictures I've been seeing on the net. If it was possible they would be around 292 days. The older mare also has teats that are becoming meaty/heavy feeling and when I squeeze some clearish liquid will come out. The maiden mare is beginning to develop mammary glands in front of her teats and wants nothing to do with someone messing around her belly. They have not been checked by a vet - who told me over the phone about 6 mos ago it was literally impossible. As we live way out in the country it is expensive to get him out. Any help would be appreciated. Also neither one has come into heat yet and I have a stud colt of about 18 months who is out humping anything and everything that moves right now.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10635
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it would be unlikely for pregnancy to be established, it would not be impossible in some rare instances. The only way you are going to know for sure is to have the mares checked or if they foal.

Cyndi Currie
Neonate

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any other explanation for these changes?

Cyndi Currie
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, Well, its official, seems like I must be the 2 in a million chance, but this gelding got to both of them. He is a black/white paint (QH) registered out of I believe the name was Doc Bar III???? Both of my mares are black QH - what do I do now, they are out in pasture, no barn, but a run-in shed. Any advise I'm new at this and scared to death thanks a bunch

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry too much. My mares all regularly foal out in a pasture with a run in shed. If you can keep the two girls separate from the rest of the hoses they will probably be fine. 6 is about the ideal age for a broodmare so as long as she accepts the baby there shouldn't be any worries there. 22 is a little old, so she's more likely to have problems with the delivery, but again don't stress out. I have a 23 and 24 year old mare to foal out this year and they both foaled at 22 with no problems, the odds are just higher for a complication on her. I think it helps a lot to know what to expect in an normal foaling, so I would try to get a hold of either Blessed are the Brood mares or the Complete Guide to Foaling they both do a good job of telling you what to expect and have a lot of "just in case" information that will be valuable if the vet takes a long time to get to your place. And try to smile; odds are everything will turn out okay. If your foalsí already had one rare thing happens in their conception, hopeful that will be the only thing that goes against the odds.
If you have papers on all the horses and you owned them at the time of conception you can still get the colts AQHA registered, filing the breeding report this late might cost an arm and a leg though...

Cyndi Currie
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for all the great advise. We are lucky to have a divided pasture so the girls are up close to the house. The books on the other hand are proving a bit more difficult. I've checked local libraries and called several large bookstores down in Knoxville, no one carries either. Looks like I'll be ordering on line and hopefully it won't take weeks to get them here. Thanks again, I really appreciate the info - time to take my finger off the panic button for a minute or two.

Chasity Price
Neonate
Username: Chasntom

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. I have been breeding for several years, but have a question. I have an older mare that stopped being able to carry a fetus to the fourth month on her own about 2 years ago. We have successfully carried her through the first four months twice with the use of a weekly injection of progesterone and estrogen. This mare was a ranch horse in the west adn was used hard as a youngster. She has really went down hill this year (mostly this winter) so we had decided to retire her this year. I bred the mare last spring and as directed began the P&E the 3rd day after going out of heat. Had her checked at 18 days from the last breeding. And though her embryo was not the size we expected it to be, it looked to be growing fine. It was the size of a 14 day old embryo. We checked her again at 1.5 months and everythign was fine. I continuted the shots THROUGH the 4th month. Again, we've successfully done this...this would be the 3rd foal.
The reason I mentioned the mares condition is because she stands stretched out like a mare with navicular. She's always been slow to get around, but it's gotten MUCH worse this winter. Some people with mares in this same shape have said that you might not eb able to tell a mare is bred by looking at her until the last month because of the way they stand stretched out. Also, she is a very LONG bodied QH because she has a lot of TB in her pedigree. But at teh beginning of teh 10th month I sort of gave up on her. When she was walking around she appeared to have a belly, but it didn't seem to be growing at all, and was nowhere NEAR what the other mares were. We are now in what would be the last month. Her udder seems a bit enlarged, but nowhere near what it normally would be at this state. And like I said, I had given up on her and thought she was open. But last night I found her lying down and she had TINY droplets of crusty wax on the ends of her teats. It's not the big drippy stuff that comes out right at the last, but the little tiny crusty things you'll find on a mare as early as a few weeks before she actually foals. DO mares that ARE NOT bred push stuff out of their teats too? I know this might be a crazy question, but I've never examined a non-pregnant mare for this. I guess it gave me a little hope that she actually IS pregnant. I called my vet, but he can't get out to check her until NEXT saturday unless it was an emergency. SO I'd like to know if you all have ever examined a non-pregnant mare to know if they might also push some wax out of their teats at times. This has a slight white cast to it and looked just like what I've found on my "for sure" pregnant mares and they were beginning to bag up.
Thanks!

Chasity Price
Neonate

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, for those of you who are waiting for foals, here's another one to wait for. :-) I have a BIG chesnut mare in foal to my grulla stallion. We are TRULY hoping for a filly to keep off him, but are YET to get a filly of fhim yet. Every outside mare who has bred to him has gotten fillies and we always get stud colts. Same so far this year. So we are hoping to finally get our filly. This mare is freaking me out a little. She is 341 days TODAY and just started bagging up monday night. I remember that last year, she didn't look ready to foal (compared to the other mares i've foaled in the past). Most of the tiem I know what night it's gonna happen, but this mare looked 2 weeks off. This is her third foal. Her first one she foaled at 341 days and her second at 347. So we are right here close and not much bag at all. Is it normal for a mare who is NOT a maiden mare to not "come to her milk" until the foal is born? Or should I expect her to be a little late this year? If y'all get bored you can check out or website.
www.dbarquarterhorses.com
Let me know if y'all think I should be worried about her not bagging up much and being this close!

Stormy Rood
Breeding Stock
Username: Stormyrood

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very pretty horses! I'm not an expert...yet anyway so I don't really know what to tell you since this is my first I do wish you lots of luck though! Keep us updated

Chasity Price
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay all, my mare that I posted about 3 posts above started making changes in her bag now. Also she has gottena a LOT bigger in her belly. It is starting to hang down. I went out to check her and saw that her undder is beginning to get bigger. It's not FULL right now, but bigger. It didn't look "empty" like before, even her nipples look somewhet filled but it's not TIGHT by any means. I couldn't resist a squeeze and to my suprise, with very little effort a full stream of liquid shot out. She's had little crystals (mentioned above) for a week or so, but I've not squeezed. The liquid appears clear when squirting, but if you catch it, it looks somewhat white. After squirting, a drip came out that looked more what than clear, but you could still see through it.
If this is going on, but her udder is nowhere near full, what are your opinions on how close to foaling we are? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chasity, If its the chestnut mare on your webpage she sounds like it could be any time within the next 48 hours...but mares can be make you crazy waiting on them as they have the ability to stall first stage labor for days until they feel things are right. Do you have a side view of your mare before she dropped (like at 10 months along?) I find it easier to predict/guess what sex the foal is by a side and front shot of the mare, from the picture she sure looks like she may be carrying a filly for you. :-)

(Message edited by Jan_H on May 15, 2006)

(Message edited by Jan_H on May 15, 2006)

Chasity Price
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, Actually the mare I'm concerned about is the palomino mare, mashed tater, and the picture of her on the website was added when she would have been only about 4 months bred. I am off work tomorrow so maybe I can get some new pics then. The picture of the chesnut mare on my page was taken.....nearly a month ago! You should see her now!!!! :-) SHe's bagged up tight and looking pretty close, but this other one is playing tricks on me!

Denese Cunningham
Neonate
Username: Denese

Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 05:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare who is a maiden developed an udder at 250 days. I called the vet who scanned her to dicover she had a very small amount of placental thickening at the cervical star. My mare was diagnosed with placentitis and she was started on antibiotics. At 260 days her udder started to shrink up but she started to wax up with a milk beed on each teat.

I am worried as I feel this is too early. Can this be normal for 260 days? Being my first foal I am relying on many books for infomation on this and they all say different things.
The mare seems well, eating and no discharge.

Is it possible to go to full term once these udder changes have occured?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US