SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When Is a mare overdue?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » When Is a mare overdue? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
nonenonenonePREGNANT MAREKelly05-04-02  04:51 pm
nonenonenoneParalyzed foalGynna Meiller11-28-05  08:11 pm
nonenonenonenoneMare is on day 365 never come back into season but not real bigdeck.hand@bigpond11-28-05  01:11 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Megan (130.36.61.238)
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare is 2 1/2 weeks overdue. Should I be concerned? How long is too long? My friend says maybe she's not going into labor bacause the foal is dead, could that be?

Sandy (64.158.241.214)
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Megan, my mare is 3 weeks overdue today. There is no reason to think the foal is dead because they are overdue. A mare can still safely have a healthy foal up to 400 days. I had a mare go to 370 days last year and she delivered a healthy foal without complications.
You should still be able to see the foal moving around quite a bit in your mare. He should be at approximately pre-stage 1. That is when the foal begins doing his "exercises" that he needs to do to prepare himself for entering the birth canal and delivery. The foal will usually have flurries of movement lasting for up to 15 minutes.
Start paying attention to your mare's belly, and I'll bet you'll see the foal moving.
When was your mare's due date? I'm just curious. Like I said,mine was due Mar. 9 and still hasn't foaled yet.

Jos (67.240.7.235)
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no such thing as a "due date" in the equine!!

The average range of foaling is 320 to 370 days. Live foals have been produced up to 417 days.

It is therefore highly unlikely that there is any problem with your mare or her foal.

Good luck!

Kelly (63.172.47.161)
Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that your mare is a maiden mare, however, mares do tend to foal at about the same duration each year. Although there is no exact"due date" as such in equines, ,mares will generally have a consistant gestation period from year to year.

Therefore, after the next foal, you will have a record of her normal gestation period and may be able to establish a reliable "due date" for her in the future.

Sandy (64.157.20.253)
Posted on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 371 days today and I have to say, I do believe there has to come a time when you should be concerned. I know "there is no such thing as a due date in the equine", but come on.... Realistically speaking, how many have experienced a mare going 417 or even 400 days? I understand the 400 day range is probably statistically speaking. But in reality, how many people have experienced this?
As I say, my mare is 371 days today, and she has experienced (that I have seen) 3 episodes of what I thought for sure was her going into labor within the last 4 days. All 3 "false labors" have lasted for a period of one hour, and then she is back to normal. Her milk is at the very thick honey stage and has been for 5 days.
There has to be a time when a mare is considered over due. I have my vet coming tomorrow (earliest he could see her) because of the fact that I am very concerned at this point.
If anyone has experienced a mare going beyond 370 days, I'd be highly interested to hear what your experience was.

Robert (66.183.192.109)
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy:
I breed arabians, and out of the 42 foals I have personaly delivered, only 2 went beyond 365 days, and the one that went 367 days was mildly hypothyroid and recovered in 4 days, and the other went 383 days and the foal was so severely hypothyroid it had to be euthanized. Now, I have a mare is on day 368 and I'm terrified!! I sure hope that both you and I end up with healthy foals at the end of all this! Please post what the vet has to say because I know all the readers would be very interested. I will keep you up to date on my mare too.

Sandy (65.56.45.57)
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robert,
My vet checked my mare at 372 days (Wednesday Apr.10) and said everything was fine, foal was in correct position, very active, and the mare's uterus was also fine. He predicted the mare would foal in 2 or 3 days. My mare finally foaled at 375 days (Sat. Apr.13). She had absolutely no complications, foaled without practically any warning, luckily I was there for the foaling, the only problem I encountered was I had to rip the sack off of the foal for it to breath, but the sack was not particularly tough to break. Both mare and filly are doing wonderful. My vet said it was not uncommon to see mares go 30 days over due. But he also said that in the 15 years he's been practicing, he has only seen 3 mares go 400 days.
I wish you and your mare the best of luck. Let us know when your mare finally foals.

Robert (66.183.192.109)
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone, we had a filly on Day 379, she looks big and healthy! Her sack was very thick, I will be enquiring to the vet on what may have caused it, the mare's water did not break until I broke it for her, and I could feel how thick the sack was. Anyhow, the mare foaled fine, her milk had changed about 36hrs before birth and her colostrum looks good, guess I was worried (for 40 days!!!) for nothing, whew!!

Kelly (63.172.47.179)
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job! Congratulations

Sandra Pryor (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.131.80.151
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Clydesdale maiden mare who is 373 days today. Had her checked by the vet, foal alive and healthy. The only way I stay sane is to read everyone else's expeiences!! We have had two other Clydesdale foals born this year - both fillies.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10329
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might also want to read this article on the web site to alleviate your concerns further (follow that link) :-)

Anonymous

Posted From: 66.71.221.37
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have two mares both at 387 days (both bred by AI) Mare#1is bagging and I can pull milk easily. I suspected phantom pregnancy til Jos said rarely do they go to term with the phantom.
Mare#2is about the same, small bag and clear milk will pull easily. Sigh. We are going to name them "Backorder" and "About Time" if they ever arrive.
TRACI

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have yall heard about Corona Star foaling at 445 days?I heard that it was a new record.The foal was small but was doing well.Deena

Amy Francis (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.58.17.18
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone I have never posted before and it is fantastic to read about your experiences. I am breeding my first foal this year. My mare is 24 and is at 365 days. Very worried!! The vet says both mare and foal are fine so fingers crossed!!! This will be her eight foal she probably has everything under control and finds my worrying very amusing!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US